Driver/national cpc?

Hi Guys!

Had a really good assessment drive with Phil Brown Training, doesn’t think I would have a problem passing my C1 first time… :smiley:

Some questions about the CPC…

Driver and National, what are the two?

do these both have to be fully completed before I would be able to look for work? is it 35 hours?

Only reason I ask is I am unsure I have the ‘hoildays’ left in my current job for doing the CPC, and all the practical stuff… (I’m not one to pull a sickie)
Can the cpc be completed on weekends or does that differ with each company?

any advise would be greatly appreciated!

Thank You!
Shell

Someone on here may well correct me but I did a 5 day course on cat c with test on fifth day. Applied for cpc card and it came out in post. No 35 hours in Classroom maybe that’s not the way it’s meant to work lol

Driver cpc allows drivers to drive LGVs commercially

National/Operator cpc allows a person to run a fleet of vehicles

When did you pass car test?
When did you pass LGV C?
Have you passed initial modules 2 and 4?
Have you done any of the 35 hours periodic dcpc ?

Thank You,

Passed my car test in 2011…

Not done any tests or had any lesson as yet, just trying to plan out my year really and trying to get all the info that I need!

Hi

You will need to pass your theory tests (3):

Multiple choice
Hazard Perception
Mod 2 Case Studies

Then practical training and driving test and practical Mod 4 (practical demonstration test) training and test.

You must complete the first two theory tests before the practical driving test. And you need to pass Mod 2 before Mod 4.

Having done all this, you’ll have your new driving licence and your driver cpc for 5 years. Within that period you will need to complete 35 hours of periodic training.

You mention C1. This is up to 7.5 tonnes. You may want to consider C as this is any rigid vehicle. The training is similar though a bit longer and a bit more money. Everything else remains the same.

A thought: if you’re set on C1 and then decide to upgrade, you should be able to get some of the upgrade training hours credited to the 35 hours periodic training. But check that your trainer is approved to do this.

The same applies for the further upgrade to CE.

Hope this helps, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

I am a little surprised that you only want to go for LGV C1 instead of LGV C ?

Any reason for that?

I agree with Pete and rog. Consider the C as a thought will be a little more expensive but well worth it plus when it comes to looking for the work if your looking for c1 work but learned in a C it might look favourably for you as you have trained in a larger vehicle. Good luck anyway and def go for it

Sorry guys! I meant Cat C!

thanks for the advise!

so what you are saying is I don’t need to do the 35 hours cpc before I can work? I just need to complete it within the 5 years?

Thanks again!

Shell

Shellbear:
Sorry guys! I meant Cat C!

thanks for the advise!

so what you are saying is I don’t need to do the 35 hours cpc before I can work? I just need to complete it within the 5 years?

Thanks again!

Shell

You need to take and pass dcpc initial LGV modules 2 theory and 4 practical to get a 5 year DQC
During the 5 years of that DQC you need 35 hours of periodic training to cover you for a further 5 years

So as long as I pass these 2 modules I am good to work? Regardless of wether it takes me paying someone to teach me for 35 hours or teach myself with literature and Videos.

It is then after I pass the 35 hours is needed within 5 years?

Sorry I am just trying to full understand What needs to be done.

The reason I ask is I want to get all this done by the end of the year and hopefully on the job hunt, however at my current job I only have about 8 days of holiday left to do it. 5 are for the actual driving.

Thank You again!

Shellbear:
So as long as I pass these 2 modules I am good to work? Regardless of wether it takes me paying someone to teach me for 35 hours or teach myself with literature and Videos.

It is then after I pass the 35 hours is needed within 5 years?

Sorry I am just trying to full understand What needs to be done.

The reason I ask is I want to get all this done by the end of the year and hopefully on the job hunt, however at my current job I only have about 8 days of holiday left to do it. 5 are for the actual driving.

Thank You again!

This is what you need to start working as a LGV driver - assuming you never had any LGV (C1 or C) on your licence before 09/09/2009
D4 medcial
D2 application form - tick just C & D
Modules
1a theory
1b HPT
2 dcpc theory
3 practical road drive
4 dcpc practical
You are now good to go for at least 5 years as you get issued with a 5 year DQC

To keep going for a further 5 years after the first 5 years you need a valid medical and a new DQC which is gained by taking 35 hours dcpc periodic training - no testing - during the first 5 years
You then take another 35 hours during the second 5 years to continue for the third 5 years and so on