So my test is booked. Advice needed!

So, I booked my 20 hour lessons and test this week - training starts on the 19th of April, I’m already nervous!

Although I know I will go over everything with my instructor, I figured I would create a post on here, asking for all round general advice for my lessons/test. I would like to know what would be classed as “major faults” and anything that can get me an instant FAIL, I’d like to hear peoples success stories/failure stories. What did you find difficult/easy throughout your training and test? How long did it take you to get used to the gear stick? What’s the one best piece of advice you would give to an absolute amateur as myself when it comes to truck driving?

Sorry for all the questions, but this is costing me a fair bit of money, so I want to be as prepared as I possibly can be - knowledge is power.

Thanks in advance!

Single piece of advice - The aim of training is not to learn to drive a truck how you can already drive a car. Took me far too long to figure this! Everything needs to be slower, and that is fine. Coming up to a roundabout you need time to plan gears, do observations, see what is coming from everywhere etc. So slow down, and take your time!

Don’t worry about the reversing test, that is honestly the easy part of the test that becomes routine (and I didn’t believe this either at the beginning!). You will get a sense quite quickly about what are major faults; don’t worry about that. If you can do a smooth safe calm drive you will pass. Don’t focus on what ‘not’ to do!

You wanted success/failure stories:

My first test I was stressed out of my mind. Didn’t honestly feel ready and I wasn’t. I was a bit unlucky with my first major fault, a wagon was parked blocking view of a junction at the top of a hill and as I pulled out to pass it I instantly knew I was in trouble. I had mis-remembered where the traffic lights were and I was almost on them already at the wrong angle. I managed to get the sides through the gap but forgot about the back right wheel which bounced over the kerb of the island holding the traffic lights. So got a major fault for steering. I don’t think I could have avoided the kerb but should have gone much more slowly and told the examiner I was going to hit it. Near the end of the test I stupidly tried to beat some traffic lights to avoid a hill start and they changed and I dropped the anchors. So got a major for approach speed. So two majors, 9 minors!

My second test I was totally relaxed; made a point of talking to the examiner before we were out of the gates. (“So have you always lived around here?”, got into a conversation about arctic warfare training in Norway!). My personal rules were “green traffic lights are more dangerous than red ones, approach them almost as if they are yellow already”, and “slow down in plenty of time for junctions, roundabouts, hazards, or if you can’t see around the next bend”. They seemed to work, I passed with 5 minor faults. One for going over white markings on road when getting into lane, one for not waiting for a car who stopped to flash me through a gap to get on with their life and move out of the way (was empty road behind them), one for hesitating before overtaking a parked car (was a truck in the distance coming the other way but actually plenty of time), one for mirrors, one for pulling out too quickly after I stopped on left to let a fire engine past. I had horses, cyclists and 2 emergency services vehicles on this test but it didn’t phase me.

So, overall advice? RELAX! SLOW DOWN! Best of luck with your training. Tim

Best advice I can give you is listen to your trainer , take everything slow and steady , look ahead to plan your driving ,ie slowing down , approach junctions slowly so you can plan and be in a good gear to pull away or be ready to stop, and keep busy in ya mirrors , look at lorry drivers as your driving around in your car you will see that most of the time they are watching the mirrors vigilantly , the main difference in driving a lorry is you drive defensively not aggressively as a lot of car drivers dont realise or dont care you need more room and can do things that are downright dangerous to be honest , but your trainer will guide you and train you in the right way to deal with all this and before long will be second nature ,
good luck :slight_smile:

Listen, listen and listen more. Don’t be afraid to ask questions no matter how daft they might seem to, the instructor has. Probably all been asked the same question a 1000 times. If you don’t understand something ask again.

Mirrors, mirrors and more mirrors, oh and don’t forget your blind spot on the drivers side. When checking your mirrors don’t just move your eyes, over emphasise looking in them move your head and shoulders. Get out of the habit of using the interior mirror in your car(trucks don’t have one).
Think of approaching a hazard like opening your front door. You wouldn’t just run up to it and then try doing everything at once.
You walk up your path, take your key out your pocket, put it in the lock, pull the handle and open the door. So in a truck do the same plan your steps. See the hazard and take the right approach. Mirrors, slow down, get the right gear ready to make your next move.

The reverse really is easy as said above.

Don’t cut corners or you’ll hit the kerb and they don’t like. Their could be a little kid stood on that kerb waiting to cross.

don’t forget to relax and breath, enjoy the experience.

If you can remember taking a breath without looking in your mirrors, you’ve just failed.

Seriously, just do as your trainer tells you.

Thanks for the tips guys!

Nervous already!