1970s WELCHS TRANSPORT CAMBRIDGE PHOTOS LINK

gallery/album.php?album_id=445

wish i had carried a camera ,really like the pictures youve put up…
q… where was the picture of …mum dad and big truck taken?
james

Nice pics,I remember those Fiat’s as Trans UK had a load of 170’s.

No pic of the 8-legger ERF on the Cambridge by-pass (A45) when it lost it’s tank off the back tho’?
I bet that gave the driver a fright! I remember going past the other way just after it had happened,looked like he’d engaged the pto and the tank went up and hit a bridge as he went under.
Ripped the tank clean off.

jimbo47 the photo was taken at cargenbridge dumfries scotland.
i have entered this on the photo.
regards bill.

lol,makes a change being right , the wife said top of lochside …
thanks jimmy.ex lockerbie boy…

Those photos bring back many memories . My father drove for Welch,s at their Witham depot for 20 years plus until the mid 80s . i first remember him driving Atkinson Borderers before being given the 1st Fiat 170 NT26 at Witham [TVA 879S] It was Welch,s 1st sleeper cab at Witham as until then the Atkinson,s and then the Bedford TM,s were all day cabs .
He then had another Fiat before being offered [ i think] the only Bedford that Witham had with the Detroit 8v71 engine , the other Bedfords all had the 6V71 engine with the narrow cab whereas dad,s had the full width cab and sleeper .
i remember this going like a rocket and 4mpg on a good day .
He then went into working in the yard and then the office where he became transport manager . So thank you for posting the photos and bringing back many good memories

the fiat i had at welchs was the ex demonstrator that welchs garage had. and the first v8 tm day cab they had, was driven by archie dean.
regards bill.

johnboy271 whats your dad doing now?
regars captmarvell.

Not the 70s I know, but might be of interest to someone on here, taken Witham early 90s.