OK guys I'm at it again!

You may recall I wrote the Great North Road Then and Now a few year since. I’m in the process of giving the other great roads the same treatment.

So what I’m asking for are any anecdotes concerning places, truckstops, happenings on any of the following - A2, A3, A4, A5 and A6.

DISCLAIMER…
If you post you may be quoted in the book.

Thanks, Wolfie

Somewhere on the Old Time Section is discussion about the A2 with mention of the crash in Bridge and the grind up Boughton Hill. IIRC Saviem contributed to the thread. There was also mention on another Old Time Cafe related thread about the George at Singlewell. Another mentioned East Kent Road Car Company running coach services to London from Canterbury in the early '60s… But how to find any of this now on this new abortion is anyone’s guess.

You will be lucky mate, hardly anyone uses this site any more and no one in authority wants to put it back to the original format, as I have stated before in the end it will die, it may be a lingering death to boot but it is coming, Buzzer

C’mon guys don’t put the kybosh on his plans, this is not the thread to complain about the new forum.
The A3 is my local, but sorry, no tales to tell.

2 Likes

stu675 just look at the timings of the posts, it tells all about how unused this new format is, just letting Wolfie know thats all, Buzzer

I was hoping someone who can navigate the forum might have a go at finding references. Having had a go I have found comments by Spardo and Saviem relating to the hill down into Bridge Village on the A2 under " Really Nasty Hills" I just can’t link to them. The Fatal runaway accident on the hill was IIRC in Summer 1967 although the village had been calling for a by pass since 1964 as detailed in this clipping from the local paper. There are however other references to the old A2 to be found. IIRC there is a picture of the Bridge Hill Crash in “Old Truck Accidents”.

Protests in Kent: From Poll Tax to the Channel Tunnel Rail Link

The Commer QX in the picture looks to belong to Brett Quarries, probably form their Fordwich Quarry and cement works, which was a hive of activity in the '60s and '70s with AEC Marshal Mixers running in and out past the Welsh Harp.

I agree entirely with buzzer…
You can say what you like, but the evidence is there…it aint working.
There are about 3 or 4 members trying to keep it alive, when they aint on it is dead.
I use it more than occasionlly, but I aint keen on it.
O/p…apart from that good luck with yer project.:smiley:

Oh come on guys, I got some great quotes last time!

It was I who started the really nasty hills thread ten years ago. I’ve just bumped it up for you.

1 Like

No stories I’m afraid and SABRE isn’t very forthcoming on the history of the A2 But if it’s any use I’ll try to recall what the route to Dover was like in the 1960s. I can just about remember a trip as a child from London to Canterbury by car with a long queue of traffic through Rochester and over the bridge which would probably make it late 1950s before the A2(M). The link refers to The Rochester Way relief rd. At that time (1975) only part of this was under construction .The actual Rochester Way was one long traffic crawl especially around Well Hall. Dartford And Gravesend were only partially skirted until the late 1970s until the A2(M) was reached which ran eventualy as far as Brenley corner.From there the A" went on a hilly, narrow and twisty route via Boughton under Blean, Harbledown, Canterbury Ring road, Bridge, Kingston, Barham, Lydden, Temple Ewell and into Dover town centre, Jubilee Way not having been built.