Lorry Driver of the Year

Photos of Lorry Driver of the Year c1961

I wouldn’t have fancied my chances in that A-model Bedford- you couldn’t see anything within about six feet of the cab!

I think this was coventry

longs ldoy.jpg

For many years it was held at the Royal Artillery Junior Soldiers barracks Bramcote near Nuneaton, I was fortunate to be posted their during the mid Seventies and being part of the Regimental Police staff got involved with setting things up for the finals. Really enjoyed the event mixing with civilian transport again, of course I didn’t have the sense to have a camera handy in those days, could of had some great pics! Franky.

A few photos off Bob Hobbs site.Lots more on here transportphotos.com/road/photos
Coventry 1954

HuA1180.jpg

HuA1186.jpg
Woolwich 1963

HuJ0770.jpg
Maidstone 1964

HuK0665.jpg

HuK0757.jpg

Frankydobo:
For many years it was held at the Royal Artillery Junior Soldiers barracks Bramcote near Nuneaton, I was fortunate to be posted their during the mid Seventies and being part of the Regimental Police staff got involved with setting things up for the finals. Really enjoyed the event mixing with civilian transport again, of course I didn’t have the sense to have a camera handy in those days, could of had some great pics! Franky.

I went to a big Ford do at Bramcote in the early 70’s.They had everything they made there including Tractors, diggers and a replica sand quarry with six wheeler D.series.Also cars and approved bodybuilders. I think it was Birmingham Corporation had a giant barbecue for us.

They also had a Transcontinental tucked away in a Nissan Hut which wasn’t on public show and you found out by word of mouth. Must have cost a fortune to put a show on like that but Ford did spend money on those sort of things i.e.launch of new models and sales prizes etc. They took us for a weekend on one do to Switzeland.They soon ran out of money !!

Manouvering tests
New Smithfield market manchester1980

New Smithfield market manchester1981

New Smithfield market manchester1983

Ray

The 1978 L.O.T.Y. at Cranfield had a lot of things going on and Volvo Trucks had a competition for Volvo drivers and the first prize was a Volvo 343 car and second and third were £100 of Thomas Cook vouchers and the Late Diana Dors presented the prizes. Peter Shilton was there and you could take penalty’s against him which I had a go at and he saved them all, there was a very good turnout of manufacturers where you could have a test drive of their wagons on production of your HGV license, it was the only time that I attended and it was a good day out.
cheers Johnnie

When I worked for Fed Ex on the Matchbox contract they entered me in the 1992 Federal Express driver of the year competition, I came 3rd place in Europe :slight_smile:
The following year they entered me in British driver of the year in Oxford, I came 12th which was a supprise considering the seething masses of entrees.

Got this In One edition of our Pensions Magazine, Lorry Dvr Of The Yr 1982 BRS B/ham

LDOY Carlisle 1974.

Finals 1981 Cranfield.
Interesting because of the Vehicle makes.

Ray