The UK's First truck race. Were you there?

some photos my dad took at donnington that year
barry sheenes daf

richard walkers roadtrain

any one remember the marlboro bedford tm in the back of this pic

ive been told thats steve parish and a mitchell cotts merc

i know nothing about the renault, any info on it anyone

Great images, its a shame that digital camera’s were not available then.

Have a more of you truck race fans out there some pictures hidden away from the first British truck race.

If you do not have imaging facilities please PM me and I can arrange for them to be scanned and returned.

If any of you have any video’s from the good old days (racing) then please PM me, as we would be interested in seeing them.

Very Good memories. First race in the Uk was in 1984 at Donington Park. The roads and motorways were at a stand still with traffic trying to get there and east midlands airport had to be closed as emergency vehicles could not get through.
Truck racing is getting better and more interesting, as you say that the manufacturer has gone. The BTRA championship in the UK has more action than in Europe as everyone works on small budgets.

I’ve never been to truck racing, I use to race bikes & like you have real strong memories of that first race, especially of that first stiff bruised feeling, which always seemed to follow my race days.
I normally read the write ups about truck racing & my wife & I have discussed going to see it, but with Snetterton & thus lots of good racing, just 30 minutes drive away, a longer journey to see some racing never seems worth it.

Ah! so it was 84, yes I was , but I wernt certain if it was 83! Cheers for the reminder!

I was at a truck race at Mondello park near Dublin, great stuff, it was the best part of the show :laughing: :smiley: :smiley: :sunglasses:

I went to Donington for the truck racing in 1984

We found a couple of pubs, which strangely enough have attracted me from 5000 miles away and I am now a regular.

No interest in Truck Racing though. the trucks destroy the tracks for proper racing on 2 wheels :stuck_out_tongue:

i have to remember as i was one of the crazy drivers who raced round donny :blush: it took place on 29 & 30 sept 84

pigpen:
i have to remember as i was one of the crazy drivers who raced round donny :blush: it took place on 29 & 30 sept 84

What truck did you race and what position did you finish. Most of all was the truck drivable afterwords ? :laughing: :laughing:

I was there.I travelled down from my parents home in Tyneside,in my old MK1 ■■■■■■,and being as it was my first time at a long distance run,promptly ended up at Donington in Nottinghamshire,some miles away!!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

After being given directions to the circuit,I did make it eventually.

I also remember when truck racing was done with trucks,who,upon finishing the days meeting,would then hitch up to the loaded trailer in the paddock,and then disappear off down the road to deliver the following day.

Seemingly those days are long gone,and like all forms of motorsport, it’s now big budgets that rule the roost. :frowning: (I should know,I race in autograss.)

Ken.

i was there the mutipart truck grand prix as it said on the mugs i bought.barry sheene drove a daf and im sure kurt gorrenson took part there was also show trucks in the hall by the dunlop bridge.great day alas no more races at donnington.

I woz there. Spent most of the day at the bottom of the Craner Curves nr the Old hairpin until a truck went off & bounced across the gravel trap & hit the concrete wall & damaged it just to my right :open_mouth: . I believe it was a truck from Scotland.
I did also follow truck racing to Brands Hatch & Silverstone. Barry Sheene, Steve Parrish & I think Richard Walker where some of the names. Also I cant remember his name but I think he was a Dutchman that made headlines in one of the trucking magazines for being charged caravan tax on his sleeper pod. One meeting I went to at Brands Eddie the Eagle was a guest of I the T45.

the truck was a daf 2800 we stood no chance :cry: as it was a280hp they put it in the 300hp to 450hp races we came last gearbox trouble :angry: the teams name was A C M racing the motor was bought from a firm in swindon by the name of J W Q

Carl:
i was there the mutipart truck grand prix as it said on the mugs i bought.

I’ve got one of those mugs somewhere in the house Carl. I’ve also got a model of a bonneted Scammel artic from the 2nd Multipart Truck Grand Prix but i don’t remember if that was at Donnington as well?
Me and the wife spent most of the race in the T45 Team hospitality tent right next to the track.Great views of the racing.I hope to get to both Thruxton and Brands Hatch this year (work permitting?)

Now that racing is back at Brands what are the chances of it returning to Donnington in the next couple of years?

Believe it or not racing has been a Donnington for a few years. Having our last race there in Nov 2003. The circuit was updated to keep the bikes there and the trucks have had to stop racing as they say we damage the edges of the track. No other circuits complain.

So this goes to show that Truck racing needs the word spreading. Its happening at a circuit near you and you don’t even know.

Have just found this thread an i’m 99% certain I was there. I was only 9 at the time so had gone there with my dad who unfortunately can’t remember if it was the first race or not. He was and still is a regular visitor to donington so its likely i’m correct.