Young Drivers

Hi guys,

I was wondering what the situation is with young drivers (under 25’s) in the UK?
I’m 23 and had my C+E since 2009 and I have been in France since then and worked full time as a class 1 driver for a European haulage firm. So for the last 4 years I’ve been transporting goods all over Europe including ADR work, car transporting and low loader work. I have just moved back to the UK (London) and I’m looking for work as a class 1 driver. I’m still under 25 but have some really good experience. What do you think are my chances?

Lewis.

lewis1991:
Hi guys,

I was wondering what the situation is with young drivers (under 25’s) in the UK?
I’m 23 and had my C+E since 2009 and I have been in France since then and worked full time as a class 1 driver for a European haulage firm. So for the last 4 years I’ve been transporting goods all over Europe including ADR work, car transporting and low loader work. I have just moved back to the UK (London) and I’m looking for work as a class 1 driver. I’m still under 25 but have some really good experience. What do you think are my chances?

Lewis.

I would naff off back over the water possibly the big water either south to Oz or the other direction as this country’s FUBAR’d

Good lad, you’ve plenty experience and someone will snap your hand off! :laughing: can you speak the lingo? :smiley: even better if you can as once you’re back over the water viola :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

I don’t think you will have any problem finding work with that experience. I’m 25 and I’m finding it difficult to find work because I’ve only got about 4 months experience.

Fatboy slimslow:
Good lad, you’ve plenty experience and someone will snap your hand off! :laughing: can you speak the lingo? :smiley: even better if you can as once you’re back over the water viola :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

Yep I speak and write French fluently and know my way around France really well. I was tramping in 2012 and only spent about 2 weeks at home in that year lol.

What in earth made you come back to the UK?

Had an interview with Menzies distribution in Maidstone today, fingers crossed I get the job. Anyone else ever worked for them?

lewis1991:
Had an interview with Menzies distribution in Maidstone today, fingers crossed I get the job. Anyone else ever worked for them?

Oh jeezus… :laughing:

Tipper Tom:
What in earth made you come back to the UK?

For once I agree with Tom, what the hell :open_mouth:

Another baffled bugger here, why would anyone in your position want to come here, the place is bollooxed.

Cyprus part two?

Have to agree with tom and wayne, this country has far too many people living in it and france is twice the size,you are young and very adventeurous and you can speak french i would stick it out there for a while longer mate i honestley would and wish you the best of luck anyway !!

DUFFMAN I’m not sure it’s just the quantity of people it’s more the quality of them, or the lack of it

Canada is looking for class 1 drivers and you speak french, quids in imo.

I left France because I couldn’t afford the cpc, it costs over 2 grand there and there is no work for drivers there, I applied for jobs for 3 months without an interview from any of them. I love France and I would happily spend the rest of my life there but just no work. My girlfriend wants to live in Canada so that’s an option but for the moment I need to earn some money and I’ve been back in the UK for a week and had an interview and it looks promising so fingers crossed. I’m only just turned 23 and been behind the wheel since I passed my C+E when I was 18 so I’m not doing too bad.

it would seem you went about it the right way mate, many a noob could only wish for your kind of start into the industry. Good luck with the interview.

Well I got offered the job this morning, start on Tuesday! Only been back in the country for a week so this should give hope to all the other young drivers out there.

Nice one mate. :slight_smile: