Lorry Driver Of The Year Finals Cranfield late 70's/ 80's

I’m sure that many of you will remember and will have competed in the LDOY finals at Cranfield.
Apart from the driving competitions which attracted entries from many long gone firms, as well as all the dairies, oil companies Royal Mail etc, there were other attractions.

There was a small vintage truck show, manufacurer’s local dealer stands and the chance to test drive /flog demonstrators up a strip of runway. What would Health & Safety make of it now!!

What are your memories of it, does anyone have any pics that they would like to share?

I entered most years from 1974 to 1995 with varying degrees of success. Wasn’t a proper lorry driver then - still aint, by all accounts! I was Postman Dave - Pat’s lesser known brother!

Still got programme from 1984 at Cranfield which shows I was driving a Dodge Commando with short-arse, single-wheeled trailer.

Following year I got through to finals held at Silverstone. Had to drive round track at 30 mph with the speedo covered up. That was in a Ford D-series. The Post Office always bought lorries that other hauliers had given up on ten years previously. That’s why the post was always late!

Lots of pics. When I get a free month I’ll get round to posting some, ha, ha.

Dave Humphries.