CJA1:

CJA1:

CJA1:

CJA1:

CJA1:

CJA1:

tyreman:
I went to Brands Hatch in 1986. This was a card given away in the programme

quote= CJA1] Yeh was at Brands first race there, Remember stayed in Digs in Gravesend overnight, always very close racing there, Got some Piccs Somewhere Cheers CJA1.

CJA1:
Do any you guy"s remember the little Belgian on the Motor Bikes Stunt Riding? Got a couple of Piccies here Cheers CJA1.

And another? CJA!.

CJA1:
And what about Murty"s rocket? this one of it being towed in, Cheers CJA1.

CJA1:
Any you Guy"s Remember Relince tankers did a bit of racing? Cheers CJA1,

CJA1:
Another Reliance Tankers Motor Billy Grenell Dave Casey Tried out the Racing, Think the other Guy was one of the fitters?

CJA1:

CJA1:

CJA1:

CJA1:

CJA1:

CJA1:

CJA1:

tyreman:

quote= CJA1] Yeh was at Brands first race there, Remember stayed in Digs in Gravesend overnight, always very close racing there, Got some Piccs Somewhere Cheers CJA1.

CJA1:
Do any you guy"s remember the little Belgian on the Motor Bikes Stunt Riding? Got a couple of Piccies here Cheers CJA1.

And another? CJA!.

CJA1:

CJA1:

CJA1:
Another Reliance Tankers Motor Billy Grenell Dave Casey Tried out the Racing, Think the other Guy was one of the fitters?

CJA1:
And what about the Peterbilt used to come over from holland, then after the meet would go back to work Cheers CJA1.

CJA1:

CJA1:

CJA1:

CJA1:

CJA1:

CJA1:

CJA1:

CJA1:

tyreman:

CJA1:

And another? CJA!.

CJA1:

CJA1:

CJA1:

CJA1:
And what about the Peterbilt used to come over from holland, then after the meet would go back to work Cheers CJA1.

What about the tricks ? Cheers CJA1

markbacon:
Hi, I’m looking for old magazines with mel bacon in. They were a couple of them that followed truck racing, truck and driver, one also called truck, I would like to know who published them if anyone has some old copies so i can get back issues.

Mel is my father and I’m trying to collect magazines, pictures, videos etc as we lost a lot over the years. I’m also trying to track down Bertie if anyone has acme information on her whereabouts.

Mark Bacon

CJA1:
More Close stuff S/stone Cheers Chris.

CJA1:

markbacon:
Hi, I’m looking for old magazines with mel bacon in. They were a couple of them that followed truck racing, truck and driver, one also called truck, I would like to know who published them if anyone has some old copies so i can get back issues.

Mel is my father and I’m trying to collect magazines, pictures, videos etc as we lost a lot over the years. I’m also trying to track down Bertie if anyone has acme information on her whereabouts.

Mark Bacon

CJA1:
More Close stuff S/stone Cheers Chris.

CJA1:
And what about the Cabriole"" leading the way round Cheers Chris.

New Folder 019.JPG

mikeyb:
Yep, 1984, Not too fussed about which track etc but I have only managed to find one picture of the truck I am looking for on the net.

So anything would really help :smiley:

Mike

CJA1:
Walker and the Lucas Cheers Chris.

New Folder 024.JPG

CJA1:

CJA1:

CJA1:

CJA1:

CJA1:

CJA1:

tyreman:

CJA1:

And another? CJA!.

CJA1:

CJA1:

quote=CJA1] Reliance in the wall? cheers Chris.

CJA1:

CJA1:

CJA1:

CJA1:

tyreman:

CJA1:

And another? CJA!.

I reckon this little fella inspired someone to go on and create “Mario Kart Wii”…

hi

who is the magirust deutz driver??
bye

this is great thread, i will find some pictures of trucking racing at brands and put up

driverjoe:
this is great thread, i will find some pictures of trucking racing at brands and put up

CJA1:
Hi driverjoe", Yeh Dig em" out mate brings back a few menories, Regards Chris CJA1.

Apologies if bumping such an old thread is poor form on this forum.

This thread has given me such a sense of nostalgia I had to comment. I found it after Googling based on a thin memory following the sad news of Mike Smith’s death this week.

I had a VHS video of early UK Truck Racing that I must have nearly worn out when I was small. IIRC it was a round up of a year’s season of racing and included footage of the ‘Wheeley Truck’ and the Jet Truck.

If I can find the video (I’ve texted my Dad and have him searching the loft as I type) and get it on to Youtube I’ll post a link here.

Corkman:
Apologies if bumping such an old thread is poor form on this forum.

This thread has given me such a sense of nostalgia I had to comment. I found it after Googling based on a thin memory following the sad news of Mike Smith’s death this week.

I had a VHS video of early UK Truck Racing that I must have nearly worn out when I was small. IIRC it was a round up of a year’s season of racing and included footage of the ‘Wheeley Truck’ and the Jet Truck.

If I can find the video (I’ve texted my Dad and have him searching the loft as I type) and get it on to Youtube I’ll post a link here.

Glad you bumped it as i’d never seen this thread, and its been a good read with some cracking pics :grimacing:
Shame to hear about Mike Smith.
Can anyone remember what year Brands Hatch hosted their first truck race■■? I went with my school pal and his dad and it was a bloody cracking day out for us as schoolkids, and his dad loved it too guessing it was 83/84 maybe. I remember it being cracking racing, all thrills and spills and i seem to remember one of the racers being a huge sleeper cabbed yank truck billowing out plumes of black smoke from the stacks and it sounded great. Think it was kind of a cream and brown colour iirc, sadly i don’t have any pics.

Now i could be wrong here but i’m sure on that day Concorde also did a couple of really low fly pasts with all its lights on and the landing gear down, it was bloody great :slight_smile:

The first truck race was 1984 at Donnington which brought about one of the biggest traffic jams in the area and a crowd of over 100,000. Took everyone by surprise! I can remember the grey Pete at Brands in 85/86. Think it had a V8 Detroit with an Alison auto and would cream everything on the straights but almost had to do a 3 point turn at the hairpin. IIRC it didn’t have front brakes either. Concorde did do a fly past a couple of times as well a Harrier jump jet and WW2 flight.
Used to love going to those races and always a big crowd.

1984 I remember we took 2 coach loads and the traffic was gridlocked we parked on a back road and all walked in about 3 mls but it was worth it cracking day and it had never been seen before normal road trucks racing, I see a couple of photos on here of local racer Nibbs Garnett from Hellifield

Broadslide:
The first truck race was 1984 at Donnington which brought about one of the biggest traffic jams in the area and a crowd of over 100,000. Took everyone by surprise! I can remember the grey Pete at Brands in 85/86. Think it had a V8 Detroit with an Alison auto and would cream everything on the straights but almost had to do a 3 point turn at the hairpin. IIRC it didn’t have front brakes either. Concorde did do a fly past a couple of times as well a Harrier jump jet and WW2 flight.

Cheers :wink:

Broadslide:

Hi Broadside Yeh Remember it fairly well we was there as they say, and I got a picc of the affore mentioned Concorde Cheers Chris

Hi,

I am looking to find any pictures of the first truck race at Donnington. Specifically after some pics of a couple of leyland Roadtrains that were sponsored by Lucas CAV and had union jack livery. I think one was driven by Mel Bacon, and the other may or may not have been Richard Walker. One was a high datum and the other a low datum which I gather was nick named “Dirty Gerty” number 30 :smiley:

Any pics or vids no matter what the quality would be appreciated. As I want to duplicate aspects of the livery for my own truck.

Many Thanks
Mike

would that have been 1984? i will have a few photos somewhere from silverstone, but can’t guarantee i could find them - me and my cousin got so engrossed that we missed our bus/coach home, but got a lift with steve “jet truck” murty who lived quite near to us, how cool was that for a couple of teenagers?! :sunglasses:

Wow, I remember being at Donnington for the first ever truck race. I may have some pics somewhere, I’ll have a dig for them. I can remember Barry Sheene driving the Clausthaler DAF there also and walking round the paddock where most of the racers had dropped their loaded trailers to race. After the weekend they hooked back up to them and carried on working.

It was a great day out :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: