Great North Road

Hi just found this video on Youtube, no idea if its been posted before, circa 1939, was any one on here trucking on it at that time haha, even has the unmodernised Brampton Hut services on it.

If he hasn’t already seen it, I’m sure Lonewolf may be interested in this, as he was writing a book on said road.

Ken.

I think that link was posted when Lonewolf asked for memories of that road.

I have seen that on here before but good to view it again. Didn’t life look simple back then, no litter and apart from the telegraph poles some of the countryside hadn’t changed for centuries! And a few weeks later the War arrived and everything changed for ever. :cry:

Pete.

Fabulous! wipes drool off anorak :blush: :grimacing:

I wasn’t around in 1939, but I was actually born in a house on the Great North Road just south of Grantham. my father was a Market Gardener in a big estate at Easton. I have some memories of the road, the traffic, or lack of in those days. I have a picture of my mother, with me, my sister and brother, standing next to the road in the middle of the day, and there is only one vehicle in the far distance. I remember a truck with i believe waste cotton scraps over turning near by. Been past a few times, the house is still there, but opposite is now a service area!

Enjoyed watching that.
It certainly puts a different slant on the driving standards of today. i.e. if you think its mayhem today…look at the mad buggaz on that film! Crazy! No wonder so many were killed on the roads back then.

It would be nice to travel back in time though and have a nice drive up the Old Road.

I still am fond of the A1, and when I get a run down south where I have a choice between that and the M1…its no contest.

My first job in road haulage was for Hansons in Huddersfield. In the late 50’s I was a trailer mate on the Hudds. London night trunk route. Red 8 legger AEC vans gold lettering down the side, open topped and sheeted over so they could get more in, 4 wheeled draw bar trailers. First convertable I ever drove. 10 hour shift down, same back up night after.

Ist stop red house at Doncaster, 2nd stop Kates Cabin, 3rd stop Jacks Hill. Mate would spell driver at least one stage, more if the driver was sloshed. License, er yes officer we have one, between us, but it’s in the drawer at home. Hocus pocus ( Eaton Socum) coming up next. Ah yes, nostalgia’s not what it used to be.

Did you notice the Dr Who tardis in the film, and the bycicles had mudguards, theres a novelty. Happy days, sorry nights. :smiley:

Interesting to see the war memorial in Biggleswade with what look like poppies at the base just at the outbreak of another world war.

cheekymonkey:
Enjoyed watching that.
It certainly puts a different slant on the driving standards of today. i.e. if you think its mayhem today…look at the mad buggaz on that film! Crazy! No wonder so many were killed on the roads back then.

It would be nice to travel back in time though and have a nice drive up the Old Road.

I still am fond of the A1, and when I get a run down south where I have a choice between that and the M1…its no contest.

On Google Earth there is alot of 1945 arial photos, and its suprising how much of the original A1 is still used today especialy in the cambridgeshire area, I like to come off sometimes and go through the odd village just to go on The Great North Road, lol sad? maybe, do i care? no.
Just glad i dont work for a firm that track the truck.