Offered a job

Hi all,

I passed my class 1 in May last year having held my class 2 for 20 years. I only used my class 2 for about 3 years over 10 years ago and i havent driven class 1 since passing my test last year.
A couple of weeks ago i decided to get out and knock on doors to find a new job. Most of the places i visited, i couldnt get to see anyone with out an appointment . The next day i phoned a few of the companies i tried to visit and on the second call i was invited for an interview.
Had the interview on the Saturday morning and on the Monday i was offered the job.
I have since accepted the position for a Car transporter firm tramping away mon-fri. I start in 2 weeks and they are going to put me through a training programme at £75 a day + meal allowance . When i go out out on my own ill be payed on a car delivery and mileage calculation.
I was hoping to get a start on bulk tippers but im not going to turn down this opportunity.
So all you new passers out there its possible to get that start. Be positive and keep trying and it will happen.

Nervous as hell !!!
Simon

Good luck and well done!

Well done mate gives hope to noob , got my class 1 last November and hopefully do tramping when I finally finish up with my current employer next year , I’m a noob but an older one as I’m 51 this year and determined to be a trucker b4 I retire , got offered redundancy and took it after 32yrs with the same company , although I can’t leave before March 2015 , hard to get experience whilst already employed , because of WTD , but enough about me well done to you , do a wee diary when your started , always like reading diary posts cheers Tom

Well done simon. Ive my test c+e tomorrw afternoon. I love hearing storys of newbies getting work. Gives you that bit of a boost. What you have said is what im going to do knocking on doors suppose it pays of if you keep tryn. Congrats on job mate

If you are doing car transporters have a read of this especially Buck Rogers reply

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=67239&p=841293&hilit=car+transporters+buck+rogers#p841293

Thanks for the good wishes.
Its already daunting and I’m still a week and a bit away starting. I’ll certainly try and do a quick diary when i start Thomas, at the moment I’m thinking valuable experience and the first step on the road to my future plans and exciting times ahead I hope. If it doesn’t work out then … Well he who dares wins!!! Or ■■■■■ it right up…
Thanks Davy and good luck with your test tommorow fella. To be honest the onlyreason i didn’t start looking for jobs straight after my test was because everybody was saying there were no jobs out there and I wouldn’t get a start as newbie. Last October the company I worked for were being taken over and so I thought I’d apply for a class 1 job advertised. I was invited for interview. I turned it down as it was days and a bit to far to commute on a daily basis. Since then I’ve applied for a fair few and I think the only real negative responses I get are from agencies
I would definitely agree with knocking on doors but I would phone first and try and arrange a meeting , nothing worse than travelling 30 miles to be greeted by a security guard whose not letting in you in, be positive without over confidence.
Good luck out there
Simon

Hi where are u going your transporter training ime starting training tomorow in Bedford
Haven’t just passed my test had my class 1 23 years just fancied doing this for years so can’t wait lol