Right! Nervous now

Have my Assessement Drive booked for Thursday at 10am.

Just wondering what to expect? Do they take you for a drive first or just hand you keys and say show me what you can do :laughing:

Must admit feeling a tad nervous now…

Do not worry mate.Try and enjoy it.
They may give an introduction of their firm.
How they operate.
An informal chat.By this time,your nerves will have gone.
Maybe a short basic tacho rules test.
Before going out on a road test,you need to show them safety checks.
An employer will show you the route.
No need to get worked up.
If you can check something on the truck,like the oil dipstick,it may be on the dash.
Just ask.
Check radiator level.
Windscreen wash level.
Horn.
Road Tax/O licence expiry.
Wheel nuts.
Tyre condition.
All lights.Ask him to check brake lights.
If loaded,secure the load.
Do not rush.
Take your time.

I think on mine the instructor took me out and drove for a while, explained controls etc, then I took over. Dont panic, you are there to learn, not to pass a test. We all start somewhere and even the best will have been nervous at some stage

Good luck

Steve

just hand you keys and say show me what you can do

If that happens, walk away. But hopefully you’ll get an explanation followed by demonstration. Then the opportunity to have a go.

Consider having at least two assessments so you can judge the difference.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Perhaps have you driving round a few cones, stop/start, might seem pointless but I found teaching people off the road, getting them used to the air brakes and getting them used to the moving off procedure, with out the worry of surrounding traffic. This also give the instructor a brief insight into how well you listen/react to instructions. Good luck with it, you will enjoy yourself :grimacing:

Don’t worry, it isn’t too bad! As said they will either take you off road (was airfield for me) or a quiet wide road, or both. It takes longer to get up to speed in a truck and that is fine. It takes longer to stop in a truck and that is fine too. So don’t rush anything and it will go fine! you will probably enjoy it!
Best of luck. Tim

What I do is on arrival have a brief chat with the candidate to get a idea about their experience on driving vehicles.

I then sit the candidate in the driving seat getting them to adjust the seat so they can reach the pedals and steering wheel comfortably and then ask if they can see out of the mirrors and ask what they can see.

I then explain where indicators, wipers, horn, lights and handbrake.

Then a detail explanation of the gear box followed by going through the gears before setting off.

I then get the candidate to set off down a quiet lane reaching approx 20 mph then press the brake and come to a halt (this is so I know they can stop the truck)

We then have a drive round the industrial estate where I’m based then on to the local bypass which is a straight easy “A” Road.

After about 25 minutes we return to my base getting them to reverse into a parking bay.

I then debrief them and quote a course duration, price and possible training and test date.

I hope this helps

Paul :smiley:

elmet training:
What I do is on arrival have a brief chat with the candidate to get a idea about their experience on driving vehicles.

I then sit the candidate in the driving seat getting them to adjust the seat so they can reach the pedals and steering wheel comfortably and then ask if they can see out of the mirrors and ask what they can see.

I then explain where indicators, wipers, horn, lights and handbrake.

Then a detail explanation of the gear box followed by going through the gears before setting off.

I then get the candidate to set off down a quiet lane reaching approx 20 mph then press the brake and come to a halt (this is so I know they can stop the truck)

We then have a drive round the industrial estate where I’m based then on to the local bypass which is a straight easy “A” Road.

After about 25 minutes we return to my base getting them to reverse into a parking bay.

I then debrief them and quote a course duration, price and possible training and test date.

I hope this helps

This is pritty much what happened!

Went well i think, Clipped the kerb once and struggled going from 4th to 5th gear a bit.

Really looking forward to passing theroys now andgetting course booked!

Well done, one kerb - not bad! When you say 4th to 5th I assume it was a 4 over 4 or 4 beside 4 box, which takes getting used to. You might want to shop around for a training school that has automatic trucks; as of last week you can pass in an auto and get a manual license if you have a manual car license. Best of luck - keep us posted when you book your training!

Clipped the kerb once and struggled going from 4th to 5th gear a bit.

So the easy way out of that is to learn in a short wheelbase vehicle with an auto box.

Just happen to have those on fleet!

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Peter Smythe:

Clipped the kerb once and struggled going from 4th to 5th gear a bit.

So the easy way out of that is to learn in a short wheelbase vehicle with an auto box.

:laughing: :laughing:

I kind of agree with what Pete says.

But my primary advice is to have at least another assessment drive with a different training provider and then decide which you feel most comfortable with.

Update.
Passed my Theory & HP today :smiley:

CPC Mod 2 booked for 2nd June.

Training booked 16th June eeeeeeek :smiley:

bcfc1710:
Update.
Passed my Theory & HP today :smiley:

CPC Mod 2 booked for 2nd June.

Training booked 16th June eeeeeeek :smiley:

surprised you did not do mod 2 at the same time as the other theories …