Wagon+drag or artic for training..what u prefare

Hi,
Just curious what ppl used for their Class 1 training as I’m hoping to FINALLY move to sorting out my Class 1 in the next month or so…
Basically I have both options available to me as far as training is concerned…
Just wondering what sort of issues that will arise of i choose the wagon+drag option then getting some work in a full artic, eg… things like hookups etc… are they any different?
Just genrally looking some advice on either and future implications if i choose 1 over the other…
I’m thinking of maybe booking an hour or so in either situation and maybe see for myself which 1 i feel more cormfortable in and take it from there…

I think it is one of these Brussels directives that has backfired, An artic is not a drawbar and a drawbar certainly handles differently to an articulated truck.

A beginner can now train in an eight tonne gross truck with a trailer and then be let loose on a 44 tonne artic.

OK when I was a lad you could go direct from a car licence to an artic but the chance of getting a job with no experience has always been there.

I think it should be back at the old 3 classes, of rigid, multi wheeler and artic. If you want to drive an artic from a wagon and drag, it should be an A frame drawbar that you trained on.

Harsh, maybe, but that is the way it was

If you are going for Class one find a company with the biggest artic curtainsider and learn on that.Just look around when you are out and about that is what there are most of so that is what you will most likely to be driving. I learnt on a W&D which is slightly different to drive than an artic and haven’t driven one since.
No one learns on a A frame though I would love to have a go in one. Working on the principle that if you can reverse one of them, then you can probably reverse anything.
Artics hook up differently to a W&D, not a world of difference but they are diferent.
Would advise not to go for the easy option, ie a small W&D flat bed as you will really struggle when you have to go out in an artic on your own.

I learn’t in an artic with a 40’ trailer which I found just right - quite hard to get used to, but at least I had an instructor sitting next to me in case I got into bother.

Have done wagon & drag since with no problems - reversing is a bit more awkward, but that is about it … So unless you have a job already sorted that will be on W&D then I would train in am artic !!

G

or take your test in the easiest option.

Then maybe book up a day once you’ve passed driving the more difficult ones. Then there will be less pressure, and you’ll be more likely to learn.

Just another suggestion.

dennisw1:
or take your test in the easiest option.

Then maybe book up a day once you’ve passed driving the more difficult ones.

Good idea. The main advantage of the easiest option (normally considered to be the W+D) is that you stand a greater chance of a first time pass, the sole purpose of driving tuition being to pass the test with the minimum amount of hassle / expense.

Very interesting reading…

I’m still verging on going with sterling, doing class 1&2 & CPC for £1148.00 :laughing:

A couple of Trucknet user have passed both 1st time with Sterling but wouldn’t recommend them to anyone because their basic spec vehicles leave them unprepared for ‘big trucks’. :open_mouth:

If it’s easier to pass with Sterling… then I could still spend a day with a ‘proper’ school to get exerience with big trucks and STILL save a few hundred quid? :stuck_out_tongue:

You probably only ‘really’ learn after you’ve passed your test anyway… so why not take the easiest route…?

Totally confused myself now! :confused:

why complicate the learning process with too many gears and trailers you cant see behind…go for the easy option…then learn what you need when you have the ticket …babies dont go from crawling to running…and runners build up to the marathon

hmmmm intresting idea…
mite look into that option…
I’m not looking a easy way out so to speak, its more of whats available to me and cost…
I just dont wanna learn with a w+d then get some artic work with a 45ft trailer and end up making mistakes and causing damage or worse hitting some1 else…
so it’s an option learn with a w+d and maybe a couple of days out with a trailer to familarise myself with the difference…
It’s not like as soon as i pass i’m gonna be offered work anyway, i dont expect that…Spoke to a few agencies and their feedback wasn’t very optimistic so to speak, It’s hard enough getting the occasional day in a Class 2 lorry as it is!..

i learned in W & D then before going to agencies, booked a day out in an artic with a training company