Hygiene!

Bit of a rant i guess…

Walked into the collections office at a customers premises this afternoon, rather large scruffy looking chap walked out as I was going in, wheezing with each step, slight whiff on the way by… then it hit me. The stench. The collections office was absolutely STINKING of B.O, which im 99% certain was from this chap - given there were no other vehicles in at the time - who didn’t look like he’d had a wash, or a change of clothes all week long.

Was driving for one of these £7.50/hour, 60 hrs/week outfits that give you a top spec motor as a brucie bonus!

It’s not the first time I’ve noticed this… but seriously, how difficult is it to have a wash every day? Personally, I park up somewhere with facilities for a shower/wash in the morning before I set-off, or if circumstances dictate that I’m in an industrial estate or whatever, there’s the emergency baby wipes for a festival wash in the morning, and grab a shower at an MSA / truckstop along the way. Starting a bit earlier to do this is also an option, BTW!

Perhaps it’s because these outfits run you so ragged there’s no time for a wash? Absolute bare minimum rests, so no time to start early to find somewhere… and of course they refuse to pay for parking so you’re stuck in a lay-by every night?

But really… surely these people MUST notice that they absolutely ■■■■■■■ stink?

Who’s fault is it? The driver, or the outfit he’s working for?

Maybe i’m just a weirdo in that I like to keep clean, and wouldn’t dream of sitting around for a week absolutely stinking. Who knows!

Only dirty buggers get a wash!

one of my pet hates are the buses at the tunnel, although only on there for a short amount of time the stench can be overpowering, my wife did not believe me until I took her to Sicily via the tunnel, and I must admit it was a humdinger that day.

It’s the drivers fault, when I was tramping I always kept a pack of baby wipes in case I ended up in a Lay-by.

I can’t stand stinky bass turds.

You are right, there does seem to be smelly drivers that stink like a badgers armpit .
Or other wardrobe failures such as mixing up casual clothing with the uniform their employers gave them .
Such as broken or worn out trainers with jogging trousers then uniform above the waist .
Boots with missing laces or not done up .
Hiviz jackets and vests that are black with oil, grease or diesel .
Scruffy hair ,ear rings that resembles a pirate .
Rigger boots when no need for them .
Food and drink stains down the shirt or jumper, I know what you ate last month, runny eggs .
Harry Monks profile picture is what some drivers look like.
In real life Harry looks like a debonair movie star .

One of the reasons why I won’t do tramping is I like to get home at the end of the day and have a shower etc… how degrading it must feel having to clean yourself with baby wipes? Hang on I’m getting an image (shudder). Back the OP yes it’s the drivers fault if it wer me I’d always find time for a shower… I suppose he could always say “well I am a tramper”

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Proper tramper here.
Baby wipes tonight,then shower in the yard first thing.
Nowt wrong with a bit of honest grime.

toby1234abc:
Such as broken or worn out trainers with jogging trousers then uniform above the waist .

Aside from the worn out trainers, wearing joggers and company polo/jumper is far more comfortable to drive in than jeans/work trousers.
Joggers and proper work boots though :open_mouth: :laughing:

commonrail:

Provided you don’t stink like a caveman’s rusty sherrif’s badge.

Sorry mate me and the mrs have split and she’s took the washing machine. Won’t happen again pal.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

James the cat:

commonrail:

Provided you don’t stink like a caveman’s rusty sherrif’s badge.

Exactly
Stinky folk will stink whatever they do.
Tramper,day man or dole

Is it these guys WAGS that you see down the supermarket in dressing gowns and curlers then? :unamused:

I go through hi viz jackets at an alarming rate, nature of my job tangling around oily flt’s trying to get them started to get on the wagon or faffing about with ancillarys.
But ponging is a big no no, I keep these festival mit type wipes for emergency sweaty circumstances, a quick wipe and cool down smelling fresh and next job.
90% of the time you can get a shower with 24th hours somewhere.

The day someone comment on my body odour is the day I’ll have a shower, no one has said owt for four years now … :slight_smile:

Unfortunately the industry is full of people who have fallen into it as a last resort type thing and have no pride in the job or their appearance. The amount of drivers I see that look like tramps is frightening. Feel sorry for the guys that have to use the wagon after them!

toby1234abc:
You are right, there does seem to be smelly drivers that stink like a badgers armpit .
Or other wardrobe failures such as mixing up casual clothing with the uniform their employers gave them .
Food and drink stains down the shirt or jumper, I know what you ate last month, runny eggs .

^
Plenty of this about and absolutely no need for it, makes you wonder how they live at home.
Scruffy hair, unshaved for a week, muddy rigger boots, oil stained hi viz,food down the shirt and stinking like a whores pants is a classic one seen all too often. Doesnt matter whether someone does days or distance, the dirty ones are in all jobs…

AndrewG:

toby1234abc:

^
Plenty of this about and absolutely no need for it, makes you wonder how they live at home.
Scruffy hair, unshaved for a week, muddy rigger boots, oil stained hi viz,food down the shirt and stinking like a whores pants is a classic one seen all too often. Doesnt matter whether someone does days or distance, the dirty ones are in all jobs…

I used to work with a lad just like that nicest lad you could ever meet but exactly as you describe I had to take something round to his house one day and I was dreading it anyway when I got there it was a large new build and I kid you not it was like a palace inside and out his missus was absolutely stunning as well :open_mouth:

Was at a customers premises tonight and this guy walked past me with his nose in the air looking at me like I was dirt! :open_mouth:
He didn’t look like a real driver to me, looked too clean, and to be honest a bit stuck up… :wink:

raymundo:
The day someone comment on my body odour is the day I’ll have a shower, no one has said owt for four years now … :slight_smile:

+1
We all tread different paths in life, maybe Mr Smelly has had some rough times recently and had let himself go a bit.
Maybe he just needed someone to listen to his stories, perhaps a shoulder to cry on or a hug or even a friendly smile might help.

In my case the moment I can smell myself means it’s time for a shower and I smell myself a lot… :wink: