Getting close......

Well, I’ve been going to the gym (not) training my left limbs back into shape after 8 years or so of driving trucks with auto ‘boxes.
It’s getting very close to new truck time so I’m started to get a bit apprehensive. Having never driven a wagon n drag in anger learning to reverse again after 22 years in artics is a bit daunting to say the least. Anybody done the same going from artics to drags got any advice? Cheers.

And does this mean I’m somewhat a lesser trucker now I’ll be in a glorified class 2 or can I still hold my head up high as a fully fledged class one expert? [emoji23]

Given you’re not driving an A frame reversing it will be not too different to being in an artic and you’ll find it fairly easy to adapt to. Main difference is it’ll turn quicker. Hooking up will be the biggest pain in the arse to get used to.

nomiS36:
got any advice?

Select R and go back’ards…

Job done.

In other words stop overthinking it and do it.

It’s not an A frame so it reverses similar to an artic.

I had never driven a wagon and drag before either, an absolute doddle and actually easier than an artic. You need about 10 mins to get used to it.

Yep when I came off artics and on to W&D I had to stop and think what I was doing.
One thing I did have to change was not pulling out so far forward when turning on a tight junction and instead allow for a wider turning circle.
I like W&D…especially when I lose the trailer for a day or 2 and become a rigid driver on artic wages :smiley:

msgyorkie:
Yep when I came off artics and on to W&D I had to stop and think what I was doing.
One thing I did have to change was not pulling out so far forward when turning on a tight junction and instead allow for a wider turning circle.
I like W&D…especially when I lose the trailer for a day or 2 and become a rigid driver on artic wages :smiley:

^^^^ I agree :slight_smile:

I always enjoyed driving the wagon and drag. My only problem was they were drop bodies and the yard we had to load them on nights had some strange lighting so backing under was always a challenge.

Well, 4 more days in my old actros. It’s been sold and the buyer is expecting to have it at the end of this coming week. MAN have said my new one will be with us next weekend but they sounded a bit unsure as they said it. My boss has told them they’ll have to lend us a tractor unit if they don’t deliver on time which they weren’t too happy about. The ball is in their court as they did promise it by the end of the month.

I passed my class 1 in an Iveco W+D. Reversing a fun as the drag can come round on you pretty quick. You should be ok though as yours is a tri-axle jobbie.

Thats going to be lovely to drive, should be a coach like ride quality given the wheelbase length of the prime mover, and the vehicle will be more stable than an artic, surprisingly chuckable in the twisties.
Does that trailer have a front lift axle perchance?

I found W&D much better for reversing than artics, and a nicer drive overall, with only a couple of downsides.
one being obviously tight U turns won’t be happening,
and reversing into a really tight bay ie between two walls due to the length of the prime mover you can lose sight of the back of the trailer until you can straighten the outfit out, so you sometimes have to nip out to check the trailer, but this is hardly a hardship.

I for one would like some running reports if you don’t mind, something is in the offing which i’m unable to talk about, i’d especially like to know how the steering is (recent MAN’s being not good on undulating roads especially) and how that gearbox performs, many thanks for any info.

Yes the rear steer on the PM and the front axle lift (I think) I’m looking forward to having a 16 speed comfortshift again, must be about 15 years since I last used one and loved it then. I’ve never had a motor with super singles and air ride up front so along with no W&D experience I’m thinking I’m going to be like a newbie again! Anyway, here it is nearly ready for delivery this weekend hopefully

Just looked at the build pics again. Yes lift rear steer on PM and front axle lift on the trailer as can be seen if you zoom in.

Delivery day today…

It got delivered last night to our yard after I’d gone home so came in this morning (we don’t work bank hols) and put all my kit in it then went to our local fuelling garage. Good job they have a pump on both sides to allow simultaneous refuelling. 1075 litres [emoji15]
The sat nav head unit looks excellent and as for the comfortshift…fanbloodytastic!!!
8 years since I’ve had a ‘proper’ gearbox and I’m not disappointed. Can’t wait til Tuesday to use it in anger.

Auto boxes are to blame for you being unfit?! Now I’ve seen some weird criticisms of autos but that’s a classic :smiley:

Just my left limbs mate [emoji23]

switchlogic:
Auto boxes are to blame for you being unfit?! Now I’ve seen some weird criticisms of autos but that’s a classic :smiley:

Don’t forget my T.I.T.S (Transmission Induced Tourette’s Syndrome). Autos have definitely caused that…F***ING GEARBOX [emoji35] I can be heard exclaiming every single work day [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

nomiS36:
Just my left limbs mate [emoji23]

Dipper don’t have that problem with his left arm or wrist :open_mouth: and he drives an auto :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Comfort shift a manual obviously , does it cost extra to spec ?
Jim