Irish haulage company breaking hours regs - Documentary?

Does anybody have a link to the documentary about a haulage firm from Eire, one of whose drivers took secret footage of the ridiculous hours he was being asked to perform?

I don’t think it was on here that long ago, but struggling to find it!

Not trying to start a ‘holier than thou’ argument regarding hours, just trying to find the video :slight_smile:

This was the thread :

Its several years old now and not that relevant any longer. Just so you know.

There was also Balinlard (spelling) Transport

youtube.com/watch?v=sta7lB2VmD4

Part one

switchlogic:
Its several years old now and not that relevant any longer. Just so you know.

Relevant to what or who ? I find it very interesting and somewhat strange that relativley rural Irish Hauliers have been able to expand to running trucks in there hundreds, staffed with EU drivers amid claims of drivers hours manipulation, cabotage claims etc… At the same time these Irish companies have grown, many UK hauliers have closed, folded, gone to the wall etc… they reckon the margins are tight and they can’t compete. Fuel price is often cited as a major reason for this. For this reason alone i’d say its very interesting to look at these Irish hauliers who have managed to expand and grow in a time when many have failed. If we studied them enough we might find the reason for their sucess. Knowledge can only be a good thing, it can help us all.
And of course you’ve gave us a few of your personal insights in the past to help us build up a picture.
I coud nail it in a sentance, but i don;t want to overstep the mark. Best let it develop itself ! :smiley:

Trying to compare the Irish transport industry to the British one is fairly futile. Might as well as the same question of Dutch operators or Danish. Only one company from the republic of Ireland could be said to run a fleet in the hundreds, and that’s Nolans, very much the exception. Many of the rest just like Virginia are middle sized and many many more have a handful of trucks. There is no secret Irish formula. Just as many Irish companies have gone to the wall. We only have a bigger international fleet because not many European trucks make it to Ireland, leaving the loads in and out for the Irish to do. So sorry, no magic here, no more successful than the UK at transport, no less successful proportionally either. Like I say, such different markets its pointless comparing them. Besides, that programme was so sensationalist it wasn’t very relevant when it came out. TV tells a story TV wants to tell, and often that’s a very long way from reality.

switchlogic:
Trying to compare the Irish transport industry to the British one is fairly futile. Might as well as the same question of Dutch operators or Danish. Only one company from the republic of Ireland could be said to run a fleet in the hundreds, and that’s Nolans, very much the exception. Many of the rest just like Virginia are middle sized and many many more have a handful of trucks. There is no secret Irish formula. Just as many Irish companies have gone to the wall. We only have a bigger international fleet because not many European trucks make it to Ireland, leaving the loads in and out for the Irish to do. So sorry, no magic here, no more successful than the UK at transport, no less successful proportionally either. Like I say, such different markets its pointless comparing them. Besides, that programme was so sensationalist it wasn’t very relevant when it came out. TV tells a story TV wants to tell, and often that’s a very long way from reality.

Yeah, i’m not including that Yogi guy. And i wasn;t trying to make mileage out of it. But at the same time i think it is interesting how Irish hauliers have expanded. Off top of my head there where things like the Dell computer contract, tobacco contracts that i could see would create a haulage demand. They’ve gone as far as i know and the demand for the haulage has not abated.
I’m not making any inference other than its interesting.

The demand for haulage comes and goes just like in the UK. Some companies are now much smaller, Breen, some gone altogether, Managh, Agip. There really is no secret Irish formula! Sometimes we are flat out, sometimes its deadly quiet. Just like the UK. Not many have expanded to be fair. Even Virginia has a few less trucks than we had 2/3 years ago.

My cousion works for ballinard 100% legal these days. Something i have noticed of late is its not all v8 scanias leaving ireland now theres sone much more mundane kit.
I supouse the vosa are wise to the 20 ton of steel under the load off beef :smiley:

Well, Ireland is the bread basket of Europe & if I was a farmer with a trailer load of my pride & joy to send over I’d want a brother & not a flip flop to take it.