Swift service 1970s

HIya just discovered this site ! Worked for them for a bit early 70s , when they were at the kingsbury depot - Graham Lay , corky (Graham ?), Pete Tate , Jack Hogarth ,Jeff Lovell , Colin Wright , Billy Bardon ,Graham Battison , George Labrum- some drivers i remember , Brian Spensly - transport manager & Neil Askem clark ? , i’m that sad i even remember some of the lorry reg’s - Mandators - NFU 230M , PFW 363M , OFU 26M ,CBE 315K , YBE 48K , F86’s OFW 377M , RFU 157M - they were the smartest fleet in Northampton at the time .

heres one from ebay

pd trans.JPG

Ive found a couple more pictures from Boston depot

Nice pics Bobtail , what happened to Tip Yardy ? He used to drive my dad’s old 88 HVV 692N when it was repainted green ( any pics ? )

I am new on here having got the site from Ralph" Dad " Baxter and remember Pat Hasler and Mike Barty - as mentioned by scaniabostonboy as we used to have nights out in Southend together, well you know what i mean? -

Anyone know of Dave Lockey origonaly from north east.?

The depot at Lodge Farm is no more , see its now empty and up for sale/rent

where have all the swift drivers gone ?

swift fl10.png

If anyone remembers Malcolm ‘Roadrunner’ Mortimer from the Northampton office he has now retired.

Has anyone any old pics of the red swifts lorries that were based @ skegness & northampton- Cant find any!

Tony … you young pup. :smiley:

I’m here … good times remembering your old Dad and his little boy in the pasenger seat :wink:

Sorry no pics but my dad used to drive for em,Mick Barty if the name rings a bell.

Tony … on my facebook account I have a picky of one of Swifts F88’s … I have no idea how to put it on here because I am an old ■■■■ :smiley:

Heres one i used as a shunter at newark.

Pat Hasler:
Tony … on my facebook account I have a picky of one of Swifts F88’s … I have no idea how to put it on here because I am an old [zb] :smiley:

alright mucker! that makes two of us - cant find you on facebook :question: ask nigel how he sent his pic below

nigelhunt:
Heres one i used as a shunter at newark.

Thanks Nigel :neutral_face: bit too recent that one - swifts last livery before Salvesens white/turquoise colours. Was pic taken at NSK bearings factory :question:

scaniabostonboy:
Sorry no pics but my dad used to drive for em,Mick Barty if the name rings a bell.

was only a pipsqeek myself then ,didnt skeggy depot close early 80s :question: remember driver called “Wiggy” later worked from Boston docks :question:

tonyhogi:

Pat Hasler:
Tony … on my facebook account I have a picky of one of Swifts F88’s … I have no idea how to put it on here because I am an old [zb] :smiley:

alright mucker! that makes two of us - cant find you on facebook :question: ask nigel how he sent his pic below

How come I have a private message from you on facebook then ? … I just sent you a friend request. :stuck_out_tongue:

sorry no pics tony but I remember them well. didnt they have a depot at dunstable?

Hi tony,yes that picture was taken at R H P .The company put the contract out to tender and swift won the contract.They retained me
as shunter loader at newark depot.Lorries came in from covertry and northhampton depots and left trailers in yard for me to empty
and reload.On many occasions i had to trunk loads for swift when they were short of drivers.
Their is a book all about swift,called SWIFT the story of a transport buisiness,writen by NIGEL WILSON.
I have a copy myself and its very interesting ,1928 to 1985.Lots of pictures and very interesting reading hope this helps,NIGEL.