Another CPC question... but not the normal one

Evening folks
I am quoting for some work which needs Group D or C plus valid CPC .
As my truck driving was private and out of scope, never bothered with CPC.
The coach driving time was before the rules came in, then I changed jobs.

Got my:-
D in April 2008, CPC needed from Sept 2008
C in March 2010, CPC needed from Sept 2009
As an old git, I have grandfather rights (whatever that means in this context)

So, as I understand it, I could do 35 hours periodic or Mod 2 and Mod 4 to get up to date for D.
But I would need to do Mod 2 and Mod 4 for my C. No periodic possible.

My questions tonight…
Is this correct?
Is there a better option?
Can I combine some stuff to get all in one go?
Any proposals welcome.

Worst case would be 70 hours CPC… (and possibly loose the will to live)

Cheers
Paul

PS Training providers in South Wales are welcome to contact me…
PPS Passed group A in March 1979, B in March 1980, +E in June 2011

I believe that you need to do five modules lasting seven hours before you do any commercial driving. As you already have the D AND C on your licence one set of five modules covers you for both classes of vehicle.

alam
That is what I think…
But, I am sure someone on here (CPC provider…) can give a good answer, then take my money!
Cheers
Paul

Do 35 hours periodic attendance training and make sure the courses are approved for both PCV & LGV so that way the 35 hours will cover both

Thanks Rog, just the confirmation I was looking for.
I have found a local provider with the course marked as valid for both HGV and PCV, £80 including upload.
My search will continue…
Cheers
Paul

Are you continuing to search because you think £80 per 7 hour module is expensive? It’s pretty average in my experience, the cheapest I’ve found local to me (North east England) is £65, but most tend to be around £75.

The courses on offer is just 30 minutes from home.
So with a bit of careful planning should be good for next year.
Price seems OK to me, can claim as a Ltd company expense anyway.

Paul

Zac_A:
Are you continuing to search because you think £80 per 7 hour module is expensive? It’s pretty average in my experience, the cheapest I’ve found local to me (North east England) is £65, but most tend to be around £75.

£60 is cheapest I’ve found in Hull but you definitely get what you pay for. It wasn’t a patch on the place I went to in Scarborough which was £75 and run by the commercial arm of Harrogate College.

Conor:

Zac_A:

£60 is cheapest I’ve found in Hull but you definitely get what you pay for. It wasn’t a patch on the place I went to in Scarborough which was £75 and run by the commercial arm of Harrogate College.

Makes sense.
Given you’ve got to pay out that £60 to stay employed, so it is only £15 extra in your example to get summat of value.

Its with trepidation that I say this but, I THINK THAT ROG HAS GOT IT WRONG. As our man has C and D classification on his licence he can do ANY five modules as long as they are JAUPT accredited.

Franglais:

Conor:

Zac_A:

Makes sense.
Given you’ve got to pay out that £60 to stay employed, so it is only £15 extra in your example to get summat of value.

I disagree as I see this dcpc for what it is, a box ticking excercise, and a pr excercise, with no real substance, and I have not been sold the b/s as some apparentlly have.
That and the fact that I am being forced against my will with the threat of losing my job to ensure I do it, it’s the cheapest option for me every time… (just to tick that box,.and get it over with.)

alamcculloch:
Its with trepidation that I say this but, I THINK THAT ROG HAS GOT IT WRONG. As our man has C and D classification on his licence he can do ANY five modules as long as they are JAUPT accredited.

No it depends on how the course has been registered. Most courses are registered as valid for C and D but there are exceptions which onky count for one or t’other

alamcculloch:

That was my understanding but, frankly as long as you’ve got a DQC I can’t see it mattering as that’s all anyone’s going to want to see.

Own Account Driver:

alamcculloch:

That was my understanding but, frankly as long as you’ve got a DQC I can’t see it mattering as that’s all anyone’s going to want to see.

My Driver Qualification Card has symbols for trucks on the rear. Presumably a bus driver’s DQC would have symbols for a bus? And someone whose 5 course modules were ALL dual approved goods/passenger would have both sets of symbols?
I don’t know, wondering out loud.

alamcculloch:

But that is what Rog has said…

Paul

I’ve got PCV and not HGV. Always understood that I could do HGV modules like load security or whatever and still keep my CPC up to date. Might try it actually…

I’ve got a licence for pcv and hgv and always believed it didn’t matter what type of cpc course I attended as any would be valid and I would only need to do 5. As my cpc card expires in September I am currently renewing it and simply booked 5 of the cheapest courses I could find, all happen to be hgv based, but I need to keep pcv entitlement. Can anyone confirm this or point me in the direction of facts which say otherwise.

dekka:
I’ve got a licence for pcv and hgv and always believed it didn’t matter what type of cpc course I attended as any would be valid and I would only need to do 5. As my cpc card expires in September I am currently renewing it and simply booked 5 of the cheapest courses I could find, all happen to be hgv based, but I need to keep pcv entitlement. Can anyone confirm this or point me in the direction of facts which say otherwise.

The last 8 hours of shear boredom I attended had a group of coach drivers from Reay’s, we all endured the same syllabus.
So true to form all meaningless, all.a waste of time, all about making money.
But at least those drivers will know how to strap up a load of chipboard efficientlly next time they’re taking a coach load of pensioners to Bognor. :unamused:

dekka:

Each JAUPT course is approved for LGV, PCV or both - here are some examples = jaupt.org.uk/course-search? … y=distance

When each course attended is uploaded the driver should only be credited with the LGV/PCV hours that the course is approved for

This is why those with both LGV & PCV wishing to cover both at the same time must ensure the course is approved for both

That is the way it is supposed to work but I get the feeling that if a driver does 35 LGV only approved courses and they have PCV on licence then the DQC comes back covering both - I stand to be corrected if mistaken !

Untill 30 min ago I didn’t know that JAUPT approved courses specifically for HGV or PCV or both, having looked at ROG’s link I refined the search to find the courses I have booked and paid for - they are indeed only approved for HGV.

However it appears to me that only JAUPT recognise this difference and as they are not the organisation that issue DQCs I don’t believe it matters (At least not in terms of doing the minimum required to comply with the law) and that it’s meant to be that way.

FROM gov.uk/driver-cpc-training-courses

“You only need to complete one set of training every 5 years if you drive both lorries and buses professionally.”

Following the link on that page “Find Driver CPC training courses” leads to this:

“Only approved courses taken with approved training centres count towards periodic training.”

A link on this page will then lead to the list of approved courses posted by ROG.

It seems that whether JAUPT have approved a course for HGV or PCV is not relevant but only that they have approved the course to count towards periodic training for “Lorry, bus and coach drivers”.

That’s my take on it anyway and once again if anyone can show evidence to the contrary please do - not because I’m looking for an argument but if Iv’e got it wrong I need to do something about it quickly.