Job prospects

Hey all, I’ve just joined the forums and I am starting my class 2 training soon, I plan on doing my class 1 after that. So just wondering what’s the actual chance of me getting a job? I’m 19 so that will probably go against me but what do you all think my chances are?
Thanks for your help and I look forward to chatting with you all throughout my driving career!

almost-truckin’:
Hey all, I’ve just joined the forums and I am starting my class 2 training soon, I plan on doing my class 1 after that. So just wondering what’s the actual chance of me getting a job? I’m 19 so that will probably go against me but what do you all think my chances are?
Thanks for your help and I look forward to chatting with you all throughout my driving career!

Welcome. Before I saw your age I would’ve said your chances were low, but as a 19yr old your chances are zero to, er, slightly above zero. Sorry. Hauliers are going pop on a weekly basis with 1000s of drivers already on the dole and desperately searching so a newbie has no chance. Best sticking with your current job whatever that is.

almost-truckin’:

Welcome to the forum, what is your reason for doing your C licence? Do you know anyone in the haulage industry, do you know anyone who may give you a job?

Please do not take this personally, but there are dozens and dozens of posts like this, disgruntled drivers who have spent £1000’s getting their licence and find they cannot get a job or that the job is unsuitable, some make it, several do not.

Although you can drive a C+E at the age of eighteen, there are many employers and drivers who wonder if you have the aptitude and patience to drive at 40mph, plus the fact there are several thousand 30 something’s with map reading and driving experience in front of you.

Sorry if this is not what you were hoping to hear.

Do you know any good jokes?

Hi and welcome to the forums, have a good look through these forums as you can learn so much from them as its full of advice thats been asked previously. I think your age will go against you in a way but it wont be immpossible to get a start, say for example if you hold a class C+E and you are prepared to start of in a transit or 7.5t just to build up a reputation and gain experience it looks good on the cv and the agency might move you onto bigger stuff after a while.

Have you booked your training yet?

There is also good advice on here about training companies, never go through a broker though and always deal direct with training company itself.

Let us know how it all goes

Whilst typing this theres been some other post from respective members, its a bit negative but its also true, dont let them put you off, there is a shortage of jobs out there but look at it as an investment for your future as age is on your side for that :wink:

rubberduckY1234:
Hi and welcome to the forums, have a good look through these forums as you can learn so much from them as its full of advice thats been asked previously. I think your age will go against you in a way but it wont be immpossible to get a start, say for example if you hold a class C+E and you are prepared to start of in a transit or 7.5t just to build up a reputation and gain experience it looks good on the cv and the agency might move you onto bigger stuff after a while.

Have you booked your training yet?

There is also good advice on here about training companies, never go through a broker though and always deal direct with training company itself.

Let us know how it all goes

Whilst typing this theres been some other post from respective members, its a bit negative but its also true, dont let them put you off, there is a shortage of jobs out there but look at it as an investment for your future as age is on your side for that :wink:

Spoken like a true LGVTrainer. :sunglasses:

Negative, but true :unamused:

Rob K, you are spot on again, i think i might just be an LGV trainer one day especially if i talk like 1 :sunglasses:

rubberduckY1234:
i think i might just be an LGV trainer one day especially if i talk like 1 :sunglasses:

Fine as long as you don’t charge drivers a pound an hour to go to work :wink:

I have done loads of research so I’m not surprised by those replies but thanks for your honesty :slight_smile:. I’m actually on a paramedic course at uni just about to finish my first year and its fun but just isn’t my cup of tea. Since I got my car license and driving up and down the motorway I look at those big boys (and girls) and knew its what I wanted to do. I’m on a volunteer fire crew and the first time I got into one of our tenders I fell in love, you know how it is boys and toys. I went to Red Rose Training today and booked my medical but not any training yet. I know it all looks bleak but I want to do it so I’ll do it. Thanks for all the replies :slight_smile:

tachograph:

rubberduckY1234:
i think i might just be an LGV trainer one day especially if i talk like 1 :sunglasses:

Fine as long as you don’t charge drivers a pound an hour to go to work :wink:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: