First Class 1 job

Hi
I passed my Class 1 yesterday at 10.30am and by 5pm had been offered a tramping job in a Scania Topliner. Mulling it over as it’s in at the deep end so any advice would be much appreciated. Have been reading all previous threads but always willing to learn so thanks in advance!

Not got my licence yet so advice is out… but well done mate and enjoy.

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

Well done on the pass bud. That’s a very good offer there as long as your not being lured to the fire pit by the offer of a Scania.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks! Was blown away as thought I’d failed…being lured to the firepit-well, this is what I’m hoping to avoid! The job is mine if I want it so am going back tomorrow to discuss further…its an 05 630 V8 twin axle with fridge, freezer & microwave etc -all very tidy inside so I just want to push him on the work…most of it running out of Immingham down to the Midlands and occasionally Tilbury I think. Wont pay for truck parks/stops so layby’s it would seem is the only other option… Have to say that the cab feels huge in comparison to the Volvo I did my test in!

While it’s good you have got a job so soon after passing never take a job for the truck. This one is 12 years old, why is it parked up with no driver, go for terms and pay, do you want to live in a layby, how many hours do you have to work.

Its a difficult one mate.

On the one hand its a job offer, it probably won’t be the best payer which is why he’s making sure you like the lorry even if it is getting on a bit (that bit wouldn’t worry me), but he’s said straight away he isn’t paying parking, which tells me there isn’t a lot of money to be wasted there, but he’s being straight with you and prepared to give you a start.

Assume you’ll be working long days so whatever the weekly wage is divide the top line by 60 to give you a mean average hourly rate, do not include night out pay in the calculation, N/O pay is not wages though some employers and drivers think it is, its compo for being away in a bloody lorry.

Yes its the deep end, and there is much to be said for an older lorry cos if you scratch the bugger it won’t be the end of the world, most of from the previous gen started on old stuff, it was around 11 years before i got issued with a new lorry.

Go with your gut feeling, is the man a decent bloke or a thug and con man, not suggesting he is cos i wouldn’t know him from a bar of soap, if you hate working for him and give your notice in after 3 months how do you feel about approaching him, will he stitch you up with money he owes you.

Age of lorry means nothing, i started many years ago on the scabbiest fleet in the area, but the pay was considerably better than most, getting on the cream jobs really was dead mans shoes in those days and i would suggest those days are back, i have no regrets starting at the bottom and working me way up.

Juddian:
Its a difficult one mate.

On the one hand its a job offer, it probably won’t be the best payer which is why he’s making sure you like the lorry even if it is getting on a bit (that bit wouldn’t worry me), but he’s said straight away he isn’t paying parking, which tells me there isn’t a lot of money to be wasted there, but he’s being straight with you and prepared to give you a start.

Assume you’ll be working long days so whatever the weekly wage is divide the top line by 60 to give you a mean average hourly rate, do not include night out pay in the calculation, N/O pay is not wages though some employers and drivers think it is, its compo for being away in a bloody lorry.

Yes its the deep end, and there is much to be said for an older lorry cos if you scratch the bugger it won’t be the end of the world, most of from the previous gen started on old stuff, it was around 11 years before i got issued with a new lorry.

Go with your gut feeling, is the man a decent bloke or a thug and con man, not suggesting he is cos i wouldn’t know him from a bar of soap, if you hate working for him and give your notice in after 3 months how do you feel about approaching him, will he stitch you up with money he owes you.

Age of lorry means nothing, i started many years ago on the scabbiest fleet in the area, but the pay was considerably better than most, getting on the cream jobs really was dead mans shoes in those days and i would suggest those days are back, i have no regrets starting at the bottom and working me way up.

Nothing to argue with here.
So long as a truck is correctly maintained age is no disadvantage really. (MPG may be crap but that’s the boss’s lookout).
Not paying parking sounds warning bells, but isn’t enough by itself to say ‘no’.
Do you know anyone else driving for this guy? How did you come to get the job offer? Is it a ‘brilliant job’ but ‘always looking for drivers’ situation?
Taking on a lesser paid job for a spell yo get dome experience msy be acceptable to you? Depends on your situation.
Try to find out a bit more about the place.
Maybe worth a go if you’re not quitting a good job to take it up.
BUT be prepared to walk away if it turns out to be a bent 'un.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

I assume it’s a manual? Did you train in an auto? That would take a bit of getting used to

paulweller84:
I assume it’s a manual? Did you train in an auto? That would take a bit of getting used to

If you normally drive a manual car, and only have limited time in autos, then although a manual truck will involve a little more at first, but shouldnt be too difficult, Id suggest?

Depends if someone shows him how to use it. Having watched people crash my own 8 speed trucks about sadly a lot of damage can be done if it’s in inexperienced hands.

Forgetting to switch to high range when going from 4th to 5th for example, and inadvertently getting 1st gear. Had to replace a gearbox 3 times on one vehicle due to it.

paulweller84:
Depends if someone shows him how to use it. Having watched people crash my own 8 speed trucks about sadly a lot of damage can be done if it’s in inexperienced hands.

Forgetting to switch to high range when going from 4th to 5th for example, and inadvertently getting 1st gear. Had to replace a gearbox 3 times on one vehicle due to it.

Very surprising! Id have thought it would take more than a little force to get it into first when at 4th / 5th speeds? Maybe lucky it wasnt a broken engine too!

Nervous candidate with a tense grip on the stick can do ‘wonders’ to a synchro. [emoji849]

First of all, thanks for the advice and comments which are really appreciated.

To refer to some of the comments;
-started week’s training in an auto (which then went into workshop all week) so ended up having four/five days in manual 4 over 4 and did my test in the manual
-Juddian and Franglais-much thanks-basic is 525 per week. I’m going back later this morning to meet him and his son to try and get a bit of a better idea of them and the set up.
-The Topliner is really clean inside except for cigarette smell!
-Apparently its one of the best for MPG -so he says.
-I don’t know anyone who drives for them and how did I get the job? I just sent them a very brief email as I had seen they were looking for a driver a month ago and he called me within about 3 hours and I went straight over…essentially the set-up is pretty typical ‘old school’ small haulage company with their own workshop and they run 17 Scania Topliners-tippers, walking floors and curtainsiders
I have also spoken to Longs of Leeds & as soon as my licence is updated at DVLA and they can see it on line they are prepared to take me on IF their existing vacancy is still open. They pay for secure parking etc and if anyone knows about them be glad to hear what others think.
Thanks once again.

Seems like you`re going in with your eyes open. You may just have landed on your feet here. Good Luck, hope it all works out.

I tried tramping the second job i had .was pretty stressful .Make sure you get night out money on top of 525 .The average tramping job i have had is 600 in bank for 62-65 hours @£25 per night out and i am new aswell.well 11 months in .but that was after 2 months .

My tips for you are, buy some bungy cords to suspend the air lines on the back of your cab, this stops the lines getting tangled when you turn and getting grease on them .
If you are doing a tight U turn, take off the air lines, press the shunt button on the trailer, this prevents the lines being broken and getting caught in front of the trailer, if you break a air line or electrical line, that is you waiting for a fitter for new ones, and the trailer brakes will stop you going anywhere soon.
Once turned around, re connect the lines .
Tupperware boxes are handy to store spare pens, bulbs and fuses.
Buy a camping gas cooker for in cab meals.
Aldi and Lidl canned food is good and their noodles .
A Thermos to save money on rip off Msa coffee .

Thanks for all the advice from everyone-really appreciated

Toby what length bungees??

Second visit and discussion was really positive and reassuring. I was honest, asked loads of basic questions and he said that ‘we all have to start somewhere, we’ve all had to do it and learn on the job’ and offered to ride with me for a few days when I start. We agreed that I would start when I get my licence back from Swansea-even though he has seen my Pass certificate, I would prefer he see my licence. He told me to invest in a truck sat nav and again, happy to hear others views-he said get the Snooper with the 7" screen.

BubbaC:

Second visit and discussion was really positive and reassuring. I was honest, asked loads of basic questions and he said that ‘we all have to start somewhere, we’ve all had to do it and learn on the job’ and offered to ride with me for a few days when I start. We agreed that I would start when I get my licence back from Swansea-even though he has seen my Pass certificate, I would prefer he see my licence. He told me to invest in a truck sat nav and again, happy to hear others views-he said get the Snooper with the 7" screen.

Congrats on securing a job…As for bungess.Might not need them if the suzies are on an A frame…Luckily mine are.But if not you’ll need a long one to go across.And then 3 or 4 short ones to get them higher.As for sat navs.There are cheaper options than snooper/tom tom etc…Although you wont get live traffic info with those…Invest in a truck a to z too.Philips or the aa one.Both good.Enjoy the tramping.As it can be an enjoyable experience if you make it so…

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

BubbaC:

I brought a 45 quid novatec off ebay. I’ve only been using it 2 weeks but no problems so far