great north road

A few more selected links, there are thousands but these interested me, sorry for duplicates!

britishpathe.com/record.php?id=1807

britishpathe.com/record.php?id=43163

britishpathe.com/record.php?id=44832

britishpathe.com/record.php?id=43828

britishpathe.com/record.php?id=47711

britishpathe.com/record.php?id=47948

britishpathe.com/record.php?id=41616

britishpathe.com/record.php?id=1836

great old films the first one with the cyclist and the austin artic could be shown today the way some cyclist ride in central london, has anyone looked on the bbc news page today they have a link to all road deaths between 1999 to 2010 you put your postcode in and a google map comes up with all the road deaths in that area quite spooky really, fredm

britishpathe.com/record.php?id=44351

britishpathe.com/record.php?id=2309

tryout these, interesting testing methods with an AEC

britishpathe.com/record.php?id=43828

The Old A1 ,When it used to run through Newcastle City Center.

The old A1 Newcastle .

The Great North Rd at Seaton Burn in the 70s. Regards Larry.

Larry can you remember going by here,the Gretna wedding inn on the old A1 at Aycliffe,circa1954,Vic.

MollieThomasGretnaGreenWeddingInn.jpg

An older one, Harold Taylors garage at Acliffe Village

NewgarageonA1.jpg

v7victor:
Larry can you remember going by here,the Gretna wedding inn on the old A1 at Aycliffe,circa1954,Vic.

Yes I remember it very well, I recall some years ago passing there & there were two blokes with horses having a right set to, mind you they both looked the worse for drink , I assume the Inn is still there , Ive never been down there for years, Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:

v7victor:

Yes I remember it very well, I recall some years ago passing there & there were two blokes with horses having a right set to, mind you they both looked the worse for drink , I assume the Inn is still there , Ive never been down there for years, Regards Larry.

Yes Larry its still there,was a two for one eating place with a sleep easy behind it,but the pub is now called a (Fairdeal) pub.Vic

Here’s some pics I took a couple of years ago when the roadworks beside the Quernhow started and they were starting to flatten some of the “scenery”.

ge101.jpg[/attachment]

Hope these are of some interest.

They are very good, I dont pass that way much now as Im retired, It appears that the Quernhow missed the big hammer, Oh dear I wonder if it will survive, It was a good cafe when the people that started it off in the 60s., good nosh, dined there over the years, its a pity it has gone down hill at a 100 mph, Regards Larry.

mick palmer:
Now that most of the A1 is being brought up to Motorway standard theres not much chance to get off and drive the old GNR.It used to make a change if I had a good run and plenty of time to do so.

Anybody know if any film/photo exists of the Great North Rd/A1 from Doncaster north,Redhouse,Robin Hoods Well,Wentbridge etc, does anybody remember the old road before it was re-routed widened ?

I remember getting nicked down there for 48mph (40 limit) £20 thank you very much. Myself and the young (very young) traffic officer “had words”. Here’s me, a reasonable bit of experience, being lectured at the side of the road about the dangers of tankers loaded with 4 star. I didn’t need lectures from a fresh young police officer, I knew the dangers. We weren’t the best of mates when our “business” was concluded. :wink:

i had similar brian , got pulled for using the phone ( on a dual carriageway ) . young copper stars to tell me how to do my job , i was polite to start with , but he kept on until i had enough . i asked him if his nappy rash was bothering him as he was so grouchy , things went rapidly downhill from there . cheers , dave

curnock:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYmFxoLb4OM

All I get is that the video is private. :open_mouth:

So what’s that all about then, have they not read the word ‘broadcast’ in the line ‘broadcast yourself’?
Narrow cast, I call it. :imp:

grumpy old man:

mick palmer:
Now that most of the A1 is being brought up to Motorway standard theres not much chance to get off and drive the old GNR.It used to make a change if I had a good run and plenty of time to do so.

Anybody know if any film/photo exists of the Great North Rd/A1 from Doncaster north,Redhouse,Robin Hoods Well,Wentbridge etc, does anybody remember the old road before it was re-routed widened ?

I remember getting nicked down there for 48mph (40 limit) £20 thank you very much. Myself and the young (very young) traffic officer “had words”. Here’s me, a reasonable bit of experience, being lectured at the side of the road about the dangers of tankers loaded with 4 star. I didn’t need lectures from a fresh young police officer, I knew the dangers. We weren’t the best of mates when our “business” was concluded. :wink:

Same here Brian,I got nicked for 50 mph top side of Redhouse.After peering under the front o/s of my Mandator - “I’m looking for your right foot” :unamused:, the young copper asked me for my “Tramcard” as I was carrying benzene. I told him I hadn’t got a “tramcard” but did have a “tremcard” in the cab as well as three on the bloody trailer. I also got lectured by him,telling me what the haz code 3WE1114 was all about,flammable,explosive,carciogenic and God know’s what else,much to the amusement of his sergeant and I thought I had got away with it.
No chance,£15.

Got stopped one night about 1976 on the old A1 just off the A1M at Darlington with a load of store cattle from Hexham mart.
Young PC thought I was chucking out a bit of black smoke. ’ Better get the points and distubutor checked’ he said in all seriousness.
Err Leyland 4 wheeler 16 ton with a 401 engine !!!

I got stopped 1989, driving our Roadtrain fully loaded , this was on the A.1.M. Bowburn stretch, a patrol car overtook me & pulled onto the Hard Shoulder he slowed down & ran allong the inside of me for some distance, the pulled forward & put the blues on. When I pulled in he got into my cab & informed me that the trailer had no MOT, & also asked for the unit MOT, I told him that the trailer had just been tested 3 weeks ago, he disagreed, I also informed him the wagon was only 9 months old & had never been tested, , Well my remarks seemed to infuriate him, he claimed that there was no Plate on the trailer, because couldnt see it, well thats what he was looking for driving alongside me, so I informed him it was on the headboard of the trailer, he asked why was it there, I said to keep it clean., he said it should be on the chassis, by this time he was starting to ■■■■ me right off, He was a rookie, & a very poor one might I add, He gave me a producer, Then asked if I had a son the same name as me, he claimed to haver played rugby with him, Ah, guess what I mentioned to my son , he burst out laughing play rugby, he couldnt play marbles, he also added he was an opponent & he ruffed him up a few times, So perhaps thats why the git stopped me in the first place, revenge, Regards Larry.

Wooden Tops Larry !!! We often used to lift stuff off overloaded motors that had been “nicked” on the M6 as we were adjacent to the MOT station,it was more a pain in the arse but you didn’t like to see these firms stuck.However,a Bobby pulled one of our motors in on the A6 just south of the village and even though he had a BSC weigh ticket from Newport he still insisted that we were check weighed,oh! and tell your gaffer those trailer tyres will want changing shortly as well (half worn Mich X on a fairly new Crane/F trailer).When the driver rolls in the yard and tells me all this I jump in the car and shoot down the A6 and sure enough the Bobby is still there ,on his own,pulling motors.I pile straight into him and threaten to go straight to his boss at Kendal and get him sorted out,the Mich tyres had 8/9 mm of tread and his BSC ticket was a midgy’s inside 32 tons and he’d run from Newport as well so he was lighter at the weigh check!! The next time an overloaded motor was directed into our depot a week or two later i was out the office and told the Ministry bod and a different bobby to ■■■■ off in no uncertain terms,they argued that we HAD to lift some timber (IIRC) off this motor by law !! Oh! no we don’t pal you can go and ■■■■ yourselves!! So they had to give this vehicle a written dispensation order to proceed overloaded Ha! Ha! they were as sick as parrots but they had no power to force us to help.I never allowed them in the yard again to lift off excess weight!!! ■■■■■■■■■■ Cheers Dennis.

My youngest son used to get pulled in frequently at Hare Cragg , when he was loaded with bricks, there was a w/b in the brickyard & you could check your axles no bother, The cheeky gits at Hare Cragg often remarked you were lucky there driver, My son asked what do you mean by lucky mate Eh, they replied well just what we have said lucky, My son said well im a profesional HGV,Driver & I concider myself to good at what I do, now tell me what are you good at doing mate, silence, but of course he was pulled in a bit more after that, but they never got him for being overloaded. Regards Larry.