A.K Worthngtons

Been offered a full time job here, start on The 8th of April.

Not heard great things about them from Tarmans post but Im really made up I’v been offered my first full time driving job after working for 6 months on agency! was wondering if I could get some advice from people that have recently worked there or do work there at the moment. Ill be driving Class 2 for now and then going onto class 1 at some point in the future.

Couple of questions as well!

do you have your own wagon or are you cab hopping?

How often do you get paid weekly or monthly?

Also they said that i would be transporting basically anything that goes on a pallet… But what sort of places will i be dropping to and what sort of stuff? Will it wharehouses, house, shops etc?

Cheers in advance

Kev

Hi good luck with it!

I give it a miss but I hope it works out for you. I don’t have any details about what work they do, I think its mainly curtain spider work (on the class 1’s anyway), should imagine the class 2 is more local. I’m sure the class 2 trucks are MAN’s aswell from what I’ve seen.

Did you apply for the class 2 specifically or is that what they started you on? The ywere advertising class 2 drivers and day and night class 1 drivers.

Yes applied for class 2, got my class one test…again… fairly soon!

The work does appear to be fairly local and like you said its the C1 that does the distance stuff.
There all scania’s at AK’s P230s IIRC.

Ill let you know how i get on

It would be interesting to know what the driver turnover there is.

I too would be interested. You’ll have to put some updates on to let us know how you get on. I kind of feel like I missed an opportunity but if I quit my job and started there and had an accident/incident and got the sack I really would be buggered. I doubt they’d give me a second chance anyhow seeing as I didn’t turn up. I didn’t even have a number to ring them on. Did you speak to a guy called Matt?

Those questions should have been asked at interview not on here.
After reading the last thread about this company all I can say is
Good Luck!

just to add my two-penorth i did six month with them on nights running pallets to Lichfield,and to be honest,id heard all the horror stories,but i never had a problem,with either office staff,yard staff or the trucks,money wasnt bad,what more can you say?Speak as you find!! :grimacing:

Jack-knife:
Those questions should have been asked at interview not on here.
After reading the last thread about this company all I can say is
Good Luck!

I just totally forgot to ask them as I was flabbergasted I’d been offered a full time job on the spot!! Ill find out no doubt… Take care

Congrats on passing the C+E and sorry to hear that you’ve got a job at AKW :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Honestly, I know lads that have been there years, I didn’t last a week, others never finished the day and others that left as soon as they entered the office and got treated like a piece of crap off the muppets behind the desk.

Good luck with it though, just remember, it’s paying the bills and giving you experience until you find something better or settle in (it must happen) :smiley:

Don’t know much about them but as they seem to have a permanent advert on their site for drivers, and judging by the advertised rates, I’d say the turnover of drivers is probably fairly high.

Best of luck with the job however, you may find it suits you! :wink:

I must admit Iv not heard great things! But I have told my agency I’m on “holiday” next week so ill give it at least a week and then see where I stand then. I just hope I like it and it suits, as its only 10 mins down the road from me, ill save a fortune in diesel, and they have artics there as well that they will hopefully put me on.

I seem to be seeing these trucks all the time now on my way to work, think they must have a main delivery point in Warrington. You were right the class 2’s are Scanias. I think it was smaller truck which I saw which was a MAN. You should be able to get some good experience with them I reckon.

Re: all the horror stories, I heard some about my place but all unfounded if you realise that general haulage is general and will involve some crappy drops & collections. AKW is in Palletforce and Partnerlink and the drivers that I’ve met seem happy enough. Just remember to give your ‘Partners’ a flash & wave.

PS: good luck and I’m sure you won’t need it.

All the horror stories you hear are most likely to come from drivers who are used to doing trunking, or full loads from A to B. Multi drop wont be their cup of tea and they are unlikely to stick the job for too long. Their time spent doing multi drop won’t have been pleasent to them and thats the message they will give to you. Try the job and make up your own mind. You might wonder where the horror stories are that folk have told you about, or you might see them first hand for yourself. Either way, it should be good experience for you. Good luck.

Just crack on mate.

If no good then keep looking for something else. End of day its better to be earning and looking, rather than looking whilst not earning.

damoq:
All the horror stories you hear are most likely to come from drivers who are used to doing trunking, or full loads from A to B. Multi drop wont be their cup of tea and they are unlikely to stick the job for too long. Their time spent doing multi drop won’t have been pleasent to them and thats the message they will give to you. Try the job and make up your own mind. You might wonder where the horror stories are that folk have told you about, or you might see them first hand for yourself. Either way, it should be good experience for you. Good luck.

Couldnt agree more mate, im used to awful multidrop jobs so this may even be a walk in the park! They said there is barely any handball etc so to me it sounds like pump and dump :slight_smile: . Wouldnt mind trying to scope out a tramping job on C+E with them though! The sooner im off multidrop the better! Not that I dont enjoy it (at times!) but its a step in the right direction for sure!

mbax81:
Just crack on mate.

If no good then keep looking for something else. End of day its better to be earning and looking, rather than looking whilst not earning.

Exactly my train of thought Mbax! If its shocking just bare it until something else pops up! It has to be better than some of the jobs iv worked at!! Im just happy to be off agency and have some regular work!

You’ll be alright, despite what we’ve all said its a full time job doing summat you love and if it turns out to be crap then just put up with it until you find better. Its more of that ever so precious experience :smiley:

Tarrman:
You’ll be alright, despite what we’ve all said its a full time job doing summat you love and if it turns out to be crap then just put up with it until you find better. Its more of that ever so precious experience :smiley:

Never a truer word spoken Tarrman! Only 18 months now until I have the golden 2 years! :laughing: :laughing: