What can you do to prepare for your test?

Got training/test booked for the end of next month, kind of ■■■■■■■■ it as I can’t afford to fail but then after reading a few fail stories on here, I’m wondering why I should pass and they shouldn’t.

I guess it will somewhat depend on the road route your test is on, you might get a nasty section of roundabout or whatever. There’s not a lot I can do really is there, just sit and wait and hope for the best?

I still find it a bit strange that you can go from car to a weeks training/test and after that week be qualified to drive up to 32 tonne trucks. These are big beasts to be responsible for.

ram_1979:
Got training/test booked for the end of next month, kind of ■■■■■■■■ it as I can’t afford to fail but then after reading a few fail stories on here, I’m wondering why I should pass and they shouldn’t.

I guess it will somewhat depend on the road route your test is on, you might get a nasty section of roundabout or whatever. There’s not a lot I can do really is there, just sit and wait and hope for the best?

I still find it a bit strange that you can go from car to a weeks training/test and after that week be qualified to drive up to 32 tonne trucks. These are big beasts to be responsible for.

Try get an hour or two out in the truck right before you go for the test. Get the nerves of a test out of the system, youll obviously be nervious come test time with a stranger in the passanger seat with a tablet watching your every move, but that hour before hand will really iron out the basics
Things like; Mirrors,Signal,Mirrors,Move,Mirrors are overlooked because its stupidly basic but examiners watch the basics, the stuff that any other day you dont even think about, but in a test environment turns into a brain ■■■■ and you go numb and make mistakes costing you a pass.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

The company you are training with should take you out for an hour before your test, as you will be taking the test in the vehicle you’ve been learning in, turn up early and sit in the cab, go through little routines such as pulling out at junctions etc run them through in your head.
Practice Highway Code too, obscure questions, my testers favourite sign question was what does a yellow R on a green background, it’s quite an uncommon sign but means Ringroad, he may trap you with a yellow hatch etc just don’t concentrate on the obvious he’ll throw a curve ball in too.
Main thing is on the day relax and drive treat him as a passenger nothing more.
And don’t say the most common road sign is Pick Your Own Strawberries :laughing:

With great respect, Grumpy Dad is 20 years out of date! There are NO highway code questions on the test. Rather, you will get 5 “show me, tell me” questions.

I don’t agree with the “have an hour before test” statement. My 40+ years have shown me that the first hour is often the best. Little point in showing the instructor that. Far better to give it to the examiner. But, at the end of the day, if it’s that critical maybe the candidate isn’t actually ready for test.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Any more info on these “show me, tell me” questions, any revision links or examples etc?

I failed my first 2 class 2 tests because I got myself worked up. I passed my first class 1 test as I was chilled. I was chilled as I thought I had zero percent chance of passing due to my reversing skills - but I fluked that and after not believing what I’d done was calm for the test.

I am no expert. But I reckon the examiners don’t expect you to be top notch on your test. What I mean is take it steady - if unsure at all wait and see. My examiner on class 1 said I was cutting lanes when I didn’t need too. And I’d probably now agree with her… But I’ve done many hunders of hours driving an artic since and know how it will react with near certainty.

Either way all the best. Driving trucks is not as bad as people make out on here. It can be a bit boring - but it also can be a lot of fun. I get to see some amazing new places all the time and I enjoy that a lot. It is what you make off it really. The test is not fun - but if you feel nervous on that imagine how you will feel when you are thrown some keys the next time you drive with no one to help you, a load of paperwork and having to work out how to operate the tacho for the first time!

Here’s the link for the show me, tell me questions. Our candidates are issued with a printed copy and taken through each question and the answers explained and demonstrated on the specific vehicle being used.

gov.uk/government/publicati … -questions

Good luck, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

I passed my Class 2 test first time in the middle of February. Had 3 minor errors all of which I agreed with. It was a Friday afternoon test in good weather and the examiner was not exactly busting me but I drove safely, nailed the reverse manoeuvre, and took it steady.

I felt he wanted to pass me and it was mine to lose. Had a couple of sketchy agency shifts last week and started yesterday with a local drinks distribution company. Put me in a manual waggon which was a first but the drivers mate they have put me with this week is spot on, especially as banksman.

My point, give it a go. I’m earning lower money than I want to but it’s full time with Saturday at time and a half if I want it. I get paid 7.5 hours even though it’s 4 hours maximum so my 45 hours weekly rest isn’t messed up. I’m completely new to this and the only advice I’ve had has been on here.

Take your test, pass it, print your CV off when you get all your cards back. Register with agencies get out there with your CV at transport yards. I did 10 on Monday and every one took a copy. I had a job before midday the next day.

I’m grafting as hard as I ever have in my life but I can tell driving trucks is what I want to do and they’ve stuck me a waggon that’s a manual and could’ve been to the Moon and back 5 times. I’ve still put in for Saturday morning for the £80 for 4 hours.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Peter Smythe:
With great respect, Grumpy Dad is 20 years out of date! There are NO highway code questions on the test. Rather, you will get 5 “show me, tell me” questions.

Really i have been getting highway code questions on my tests

Only on theory tests. There are no Highway Code questions on the practical driving test.

Peter Smythe:

Only on theory tests. There are no Highway Code questions on the practical driving test.

Pete [emoji38] [emoji38]

Theres a page of road signs and its whats this sign mean (2 questions like that). What do you do in this situation (2 questions like that). And then its out for a drive.

Not the case on a LGV, PCV or BE practical driving test.

Peter Smythe:
Not the case on a LGV, PCV or BE practical driving test.

Pete [emoji38] [emoji38]

Has to be a walk around or something based around a trailer, as its a different setup to rigids. It cant only be a driving test

Having been training folks in the dark art of C,CE,D etc for well over 40 years, I am fully conversant with the requirements of the driving test.

I believe we may have to agree to differ.

When you do pass they give you a supersize tube of lube and wish you well on your initial few months. Don’t do what I did and use it on the engine… YOU’LL BE SORRY!!!

Hi im new on this forum i have a test on monday class 2 rigid… i just want to nail the hill start and turning right at roundabouts any tips?? Especially hill start on a 18 tonn volvo auto

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Immy, the handbrake will hold it, and if your in doubt theres a hill hold button aswell which gives you about a half a second so when you take off the handbrake and press the accelerator you have a fluid role off. The accelerator wont engage till the handbrake is disengaged anyway, but if you plant the foot you may get a sudden surge like a bucking motion if its empty, as the computer doesnt know the difference between fully loaded truck or empty truck on an auto. You can over ride it but best just keep it in auto and focus on the manovours.

Ok bro so theres no need to put in park mode just leave it in A and use parking brake and hill assist and use acceleration to take slack off.

I would and I do on a daily basis, but if I was you id get a few opinions as this is a test situation, personally id leave it in drive and handbrake on if im stoped at traffic(like a car testhandbrake on and into 1st) but its not like its going to jolt forward likr a manual so youll be grand, in an auto no need to switch it to neutral unless your getting out or switching the ignition off. An example id use is If your in stop start traffic youll be only switching it in and out of drive so the examiner will mark you on that either for the good or bad i dont know but what i was thought was handbrake on and leave it in Drive (was thought in an Actros).

Sounds good. Will consult instructor after the weekend. It sounds right on the hill start as there is no need to turn ignition off on the test itself