Bit nervous...

…after three days Cat C training a few things haven’t clicked yet and I’m wondering how far behind the game I am to pass next Wednesday. Really not getting the mirrors thing between gears, approach speed to junctions too fast, gear selection when slowing to prepare for pulling away again and mirrors before pulling away. Two full days left and a warm-up drive before the test.
Am I being a bit defeatist or am I in the same place as a lot of drivers?

Hay, what kind of truck are you driving ? where abouts in the country r u training ? how many hours have got in so far ?

Lol-dont worry,you are in the same place as lots of us have been!

Don’t over think it.“use the force, Luke”. You’ll be fine

It does seem confusing as it feels like there’s so much going on at once. The secret is to do everything slowly and EARLY. This means reacting to instructions instantly, not 5 seconds after you hear them. Imagine each hazard is 20 yards nearer and get the gear by that point.

To be honest most trainers demand a higher standard than is actually needed to pass. This is partly to allow for the inevitable nerves.

You’ll be fine as things click into place in your head. The driving is only 40% the thinking is the rest.

Good luck

You are where you are, there’s no point worrying about it.

Just do your best, and the test examiner will see you for what you are. If you’ve got it all together, and/or if you get some lucky breaks on the test, you’ll be just fine. If not, the worst that can happen is you’ll have to fork out some more money on training and another test.

It isn’t easy, so don’t expect to just sail through it. Concentrate, listen to your instructor and do what they tell you. You’ll be fine - good luck!

Sounds like you may be still driving it like a car. As LGV Trainer said, do everything early. It will seem too early to you - but until you become really competent with all the controls you need as much time as you can get.

Don’t be impatient, take your time, breathe and enjoy!

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Try to imagine you have a really heavy load full of bottles of beer. You need to drive the truck as smoothly as possible being in the right gear all the time to either gain speed, turn a corner or prepare to stop without rocking the load about. The mirrors issue, basically you need to be aware of idiots like cyclists etc at all times. Think I’m changing gear for a reason and whenever you complete an action in a truck you’ve got to be aware of everything around you as it isn’t as easy as a car to take evasive action (don’t want to break a bottle of beer [CLINKING BEER MUGS]). As said you have to think much further ahead than in a car. Wish you luck on the test

Thanks for all the advice! I’m driving a 53-plate 18T Scania 194 (4 over 4) with a demountable body and 5T of water in tanks as ballast. It’s seen better days and will be replaced soon. Drives ok really, I have driven worse.
It is about the early thing as Peter said - I’m not doing stuff in time and then find I’ve got so much to do I don’t know what to do first and end up doing nothing, or everything badly… After reading what you’ve all put though, I’m sure I can succeed, as I do quite a lot quite well.

Just failed my first class 2 test in a manual split gear box it’s the first time I have driven one, got my test again this week, only was allowed 4 days training with the test on last day was nervous and everything just went wrong on the day. Thinking cap is on if it’ makes you feel any better.

Cheers Chris31 good luck yourself for next time, at least you know what to expect.

Don’t build pressure on passing first time, I did that and I failed before I even got out on the road. Sometimes it does take more than one stab at it to get it right.

I passed in Jan on the way to the test I forgot mirrors, blind spots etc, my instructor said I needed to stop over thinking and just chill a bit ,all I could think of was more money If I did fail But I passed with only 3 minors , As long as you give a safe drive and not panic it goes well :smiley:

Hi I was nervous and I did fail my first time but I called it a practice test I know where your coming from it’s the thought of pulling more money out the bag and more waiting time. You have to forget about it all and just crack on just remember to think of everything as you go take your time it’s their clock not yours on test.

Try going to a gym a few days before do some weights and bit of everything don’t kill it cos your probably not used to it and you don’t want to be sore for the test but what you will find is that your muscles will absorb your stress and you are also loosening your body up and your mind it might sound a bit silly but it works for me

Automatics are easier as half of your distractions have been taken away
Drink a coffee before you go in walk round the truck 5 times your sihking your self up

Good luck
Remember the examiners got a bucket of water in his hand
If in doubt don’t pull out

Funny you should say Gym thats my thing 5-6 days a week weight training :laughing: beendoing it for years my missus thinks its weird :laughing:

Anyone else get trouble using a ipad I read things back and its just dosnt make any sense at all :unamused:

Test tomorrow. Have to agree it’s a case of doing what the instructor says. I’ve had two days with one instructor and three with another, I’ve really appreciated both of them. Did the reverse today. The explanation I got was clear and I did the exercise with no problems three times. Couldn’t be happier about tomorrow. If I fail it’ll be bad luck at a roundabout, or I clip a kerb.
Good luck to anyone doing your test soon!

Sumsmeister:
Test tomorrow. Have to agree it’s a case of doing what the instructor says. I’ve had two days with one instructor and three with another, I’ve really appreciated both of them. Did the reverse today. The explanation I got was clear and I did the exercise with no problems three times. Couldn’t be happier about tomorrow. If I fail it’ll be bad luck at a roundabout, or I clip a kerb.
Good luck to anyone doing your test soon!

Good luck for tomorrow :slight_smile: my c+e is 10.15 tomorrow hopefully all idiots will stay off the road and roundabouts will be clear :smiley: I can but dream :smiley:

Good luck for the test, that’s pretty much most of it now. On a good day you’ll pass, on a bad day you’ll fail, regardless of how well you can drive.

Sumsmeister good luck and let us know how you got on.