"Old Hands" (and not quite so old hands) needed!

I am looking for drivers who have been regularly using the A1 at any point between London and Scotch Corner, and who are prepared to be asked a few questions to help with an article for the transport press.

I’m particularly interested in drivers with 10 years-plus experience, who have memories of transport cafes and favourite stretches of the road which have now changed or vanished.

If you can help, please could you contact me through either the messaging system on the site, or the e-mail button below. Credit will be given for material used, unless you would rather remain anonymous.

This appeal is made with the permission of site management.

Thanks in advance. :smiley:

Welcome to Trucknet LR, if its any use I do remember the old Compass Cafe on the A1 southbound side at Colsterworth, used it regularly during the early 1980’s.

Hi LR,

a few I can remember are: The Woodlands at Micklefield nr Leeds, now a housing developement. Kate’s Kabin now just called KC’s, 25 years ago that was a busy place but a dodgey turn across the northbound when travelling south. Seems quiet these days when I go past, usually in the car. A good breakfast could always be had about a mile further south of Micklefield opposite the Boot and Shoe pub (cannot remember the name) but its was just before Selby Fork Services southbound. I also remember the compass cafe at Colsterworth. Another truck stop, which is still there but under new ownership after a long period of being closed, is the Little Bistro just South of Leeming.

Westie

haha,a post that will show yer age :laughing: :laughing: get posting boy’s :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

My favourite overnight stop was ‘The Bedale Hunt’, it was on the southbound side about a mile south of The Quernow cafe. I would take every oppertunity to park up there, the food was great, the beer was great and the people were great.
I believe it was demolished mid 90’s for road widening. :cry: :cry: :cry:

All the above plus Mac’s, somewhere in the Peterboro area, had a bunkhouse attached in pre sleeper cab days.
Scotch Corner Cafe, just before the roundabout on the old road. Limited parking but roadside lined both sides, French style, with visiting trucks, 24 hrs.
The Clock (I think), about half mile south of the above.
The one on the fork where we used to turn off for Felixstowe in pre A14 days, brain’s gone!!. Still there though, saw it in January.
That service station on the northbound (connected by footbridge to other side) just before A52 turn to Nottingham, where I knocked the pump canopy down with a container one day :blush: . The transport cafe was in a building at the top of the slope I think.
The one southbound just before the A614 turn to Nottingham. Became a Little Chef (so what else is new :smiling_imp: ).

Threads like this remind me of how much has been lost in Britain over the years. That and reading about drivers searching for MacDo’s and other fast plastic palaces, even on the continent. The old transport caffs used to be denigrated as ‘greasy spoons’ but in fact often provided good, wholesome, non-fried food. And there were so many of them. :slight_smile:

Sorry, my hobby horse again, anybody who has read my posts on here will be left in no doubt as to why I live in France :laughing: .

Salut, David.

Back to the top, for the weekend crowd.

Kelly’s Cafe at Boroughbridge when the A1 was The Great North Road Morrisons supermarket is on the site now but this place was the Stockyard of it’s day

And that one at Blyth roundabout on the left just before the roundabout if you’re Northbound you can still see the concrete ramp can’t remember what that one was called though

Another good one, recently closed, was the Boot and Shoe on the north bound A1/A63 Leeds junction. It was owned (or managed) and run by an ex-fireman. It changed hands several months ago, to a young couple who started closing up early etc, so it was dying anyway. I stopped there several weeks ago, to be handy for an early tip in Leeds, but it had closed. I had to go across the road to the hotel and pay double the price.

Hi Simon

You don’t pass it now the new bit of motorway is in use and the Boot and Shoe and Selby Fork Services are now bypassed. Not many layby’s either between Dishforth and the M62 either north or southbound

westie

Is the boot and shoe closed? I stopped there about 18 months ago and it was as crap then as it always was! :smiley:

Ian boot and shoe closed now that new road has by passed it

animal:
Ian boot and shoe closed now that new road has by passed it

Thanks for that Angie! how times change so quick!

Kates Kabin was a brilliant cafe but my guv’nor banned us from using it after one of our guys broke an axle in one of the many potholes that were all over the parking area!!!

Don’t know why you think the Boot n Shoe was crap TC. The food was fairly plain British grub. But it was cooked well, there was plenty of it and it didn’t cost the earth. The beer was looked after, the craic was mighty (as the paddies say) and the showers where clean and roomy. The only thing wrong with it, was that the seat cushions, on the big old bench seats had collapsed, but there were other seats available.
I suppose it depends on what you want from a British truckstop.

Just a quick note of thanks to all those who have come forward with offers of help on this project. I think I’ve been in touch with most of you now, my apologies if not.

I’m still very short of people with knowledge of the lower end of the A1, south of Peterborough, so if there is anyone else out there who could spare me a minute with their memories, it would be much appreciated.

Many thanks again.

Stopped at KC’s,or Kates Kabin if you prefer,on the opening night of the Olympics last year,and I have never stayed at such a hole in my life,which is a shame really,because although I never stayed there in it’s heyday,I always remember passing it,and it being busy.

Food was kind of ok,but there was no shower,only a small wash basin in the stinking gents loo.Washing in the potholes outside would have been cleaner.The staff couldn’t even raise a smile,it was as though it was a chore to serve me.

And then some of them wonder why they close down.

Ken.

tonyw:
And that one at Blyth roundabout on the left just before the roundabout if you’re Northbound you can still see the concrete ramp can’t remember what that one was called though

That was an msa really, isn’t its replacement on the opposite corner now?

Talking about Blyth roundabout, if you turned north east on the A614 towards Bawtry, there was a very good family run cafe about half a mile up the road on the left. Can’t remember the name and strictly speaking it isn’t on the A1. Just think of it as having a very long access road LR :laughing:

Salut, David.

LR:
I’m still very short of people with knowledge of the lower end of the A1, south of Peterborough, so if there is anyone else out there who could spare me a minute with their memories, it would be much appreciated.

Perhaps that’s because they were a bit more sparse down that way LR. There must have been some - still squeezing the brain :unamused:

Salut, David.

Anyone remember the old guy who used to run the buttie van first layby North of the Black Cat?.

Cant remember his name, but he was ALWAYS happy to see you only about 4/5 years ago .