Swift service 1970s

Tony,

Have a look on Marc’s Scrapbook Memories thread, there are a few pics of Swifts including a Seddon Atki.

I remember their big fleet of D series four wheelers, a few had sleeper cabs.

Didnt they have the Ford parts contract back then?

Nigel, can you remember where you got the book, sounds interesting.

Cheeers
Mark

I worked on the Ford contract just after I got my class one with them, it was a stipulation that I did at least 6 months on ‘B’ run with a Ford ‘D’ series flatbed… 17 - 20 drops every day round Leicester and Derbyshire, damm hard work.

Mark,i was given the book from swifts co ordinater based at R H P when i left after twenty years service.I am sure you would be able to
order it from W H SMITHS.Their are many photos including swift trailers with the ford logo on the curtains,which points to them having
their contract.Prior to me leaving swifts had just been taken over by christian salversens and i had a new DAF 85 in N S K livery.
Trunking to blackburn lancs.Unfortunatley i did not take any photos.

They used to run a fleet which included a large number of ford thames traders red in colour in the fifties and sixties.I think they hauled a lot of fish products if memory serves me correctly

jimmy m:
sorry no pics tony but I remember them well. didnt they have a depot at dunstable?

Yes they do Jimmy # Boscombe Rd , but this depot is one of many opened long after Swifts was a family owned haulage company as they were taken over by LEPs in the early eighties .

I Remember Swifts they had a depot just of J32 M62 at Castleford, worked with one of there old drivers at Lambsons called Pete can’t remember his surname

i thought that, used to pass them on way to first quench dunstabubble.reno-oh no had a scrapyard, sorry depot there as well. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

roadcommander2:
Tony,

Have a look on Marc’s Scrapbook Memories thread, there are a few pics of Swifts including a Seddon Atki.

I remember their big fleet of D series four wheelers, a few had sleeper cabs.

Didnt they have the Ford parts contract back then?

Nigel, can you remember where you got the book, sounds interesting.

Cheeers
Mark

thanks mark - found that thread pic of sedak. & 2 ERFs :slight_smile: .Swifts took over Ford parts contract from BRS @ Northampton about 1972. Started with “D” Series four wheelers(on Ford work) & AEC mandators on general haulage later replaced with volvo 86s/ 88s & transcons . This era is where photos seem hard to come by :frowning: .

found this old pic- my dad worked for billows @ Kettering

boris:
found this old pic- my dad worked for billows @ Kettering

Excellent Boris :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: thats a gem - its Swifty’s 1st F88 :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

I worked at Swifts in the early 80’s when they ran several drivers out of Boston after closing the Skeg depot. Straight from school, I used to write the traffic sheet out every day before fetching the coffee for Pete Woods, the manager.
The Wiggy refered to was Dave Sellers- UCT 822S a very rum boy!
Others were:
Ian Twigg A138RBD, Pete Simpson CJL939V, Pat Lowe A135RBD, Alan Robinson GJL148W, Roy Brummitt GJL149W, Ray Bosworth DCT853V, Ralph Baxter OJL466R, Chris Kenny RJL529R, Bill Smith GJL798W, Dave Smith UCT920S(twins) Graham Smith SJL837S(younger brother) Mo Longmate UDO614S, Max Stengel OJL 459R, George King VJV675V, Mick Simpson A115YRP, Ray Harrison CJL447V, Tony Hayward B563AVV, Tony Harris A762 ARX, Noel Pell CUG55Y, Ron Cooper VDO659S, Ron Bishop OJL458R, Ray Norman TJL564S, Dave Houlton ELW 555T, Nick Pears, John ‘Shep’ Noakes, Herrick Brown, Ken Epton, Mark ‘Kermit’ Turner PNH 3R and the unforgetable Micky Bray UDO615S
I have several pics of the Boston trucks in the early eighties, and I’ll try to scan them on. We ran the last F88’s (possibly the last in Lincolnshire was SJL837S) several of the early F10’s, an F7, two F6’s, Ford 1618’s with sleepers, DAF2500’s, a Mk2 F10, one F86 and a D series 7.5 tonner.
Can anyone also recall Tip Yardy’s green and black F88
I have been involved in transport 27 years now and the above remain the most professional set of drivers I have ever met.

I hope this is of interest

Hi bobtail, you probably remember my old man Jack Hogarth who was one of the first drivers at northampton . Also Pat Hasler who writes on this forum ( see “old trucking tales” thread ) Used to travel in school hols etc. with dad so got to know some of the old Skeggy drivers myself such as Mo, Wiggy ,mick bray, Pat lowe & Tip - who drove my dads old F88 HVV 692N when it was green ( what happened to it? ). Look forward to your pics . :slight_smile: :slight_smile:
Regards Tony

Pete Lewis, Graham Corkram, John Ragget, was swift drivers in the early 80’s and came on to Carlsberg, then we was in and out of the warehouse at Lodgefarm Ind. estate where we would store cans of lager.

Norman Ingram:
Pete Lewis, Graham Corkram, John Ragget, was swift drivers in the early 80’s and came on to Carlsberg, then we was in and out of the warehouse at Lodgefarm Ind. estate where we would store cans of lager.

Remember them Norm , “Corky” was a good mate of me dads & arranged his retirement do , weren’t Pete Tate, Billy Bardon & Graham Laye at Carlsberg ? think they left Swifts just after the brewery opened :confused: :confused: :question: :confused:

Bobtail: What a list of names. Several lived in my village and I was at school with some of them. Wasn’t Colin Andrews another of the clan?

Very interested in any shots you may have of the firm.

nigelhunt:
Hi tony,yes that picture was taken at R H P .The company put the contract out to tender and swift won the contract.They retained me
as shunter loader at newark depot.Lorries came in from covertry and northhampton depots and left trailers in yard for me to empty
and reload.On many occasions i had to trunk loads for swift when they were short of drivers.
Their is a book all about swift,called SWIFT the story of a transport buisiness,writen by NIGEL WILSON.
I have a copy myself and its very interesting ,1928 to 1985.Lots of pictures and very interesting reading hope this helps,NIGEL.

Hi Nigel: Have you got details of the book (publisher, ISBN etc) because I would like to get a copy.

Many thanks.

Hi to you all,the isbn no is 0 907383 742.The book is titled SWIFT the story of a transport buisiness.by nigel watson.
Hope this is of use to you.Whilst working at R.H.P in newark the only person i had delings with was their coordinater,his name was terry cooper,
and i believe he was an ex driver from skegness.Yours nigel hunt.

Hope this has worked.Scanned from the book.

I know its a bit recent but this was the LAST vehicle to be painted in swift colours ( it should have been painted in salvesens white & turqiose!! )

nigelhunt:
Hope this has worked.Scanned from the book.

If you could see the grille of Mick Bray’s truck in the picture, you’d probably find he’d rearranged the lettering from VOLVO to LOV(e)
What a Star.