Past Present and in Between in Pictures (Part 1)

Spardo:

Chris Webb:
Those R8s of Sid Harrisons were still doing internal work in Steel Peech and Tozers (BSC) in 1968 when I was loading out of there.

You raise an interesting point Chris, I well remember all those Scammells across the road when I was a frequent visitor to STP, and seeing the odd old Highwayman up and down the M1, but are Harrisons still going, and are they still running old Scammells?

Now that would make some good pics for this thread, especially if there were some shiny big Scanias and Volvos in the background. :smiley:

I’m afraid that they’ve gone as a working concern, there’s only Peter Harrison left, and the yard is now used as a carwash and for trailer parking. Part of the workshops is used by a tyre and exhaust fitter, although I believe Peter still tinkers with some of his old Scammells in the other part. There were still a few motors parked up behind the office (as they have been for many years) last time I went past. Peter apparently has quite a few motors stored in various places around the area, including a restored R8, a late 1920’s chain-drive tractor unit and a couple of Highwaymen, all of which used to be on display at the South Yorkshire Transport Museum at Rotherham.