Uk first truck races

Hi All,

Just joined after finding this thread via Google. First can I say - brilliant thread, really enjoyed it…!

My father, John Kent, drove the 350hp Leyland T45 at the 1984 Donington Truck Grand Prix with co-driver Mel Bacon. My father also did all of the media work with the truck prior to the event as he was very local to the factory. It was my father at the wheel in the photo that’s on the cover of the official programme for the event. My uncle, then Product Development Manager at Multipart, was one of the masterminds behind the Truck Grand Prix and it was his idea to put my father in the truck. My father had successfully campaigned Lotus and TVR production sports cars for many years with engineering support from my uncle. As such it was a perfect pairing.

My father went on to set (by some margin) the fastest lap time of the whole event, but the pole time was determined by an aggregate across both drivers. I notice the review posted earlier alludes that Martin Brundle and his co-driver had a better aggregate time, but this was not the case. As my father set the fastest time, he was selected to drive in the final and he started on pole - all the photos and video from the event corroborate this including the following Youtube video of the final where you can clearly see he takes the rolling start on pole (effectively the inside for the right-hander at Redgate).

youtube.com/watch?v=WRklEqCBOpU

Due to a team ■■■■-up, the brake linings were not replaced for the final, as such my father had no brakes after the 5th lap of the 20 lap final. Despite this he still managed - somewhat incredibly - to finish in 5th place…! It was a huge shame as with brakes, nobody had any doubt he would have won. After all the qualifying he was clearly the favourite. The eventual winner, Italian Duilio Ghislotti in a Volvo was disqualified for technical irregularities some days after the event. His team did have brilliant pasta served out the back of their trailer in the paddock behind the pits though…!

I spent the event in the hospitality suite with a bunch of then celebs that were drafted in to take part in the “Yorkie Challenge” which used a number of then brand new Leyland Roadrunners painted in Yorkie (chocolate bar) colours that had to do various challenges like distributing free Yorkie bars round the track to the spectators. I remember Peter Duncan, Anneka Rice, Jeremy Beadle, Linda Lusardi and others. Beadle was particularly good fun and spent ages mucking about with us kids teaching us practical jokes and feeding us tons of Yorkies…!

I have great memories of the event myself and sadly this was the one and only Truck GP my father did. It’s a shame because he clearly blew the doors off everyone else including Steve Parrish and Richard Walker, both of whom went on to have successful careers as professional truck racers. My uncle went on to work on the 1985 event at Silverstone. In just six weeks prior to the 1985 event, he also found time to design and develop the “Multipart Skytrain” wheelie truck which took the world record for the longest wheelie by a truck. I have home video of the truck driving round the circuit doing a wheelie with sparks coming off the magnesium skid blocks at the back. The video was shot by my dad who was following behind the wheelie truck in the Leyland T45 cabriolet that was built as a promo tool by Crayford.

My father was then the works drivier for TVR and went on to race in (and win) the TVR Tuscan Challenge Championship and 1998 develop the TVR Speed Twelve…

PS: Andyblue - IIRC that’s Willie Green’s Silkolene ERF and in the shot behind is Steve Parrish in the Mitchell Cotts Mercedes. It was 28 years ago and I was just 7 years old at the time, but I can remember so many details like it was yesterday…

mikeyb:
Hi,

I am looking to find any pictures of the first truck race at Donnington. Specifically after some pics of a couple of leyland Roadtrains that were sponsored by Lucas CAV and had union jack livery. I think one was driven by Mel Bacon, and the other may or may not have been Richard Walker. One was a high datum and the other a low datum which I gather was nick named “Dirty Gerty” number 30 :smiley:

Any pics or vids no matter what the quality would be appreciated. As I want to duplicate aspects of the livery for my own truck.

Many Thanks
Mike

think Mel Bacons first truck was a guy big j, still with masons of shrewsbury then the roadtrain.

there was a car garage out cambridge way that sold the leyland works trucks, went there to buy it when i was a kid with my dad and uncle, was a french spec truck.

WHEELNUTZ:
I dont know how good he was as I never saw him race but i use to work for a bloke who raced trucks for ERF,his name was Paul McCumilski,he owned Burton International Transport,dont know if he still races,anyone know ?

paul usedto work for as taylors at barton u needwood he now drives for wrights from twycross on tank work for severn trent light blue motors he doesnt race any more though

I went to Brands Hatch in 1986. This was a card given away in the programme

my pics from donnington way back when

good to see the everyday working trucks racing,
not like now where the trucks and the racing is like f1

this is when it started to get a bit more serious steve parrish,s mega fast merc

Some photos from Brands Hatch in 1986

some of mine from way back in the day

gazza1970:
good to see the everyday working trucks racing,
not like now where the trucks and the racing is like f1

wen was the last time you went raceing the trucks are just the same underneath just different styling nowt like F1and the teams dont have F1 buget so come and have a look you never know you might like it

pics from the first spanish truck racing in jarama, in 1987.
a local driver with pegaso Juan Carlos Garcia and Raphy Gorret´mack

and the grand final with richard walker on the lead.

one of the most popular trucks drivers, fernando lopez “negrito” with barreiros 4220 turbo 300. jarama 1989

tyreman:

quote= CJA1] Yeh was at Brands first race there, Remember stayed in Digs in Gravesend overnight, always very close racing there, Got some Piccs Somewhere Cheers CJA1.

100_1703.jpg

CJA1:

tyreman:

quote= CJA1] Yeh was at Brands first race there, Remember stayed in Digs in Gravesend overnight, always very close racing there, Got some Piccs Somewhere Cheers CJA1.

100_1694.jpg

CJA1:

CJA1:

tyreman:

[quoteCJA1]
Think this was SteveParish Mitchell Cotts Merc/Bacon Lucas Cav/ Sheene Sherwood Daf, Cheers CJA1.

CJA1:

CJA1:

tyreman:

CJA1:
Do any you guy"s remember the little Belgian on the Motor Bikes Stunt Riding? Got a couple of Piccies here Cheers CJA1.

CJA1:

CJA1:

CJA1:

tyreman:

CJA1:
Do any you guy"s remember the little Belgian on the Motor Bikes Stunt Riding? Got a couple of Piccies here Cheers CJA1.

And another? CJA!.

CJA1:

CJA1:

CJA1:

CJA1:

tyreman:

CJA1:

And another? CJA!.

CJA1:
And what about Murty"s rocket? this one of it being towed in, Cheers CJA1.

CJA1:

CJA1:

CJA1:

CJA1:

CJA1:

tyreman:

CJA1:

And another? CJA!.

CJA1:
And what about Murty"s rocket? this one of it being towed in, Cheers CJA1.

CJA1:
Any you Guy"s Remember Relince tankers did a bit of racing? Cheers CJA1,