Great North Road book

Guys we’re close now. I’ve nearly finished the photography. Plan is to publish for June 2013 and launch it at Gaydon show.

Can anyone that’s posted a photo on this thread PM me their real names so I can credit you if I use the photo. Cheers

A bit late in the day but I just found this photo taken in 1962. We had followed this load for ages before it pulled in to let traffic past. We were the last one through before the police jumped into their Zodiac to ■■■■■■ further. I’m not sure where it is on the A1 but i remember we stopped at Burrowbridge on our way north that night. Looking forward to your book. Regards Peter

Lonewolf My Father,who died two years ago aged 90, told me the following tale a couple of times.
His first job after demob from the RAF after the war was working for his Father road sweeping the A1 Birtley by pass (roughly where the Birtley/Washington services are now) This was with brush,shovel and horse & cart. One day he saw a car door open while it was still on the move and a young child starting to fall out. The childs head bounced off the road several times before the car stopped. My Father went over and the both the child’s parents were in the car.The child was in the back seat unconcious. All my father could do was direct them to the QE hospital about 4 miles away. He never did find out what happened and if the child survived.

Does your book have any info on the Tyne Bridge as it was the A1. Both my parents were at the official opening in 1928 and I have a commerative booklet that was given to all children present on the day.

Hi,All,
This is a very interesting thread, it makes you realize how many years we have been trundling up and down the A1. Late 70’s I was on night trunk from Humberside to Cambridge area, although long stretches of the A1 had been dualled it was still 40 mph limit. The way out to the A1 at Newark was on the A15/A46 through Lincoln and all single carriageway.We used to do Captain Morgans just south of Norman’s Cross at Sawtry, where the ministry place is now in 2hrs. 20 mins. give or take five minutes.
Now ,apart from the A15 from the M180 to Lincoln it is all dual carriageway, and once you get onto the A1 no roundabouts, but with today’s traffic it takes 2hrs 20mins to Peterborough services, and that is with more powerful trucks and all the mod. cons. And it’s a lot more boring.
Go A1 north ,leave Doncaster Services ,put cruise control in ,take it out at Rusty Rita for the Western Bypass, it’s getting like drive by wire.
Most of the attractions have gone and I don’t just mean Winnie and her assistants (was Winnie an attraction? depends whether she had her teeth in or not!) It is just a straight road now and possibly the biggest challenge on it is fighting the boredom.

Cheers Bassman

I have the first galley proofs. It looks the business, I’m so excited. Sneak preview.

Lonewolf Yorks:
I have the first galley proofs. It looks the business, I’m so excited. Sneak preview.

Brilliant mate, congratulations on all your hard work, I will look forward to reading that .

Great,back to the good old days,looking forward to it.
Mike.

The good old Tyne Bridge at peak times, Regards Larry.

Fair play to you - look forward to reading it :smiley:

Hello Folks, Larry and co. Am really looking forward to this book, one was done a while ago by a photographer but he missed out all the good bits.
Back in the 60s I spent a week learning how to sheet paper reels in Kent, going to Barnet every day (A1) , lighting fires under the waggon to free the brakes off etc. then end of Week the boss said, Monday am, Tovil, pickup a Ford Trader, loaded with reels for Darlington, You know the way boy, straight up the AI, ring us when you get there. Well it was bad weather, A1 still single track here and there, bad snow etc so it took a while. Just before Biggleswade a car ahead skidded. I managed to avoid him but the top layer of reels slid a foot of the bottom ones. 2 Scunthorpe BRS men led me into the Towers cafe, hoiked a furniture van driver out of the cafe, asked him to back along the load to straighten up the reels, helped me re rope it then took me in the cafe and bought me a cuppa and bite to eat. So my introduction to the A1! i made it to Darlington the next day and found whoever loaded it hadnt put any overropes down the length of the reels, so after that I always made sure I did. But grand days, Stars of the road and all that
Good Luck / Al

I can’t wait for the book to come out Wolfie,I’ve done my fair share of tramping and night trunking on the A1. :smiley:

Lonewolf Yorks:

Hi Lonewolf, I too am looking forward to reading your book. Like you I am an ex driver (even did a spell for Jim Beresford god bless him) and did many a mile up and down the A1. The book really looks the business and I wish you all the very best with it. Regards Tony H.

Northumberland Street The A1 through Newcastle in the old days, Regards Larry.

Wolfie … Look up my ‘Old Trucking Tales’ somewhere on this site from long back, the tale about ‘The Beedale Hunt’ might amuse you.

The great North Road at Seaton Burn, Regards Larry.

Durham Road Chilton Co.Durham A1 Rushyford to ferryhill

The old A1, Heading North at Brandling Park Newcastle, 50s Era, Regards Larry.

Aaargh where were you two when i was looking for photos lol

hi you are right about the gate house the houses behind where police houses and wetherby police station.i spent many years truck spotting at these gates when i was young. as my grandad was chief inspector at wetherby police station in the 70s and 80s.and he built is own house behind the old bus station over the bridge.also can any body tell me the name of the truck stop at micklefield just off the old a1.also the old a1 went went thought the village.and i know this village well as my dads family came from there and spent many hours truck spotting in eightys there.

Lonewolf Yorks:
There is a wall and gate there, it was almost right in front of you as you turned right at the roundabout. It was a gatehouse to the Wetherby Grange estate, theres another one the same actually on the roundabout at the Tadcaster split (A659). It ended up there when the roads were realigned.

You can see the gatehouse here

If I remember the cafe was known as the 'Woodlands Cafe ‘.I dont know if it was known as anything else before that ,the building looked as tho’ extentions had been added over the years so it may have been known as something else.