Wagon and Drag / Artic?

Hi there few questions hope you could help me out, I passed my test 2 years ago and have been driving a DAF 85 CF Wagon and drag and also passed my test in a wagon and drag, Although i have my class 1 Would most companies give training or be prepared to give time to get used to an artic? :question: :question: my dads been in the game for years so know the basics with an artic! and also another which is the easier to drive of the two? :confused: lol sorry just a bit inquisitive! hope you can help us out! ideally id like to do the rock and roll side of transport sent a form off to fly by night nt heard anything back tho!does anyone have any other suggestions!
many thanks guys! :smiley: :smiley: :sunglasses:

I passed my test in an artic 3 years ago, but the only HGV job I was able to get straight after that was wagon and drag.

I started an artic job at the end of last week, the company seem ok to let me loose on them, but have been sending me out with other drivers for a few days until they feel happy I can do it I guess. I definately have no complaints, it’s nice someone is willing to give me a shot. So there are companies out there who will do it, just be honest with them about your experience.

So far i’ve found the wagon and drag easier to reverse (probably because i’ve had more time with one of those), the drag comes round much quicker than a 3 axle artic trailer, so i’m having problems at the moment trying to work out how far away I need to be to get the artic trailer round in time. Mostly at the moment, i’m getting it to turn far too late and missing the target.

Visibility of the trailer was better on the drawbar as well.

Drags are less hassle going forwards as well, because they follow the truck much tighter, once the truck itself is clear of a corner you don’t really need to worry about the trailer so much, they don’t need much more space than you have already allowed.

The biggest problem with drags is turning them round in a yard that has only been designed with artics in mind. There is often not enough room to get them round, so you end up reversing out. This gave me the most headaches at the time.

You experience puts you ahead of other people with no artic experience, so you should be ok. Just be humble when it comes to taking advice from people, and be honest with the company about your ability.

mozzer44:
Hi there few questions hope you could help me out, I passed my test 2 years ago and have been driving a DAF 85 CF Wagon and drag and also passed my test in a wagon and drag, Although i have my class 1 Would most companies give training or be prepared to give time to get used to an artic? :question: :question: my dads been in the game for years so know the basics with an artic! and also another which is the easier to drive of the two? :confused: lol sorry just a bit inquisitive! hope you can help us out! ideally id like to do the rock and roll side of transport sent a form off to fly by night nt heard anything back tho!does anyone have any other suggestions!
many thanks guys! :smiley: :smiley: :sunglasses:

Wild Goose’s comments seem to say it all. When I started out on Class 1, I was on artics. But since I became a full time driver I’ve been on W&D. There are merits to both and snags as well. If you go for an artic job I should think they’d be very unwise to send you straight out, just make sure that they know how you stand experience wise.

:bulb: It could be worth going down to your local driving school and get them to take you out for 1/2 day in an Artic just to get the feel of it :bulb: