My diary to John O Groats (updated and finished)

Well been retired 2 1/2 years now and this is what i miss, nothing else, enjoyed it tremendously.
Found the post whilst looking for something else, happy memories.

A diary of sorts about my trip the other week from Warrington to John O Groats in my truck,Hopefully the photos will be ok although I’m no David Bailey.
Most of pictures will be random shot no other reason hence not all will have captions.
Well it’s Monday and 3 fork trucks loaded ready for the off. Won’t bother too much about the trip up to Perth unless something unusual happens.
1ST delivery is in Perth after that for me that’s where this little adventure begins.
Been waiting 40 years for a trip like this so I intend to savour every moment.
Weight wise I haven’t got any on the swan neck which make driving in snow/ice interesting especially with having a 20 foot heavy folding ramp at the back.

Managed to get 20 miles south of Inverness and parked in a nice quiet lay by for the night. No internet connection but not bothered, just going to have a wash then tea and probably read for a bit Apparently it was a bit below minus 14 last night

Passed through Inverness and half way up the hill had the temp gauge fly off the handle so went back to Daf agents in Inverness who sorted the problem,(blocked radiator vents) didn’t need that for the big climb and u bend at Berriedale which I found “interesting”. Maybe a bit different on the way back due to snow forcast.
Well I made John O Groats by 2.30pm only to find (or not to find) anyone here to receive the trucks. Bit of a misunderstanding from the organisers so lucky me a night out at the old john o groats hotel car park.
Enjoyed the journey immensely and as some one said in original post spent a lot of time admiring the scenery. Had to be careful I didn’t admire it to much and drop off the road. Was sunny and clear all the way up from Inverness some could see for miles.
In john o groats you can see where the Atlantic Ocean and The North Sea actually meet; it looks like a line across the water, weird really.
Splendid view of the Islands due to the clear weather.
Nice and quiet now only me here,(there is no one living at the tip of the land just tourist shops etc) looks like I will have a peaceful night.

See what Wednesday brings.

Well Wednesday I finally got rid of the truck so off they set. It was a bit late in the day and I had to wait for support truck to give them some equipment leaving me all alone to spend another night in John O Groats ,still have stayed in many a worse place and it is very quiet and peaceful .Actually spent the day doing this diary and going for a couple of walks (keeping me truck in sight)
Seems the drive down to Lands End with the fork truck is going to have a few weather problems in Scotland.
Couldn’t get the equipment to the support truck till Thursday morning so peaceful nights sleep again.

Thursday morning woke up to blizzard conditions one minute then rain the next, sea looking a bit rough and lost site of the island.
Met the support truck about 9am and off loaded their gear.
That’s me back on the road south and have to say enjoyed my little stay in John O Groats, very friendly people.
Not much happening south bound except a bit more snow on the ground. Enjoyed the scenery yet again.
Arrived at Berridale and a bit different because of the weather but that only made it more interesting and enjoyable. O.K. for all the warnings /needing extra underpants etc for Berridale I found it ok no real problem but then again I was forewarned so acted accordingly. It is a bit different and can be a challenge to a fully loaded wagon either up or down because of the bends either side but if you travel that way anytime just take your time and enjoy it.
Called into Inverness to collect a fork truck and whilst there received a phone call from team Tim that Avimore police wanted the truck off the road due to the weather conditions. I met them in a chaotic Avimore where everything was snowbound, got the truck loaded right outside the police station and after a short wait set off through the town back to the A9 and joined a queue because the southbound exit was blocked with snow.
Eventually got onto A9 travelled south for 16.2 miles and stopped.
That’s the snow gates shut at Newtonmore for the night.
I and a shed load of other wagons set up to be parked up for the night so cooked me tea and watched a DVD.
2 ½ hours later the road is opened and I end up sat all alone on the A9 hoping someone doesn’t come steaming into the back of me. Police then came down say we could either go through or wait at the gates, I choose the gates because of driving /work time. Pulled into lay-by a couple of hundred yards from the gates and had a good sleep, no worries.

Friday 6am woke to find road shut again (surprise surprise) so the 3 wagons in lay-by pulled back onto road and joined the queue. I am for anyone’s interest parked right next to the road sign for Newtonmore B9150 Laggan (A86). Since Leaving Avimore I have covered a grand total of 16 miles (I think) in a day . Still snowing and road doesn’t look like opening for a good while yet, visions of having a weekend away from home looms.Eventually road opens and off we go heading for Blackford near Perth to collect a fork truck and after that down to Edingburgh to meet team tim with the truck.
Managed to get down to Edingburgh and then Police closed the a68 Jedburgh road. Stayed on the road overnight and set off Saturday morning, had a good run through and eventually cleared the snowline near to Newcastle .
From there was a straight run back home. Walked through the door 2pm Saturday.
photobucket playing up yet again ,click the link below

s143.photobucket.com/albums/r158 … ts/Trailor ready for loading

The workshop

The engineer who made sure it was right

Both show a radio disc player which is fitted in some fork trucks

Better than the one in my truck

Him again

First one on

Thats 3 on

Off we go up the m6

Nice sunny day so far

Pretty view

Top of Shap summit

Ha the last chance for England to get money off you Scots (last speed camera in England)

No where near yet

The place to marry young

That sign says it all

Big fluffy clouds

The open road ahead

Getting near stirling

Beautiful is all i can say

Was in excellent condition for it age

Think this if Cromarty Firth

A bit more

Nice view again

Can’t get enough of scenery

Dornoch firth .Nice road to travel

Blue water

Quiet road

The long open road lays before me.

Nice if you can afford it

Good sea view as well

More open road

interesting turns

Looking back

Berridale bend (need I say more)

Worth the climb

Grid lock highland style

Oil/Gas rigs out at sea

Might need him later (yep and a few of his mates)

Excellent view

Looks a bit lonely

And spooky

Getting near John O Groats

The Islands over the water

The real village

Everyone lives around here not on the coast

The quayside

Proof

Yes the bar was shut

How far !!!

That’s me parked up.

All alone here.

Looking inland

and again.

This is where The North Sea meets The Atlantic Ocean. you may see a line in the water where they meet.

]
Not going down there looks to cold

That’s me parked up.

All alone here.

Looking inland

and again.

This is where The North Sea meets The Atlantic Ocean. you may see a line in the water where they meet.

]
Not going down there looks to cold

pictures taken using camera on fixed dash board bracket and remote button

Great diary buddy there has been a serious lack of diaries recently on here but yours was a good un :wink:

Cannae believe that fork had a cd player :open_mouth: that fella must really look after his employees to get that extra.

Excellent post mate, lots of work there uploading all these - I particluarly like the way you drove the ft round to all the touristy spots to take the piccies - nice one - and thanks for sharing. :smiley:

excellent read buddy, i hope you enjoyed your adventure up north, its just a pity them kind of trips dont last long enough do they

Yeh, good diary and good pictures.

But come on, blue tooth ear piece in your ear when your taking a photo of yourself. :unamused: :wink: :laughing: :laughing:

Thanks very much a well written post and excellent pictures
again ta very much

JoeG:
Yeh, good diary and good pictures.

But come on, blue tooth ear piece in your ear when your taking a photo of yourself. :unamused: :wink: :laughing: :laughing:

:blush: :blush: :blush:
bloody office rang as photo was taken but ooooooppppppppppppppppssssssssssssssss anyway :laughing:

A good read that gezt. Excellent pictures to go with it. I notice that the guy on the bike must have passed you somewhere, while you were sight-seeing. :laughing: :laughing: Just one complaint. Picture No13 at Shap Summit. Northbound. If I,d have known you were on your way, I,d have got on the bridge at J39. You could have took a picture of me; Throwing a load of V signs at yer, as yer went underneath. :laughing: :laughing: I,m a bit disappointed about that. :wink: :wink: Like I said in my post when you said about your trip, back in February. You will remember it for a long time.

Nice pics there, I’m still waiting for a trip like that though…

…probably be waiting a while yet too.

Thanks for the pics and write up. Good one fella. :smiley:

Fantastic read and pics there matey… :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

i told you would enjoy the Berridale Braes… lol…

A good read, even better with so many pics!! Nice one.

Maybe I’ve missed something . . . . what’s the ‘JoG to LE’ on a forklift event??

Great read and pictures mate.
Glad you got through Berridale ok :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:
And then a light dusting of snow on the way south just to keep things interesting :laughing: :laughing:

That was very enjoyable.

Always wondered what J.O.G looked like :smiley:

Excellent pic’s well done.

Wish it was me going there.

good one

That brings back memories I done it in a van one hit from brum left Sunday afternoon I remember it was pitch black on the way up there and coming back home I wished I had left early Sunday morning so i could of had the pleasure of the views twice they really are stunning good diary and thanks for reminding me what im now missing cant wait to get out on the road again but in something a lot bigger

Great diary and great photos it looks like you had a good time

Great read and pictures, enjoyed that very much.

marcustandy:
A good read, even better with so many pics!! Nice one.

Maybe I’ve missed something . . . . what’s the ‘JoG to LE’ on a forklift event??

go here mate ,say’s it all
teamtim.co.uk/