First Class 1 job

I had two Lgv sat navs, both with the television, both broke down so I binned them.
The bridge height mode was handy if diverted off route.
The tv was hit or miss with reception.
I have a Novatec now, does the job ok.
Will miss the t.v. with winter looming, see a film .
If you drive with the window, in old age, you may be deaf, foam ear plugs, and good for noisy laybys.
Unsure of a narrow lane rural delivery, get out and check the escape plan.
The cost of a tow truck or a crane is eye watering.
A fridge got jammed in a Cornish village.
Crane had to lift the trailer in the air.
Snap is accountable parking, you don’t pay.
Always check your pin, in case someone pulls it for spite or revenge, it does happen.
A dropped trailer is not good.
Some do it for a prank.
Some basic medicine for diarrhoea, and headches is ideal.
Hand sterilizer.
Baby wipes for a wash when no shower.

Well done to you mate!
It’s fantastic to see a newbie being given a chance!
I might be being blind here, but did you happen to mention what sort of work you’ll be doing? E.g. What sort of trailer are you pulling?
I’m sure we could all give you a few tips if needed.

Best of luck!

Cheers Chunkzilla…I was worried that I would struggle to find anything/anyone willing to give me a chance so I’m immensely grateful to my new boss for taking me on.

Work is curtainsiders which come into Immingham-so pick up and deliver, pick up another load and make my way back to Immingham again…mostly running into Midlands & Lancashire & once a week to Scotland. Essentially working as a subbie for a Dutch company. Go away Monday & home friday.

I’ve looked at the other advice threads for newbies & the lists of what to take/get together etc but as per previous, would welcome any advice/support-however basic. Cheers

They company are running 05 plate trucks and won’t pay for truck stops/parking…if tell em shove it.

Well done on passing your class one, it’s not all doom and gloom but can be a bit daunting until you find your feet.
Best advice to give a new starter wether into a company or into the industry is avoid asking a question which will attract negativity, there’s always a driver out there that’s been there and done it or claims they know someone who has.
Every day is a learning day, wether from another driver or from a loadie, they will show you short cuts strapping down, opening curtains, coupling and uncoupling, everyone will have a different method, take on board what’s easiest and safest for you, it’s your health and it’s your license, so never say you can if you can’t.
Drive safe

Congratulations on the pass & the new job. if the motor is permanently designated to you give it a proper clean inside with a vacuum, antibacterial wipes and plenty of air fresheners… If the motor has been sat for some time be sure to give a thorough check of worn tyres etc. Make sure all fluids are topped up/no cracks/leaks to the fluid housings. & make sure you lock your fuel cap every time you fill up & all the best ofc :-')

Thanks GrumpyDad and SouthEastCashew.

I’m going to the depot/yard tomorrow to start cleaning the cab-its pretty clean generally but I want to make sure…I’ll take the curtains down and wash them as well. I start as soon as my licence gets updated at DVLA so maybe by the end of this week-which gives me time to sort my gear etc. …The condition of the unit is good-he said they don’t cut corners etc with basics such as tyres, and I asked him about vehicle checks etc. Any issues they will sort themselves as they have their own workshop and do repairs/servicing for others as well…I thought it was an 05 but its actually an 07 and its going at the end of the year for a newer one.

Does this bloke do powder tanks too ?

No-curtainsiders that come in form Holland, some tippers and some walking floors mainly

BubbaC:
No-curtainsiders that come in form Holland, some tippers and some walking floors mainly

Got a mate who pulls trailers out of immingham, does a bit of everything curtainsiders, tippers, fridge and powder tankers

Lugging over night kit from home to the car to the cab, can be a pain.
Here’s my tip, get two of what you need.
Bedding ,pillows, wash kit, toothbrush and toothpaste, shave kit, washing up bowls, and so on, so you leave it in the cab for days off and holiday or leave it in the car.

All my stuff stays in the truck unless I’m on holiday, too much to cart about.
Cricket bag with 3 weeks worth of clothes.
TV
Satellite
Fold up Chair & table
Wash Kit
Bedding
Sat Navs x 2
Maps
PPE
ADR kit
Crate with tinned food
Crate with DVD’s
Kettle & Pans
Cooker
Plus a ton of crap I’ve collected between holidays :laughing:

RG & EA Thackray & Son is this the company you have work with.

Grumpy Dad:
TV
Satellite
Fold up Chair & table
Wash Kit
Bedding
Sat Navs x 2
Maps
PPE
ADR kit
Crate with tinned food
Crate with DVD’s
Kettle & Pans
Cooker

'kin hell…are you out for 3 weeks at a time mate? :astonished:

carryfast-yeti:

Grumpy Dad:
TV
Satellite
Fold up Chair & table
Wash Kit
Bedding
Sat Navs x 2
Maps
PPE
ADR kit
Crate with tinned food
Crate with DVD’s
Kettle & Pans
Cooker

'kin hell…are you out for 3 weeks at a time mate? :astonished:

Depends, some trips just over 2 weeks others possibly 4 :frowning:

xichrisxi:
They company are running 05 plate trucks and won’t pay for truck stops/parking…if tell em shove it.

Now we know who he is going to work for if you google them there seems plenty of 64/65 plate lorries as well.

Maybe as he just passed they are deliberately giving him the oldest truck to potentially scratch/damage before he gets a newer one in the fleet.

As for parking, where I work now pays for parking but I managed for 9yrs before that at companies that didn’t pay parking and only suffered laybys when plans went pear shaped. Just keep your eyes open when jollying about to spot good places near pubs/chippys/supermarkets etc.

I reckon this job seems good for a newbie, they will probably leave him on curtainsiders for a bit but when work dictates or drivers off im guessing they will show him how to do the bulkers and walking floors which I see as a bonus.

Sorry guys-just seen these newer comments!

Really grateful for all the valuable advice and comments.

Walked as to many issues. End of. I’ll put it down to experience and learn from it.

BubbaC:
Sorry guys-just seen these newer comments!

Really grateful for all the valuable advice and comments.

Walked as to many issues. End of. I’ll put it down to experience and learn from it.

Issues you can’t leave it there, what was wrong and is that why the truck was parked without a driver?