Some old truck racing pics

thaese pics are from one of the races at donnington, maybe 86■■ i cant remember, i know it wasnt the very first ones though. its great to see (if you can make em out) bseries erf’s, roadtrains, cargo’s, tm’s, daf 28’s ect racing and that white road boss. these days all the trucks are too uch like f1 cars i liked the chaos of the very early meets! sorry the pics are bad quality but i thought it might have some interest to somebody.

top stuff mal i was there aswell as a kid it was the smell of it all brings back some good memories :laughing:

im glad you liked em carl! i widh i would have took a load of pics at the very first ones, there was the tilt trailers parked outside that the italian racers had to deliver the monday after, if the truck was still in one piece! what bold ■■■■■■■ they were, brilliant!

I went to the racing at Silverstone in 1985, and there was some fantastic ‘sideways’ action going on.

I seem to recall one of Swains of Stretton’s R-cabbed Scanias going off into the gravel at a rapid rate of knots right in front of us, met with a big cheer from the crowd.

I have some pictures somewhere, but it’s like everything else; they’ll only surface when I’ve stopped looking for them.

I got this pennant for taking part :laughing:

marky it would be nice to see those pics m8 if you can get round to it, i really liked the early years, carnage! :wink: :laughing:

great stuff pigpen, if inaugral means the first race, i was there. ■■■■■■■ brilliant, well done all you racers! i think an italian in an f10/12 volvo won it :question: if you were by any chance racing the leyland buffalo, im sure there was one, you’ll be my hero m8! :laughing:

if i remember rightly didnt slim borgud from sweden take part and im sure barry sheene raced a daf ive still got a couple of mugs i bought when i attended that first race :laughing:

I am driving the Daf on the right and Dulio Ghislotti is charging thru in the Volvo fh12 lol

Btw Mal the bloke drving the Leyland Buffalo went by the name Bernard Hunter

Barrie Sheene and Steve Parrish both raced bikes before going truck racing. Sheene was sponsored by DAF for a while when he raced bikes

I remember one race at Donington, it could have been the first one where Jeremy Beadle got ■■■■■■ and was driving a Leyland Roadrunner round the spectator areas on the grass :stuck_out_tongue:

superb stuff pigpen! brings a memory back, and thanks for the pic and information on the buffalo jockey! :laughing:

carl, that white road boss i posted might be the slim borguds motor i think, anybody?

pigpen:
Btw Mal the bloke drving the Leyland Buffalo went by the name Bernard Hunter

Of Northern Crane Hire fame? If so he was heavily involved in car racing.

BTW wasnt Dulio Ghislohtti the man who famously tried to set fire to his Truck on the slow down lap after winning a Truck GP over here?

At that first race there such oddities as a Gardner engined Guy Big J with an external roll cage - surely the first time a slow old bird like a Gardner had been raced? Imagine the other drivers quaking in their boots “No its not a 150 6xlb, its a 180 xlc!!” … nah! :wink:

Went to the first race at Zolder around that time. there were also a couple of Glaswegians who’d dropped a trailer outside whist they were racing One of the Italians rolled his Merc(?) and didn’t survive (no roll cage).

badyin:
One of the Italians rolled his Merc(?) and didn’t survive (no roll cage).

yep thats what brought in proper MSA type legislation, it always seems fatalities are the only things that drive safety onwards.