Ballinalard Transport

Anyone remember the documentary done on this company? It was years ago now. Saw a Breen Transport truck in Lymm yesterday and it jogged the memory. Wasn’t there another documentary done on Breen too?

Anyway here’s the link to the video on YouTube…

Yes, I did giggle at it. There were far, far worse firms than them.

well worth a look if for no other reason that 6 mins into part 3 to see jimmy quinns face wriggling like a fish on a hook when confronted with the fact that he was proven guilty for numerous offences as owner of his company…classic :smiley:

dieseldog999:
well worth a look if for no other reason that 6 mins into part 3 to see jimmy quinns face wriggling like a fish on a hook when confronted with the fact that he was proven guilty for numerous offences as owner of his company…classic :smiley:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Funny, how they chose to pick on a haulier from that part of the country. It’s hardly “haulage central” down there, is it?

There are other parts of that island that contain any amount of hauliers to make documentaries about. I wonder why they chose not to take that course of action.

Absolute load of bolloxs ,the poor driver they seem to have forgot to mention the rest he was getting waiting for the ferry and on the ferry ,was a stitch up from the start by the flip flops ,dramatising it about having to drive from ferry to yard without a break ,■■?.
What the hell was driver at waiting for and on ferry .,they are no better or worse than any other company

No one made him drive bent should have just kept to his hours and jacked the job in when he got back, on the other hand if you’re going to drive bent at least do it properly so you won’t get caught, was easy enough back then and on an analogue card hardly rocket science.

Mazzer2:
No one made him drive bent should have just kept to his hours and jacked the job in when he got back, on the other hand if you’re going to drive bent at least do it properly so you won’t get caught, was easy enough back then and on an analogue card hardly rocket science.

Haha exactly!

bossman:
Absolute load of bolloxs ,the poor driver they seem to have forgot to mention the rest he was getting waiting for the ferry and on the ferry ,was a stitch up from the start by the flip flops ,dramatising it about having to drive from ferry to yard without a break ,■■?.
What the hell was driver at waiting for and on ferry .,they are no better or worse than any other company

Can assure you they are worst than any company I’ve ever worked for.

If I were spoken to like that I’d be handing over the keys to gypsies.

No idea what it’s like now, but years ago, the majority of operators in Ireland were complete arse-holes. Motoring past people whose limiters actually worked, wasn’t out of choice (mostly).

Of course, their customers were even bigger arse-holes, therefore it was a natural progression.

sammym:

bossman:

I take it you’re fairly new to this industry.

Worse still, there were wallopers who actually drove to Ireland at their own expense, to work for them.

A famous member of this forum might recall one particular tube who made the cover of an industry magazine by spending his wages on an Irish haulier’s lorry…

Drempels:

sammym:

bossman:

Yes mate. I am.

I’ve never been asked to break the law in this way. I might have chosen (for my own gain) to do some things which are not exactly legal. But I wouldn’t talk about them on here - and they made me richer, not any company.

sammym:

Drempels:

sammym:

bossman:

Yes mate. I am.

I’ve never been asked to break the law in this way. I might have chosen (for my own gain) to do some things which are not exactly legal. But I wouldn’t talk about them on here - and they made me richer, not any company.

That’s the way to go about it! I wasn’t being funny by asking you that, by the way.

Not that long ago, you’d be out of a job if you wouldn’t or couldn’t twist cards. As for being spoken to in a certain way, it was just normal. Honestly!

The trade-off was, you went off on a trip and your boss was more or less ignorant of what you did until you chose to contact him, so it didn’t matter how much of a meatus he was! :laughing:

Drempels:
Funny, how they chose to pick on a haulier from that part of the country. It’s hardly “haulage central” down there, is it?

There are other parts of that island that contain any amount of hauliers to make documentaries about. I wonder why they chose not to take that course of action.

i think they were intending to target south armagh hauliers until it dawned on them that there was a good chance they would end up in a peat bog if they got caught.
no point in targeting the few who run legal.
they could make the same documentary today from numerous irish firms still running the same way.
the only difference would be the drivers would be on gps tracker so no room to hide.
they were on trip money anyway so theyve no arguement for when the wheels arnt turning.theres nobody in their right mind would agree to do trip dosh and think theres a chance their going to try and run legal.

dieseldog999:

Drempels:

i think they were intending to target south armagh hauliers until it dawned on them that there was a good chance they would end up in a peat bog if they got caught.
no point in targeting the few who run legal.
they could make the same documentary today from numerous irish firms still running the same way.
the only difference would be the drivers would be on gps tracker so no room to hide.
they were on trip money anyway so theyve no arguement for when the wheels arnt turning.theres nobody in their right mind would agree to do trip dosh and think theres a chance their going to try and run legal.

Exactly mate.

They came over without doing any research into how the job worked and in many cases were prepared to work for at least 50% of the going rate, rates in the South East are at least 40 euro a day below the rest of the country. Spoke with a Pole from Nolans 2 years ago and he was moaning that the Romainians were undercutting the wages, if he hadn’t heard of the phrase Pot Kettle Black he certainly fully understood it by the time we finished speaking

If you turn up in a mans yard and present yourself as a mug then don’t be surprised when that man then mugs you off

well at least up here in the north we have the cream of the crop employers to pick and choose from.
i got a phone call today to inform me that hannons have just put their per day rate up to £115 per full card shift for doing the flowers back from holland to ireland north and south.top figure including night out dosh…surely nobody can expect more than that?? :laughing:

dieseldog999:
well at least up here in the north we have the cream of the crop employers to pick and choose from.
i got a phone call today to inform me that hannons have just put their per day rate up to £115 per full card shift for doing the flowers back from holland to ireland north and south.top figure including night out dosh…surely nobody can expect more than that?? :laughing:

A bit better than one man I heard of lately £75 /day into the bank . And he wonders why he can’t get somebody to polish his new truck . lol

There does seem to be an awful lot of lorries in NI for the size of the place.

Standard practice seems to be:

Buy shiny Swedish lorry

Apply surname to front of roof

Sub for big outfit

Sell lorry to somebody else

Repeat process

Not saying it doesn’t happen in UK, but market there seems over-subscribed.

I should add; they’re always well presented in fairness, and you never see them with scrapes or bits hanging off them. I think it also has to be said that the drivers, love them or hate them, are genuinely interested in what they do and are (gasp) proud of it.