Would like some honest advice

Hi guys, I’ve a few questions I’d like answering if at all possible.

So basically, I’ve just passed my cat C licence, and decided whilst the funds where available I’d go straight onto my C+E which is now all paid for and I’ll be starting Wednesday.

I’m just slightly concerned after forking out all this cash for my future, that I’m probably not going to get a job straight away due to my age. I’m only 21 and most jobs I’ve looked at require mid 20’s and atleast 2 year of XP.
I’m honestly a little disheartened as this is a job I’ve always been set on doing.

So what are my chances of getting work? Will Agency’s even take me due to my age if I have to go down that route?
I’ve also taken a BTEC course In delivering goods by road, just to even give me a slightly better chance.

Whats your honest opinions guys?

Thanks alot.

Dont feel disheartened at all. You have a long career ahead of you and you have already decided which path to take which is the hardest part. Yes some places wont take you on due to clauses in their insurance but some places will, you just need to keep trying companies and agencies. There’s so many options out there and drivers move on to other jobs frequently so it might only take a company desperate for a driver to take you on.
If I were you I’d get your class 1 licence while your young and the funds are there then maybe gain some experience driving class 2s.
Good luck.

Nate187:
Dont feel disheartened at all. You have a long career ahead of you and you have already decided which path to take which is the hardest part. Yes some places wont take you on due to clauses in their insurance but some places will, you just need to keep trying companies and agencies. There’s so many options out there and drivers move on to other jobs frequently so it might only take a company desperate for a driver to take you on.
If I were you I’d get your class 1 licence while your young and the funds are there then maybe gain some experience driving class 2s.
Good luck.

That was the plan to be honest Nate, I wanted the class 1 whilst I could afford to do it, but I feel far more comfortable driving class 2’s right now.
I’m just going to hammer the CV’s out and probably take whatever I can get just so I can get some valid experience down.

That’s very wise. I only passed my c+e a couple of weeks ago and the first agency i contacted got all my details and said they’d ring me back in abit, they never rang. After contacting mates in the industry im hoping I’ll be offered a job next week if the assessment goes well. So if you know of anyone who can point you towards places looking to recruit or even better if someone can recommend you it helps.

My driving instructor gave me some leads and I now have two weeks under my belt class one as a new pass. Keep looking and good luck!

:smiley: :smiley:

Congrats on passing mate, as for getting a shout with work, if it was me I’d get some class 2 first then progress upto class 1, easier said than done I know but as silly season is just around the corner you should get something, bang out the cv’s with a follow up call to the agency/firm your applying to, don’t be a pest but keep trying, take your time and if in doubt, ask, no shame in that, better to take a minute longer to manoeuvre than spend an age filling out the paper work!! Last bit of advice is never turn down an interview even if you’ve got something sorted

You’ve as much chance as the next guy just go for it but don’t think for one min that your God’s gift to trucking because you hold a C&E licence. You’ll still need to be flexible in what you drive.

best thing is to get in your car & go out looking out never know but keep options open take what is offered more for the experience talk to the employers them selves instead of sitting at home emailing your CV as they prob won’t look

I didn’t do much Cat C work before I was tramping on CE but then I am a bit older than you :laughing: :laughing:

But as nick says just because you have your CE you are not god’s gift as there are quite a few other that have as well

Keep all your options open atm

Cheers guys, you’ve made me feel a hell of alot better about the situation.
As for gods gift, I mean look at me im magnificent! hahaha.
On a serious note though C+E, C whatever it is you’re driving, it needs to be done with care.In no way am I passing the licence and jumping straight in one and just getting on with it.
I want to build myself up get some experience with class 2’s as I feel abit more comfortable with them.

Unorthodox:
Cheers guys,

:unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

Take notice of your mother boy :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

in my understanding a lot of places wont take under 25s because they cost an extra £500 or so on the insurance. if you really want to get your foot in the door tell them to knock the extra cost of insuring you off your wage until theyre not paying the added premium. so 4 years in your case. it shows willing helps them out and gets you a foot in the door. plus chances are like me youll be getting a ■■■■ load more money driving than your last job annually so you wont notice the missing 500 cos you never had it

chainmailguy:
in my understanding a lot of places wont take under 25s because they cost an extra £500 or so on the insurance. if you really want to get your foot in the door tell them to knock the extra cost of insuring you off your wage until theyre not paying the added premium. so 4 years in your case. it shows willing helps them out and gets you a foot in the door. plus chances are like me youll be getting a [zb] load more money driving than your last job annually so you wont notice the missing 500 cos you never had it

I’d say that it’s only ‘some’ firms that limited insurance excluding under 25’s, just as some firms won’t employ drivers with less than 2 years experience… While this can be annoying and get in the way of your dream job, it’s only temporary and there are, due to demand, plenty of other opportunities out there at the moment. From my experience of the 2 year thing, it’s mainly the smaller firms that have these limitations. And a mate of mine who’s only 21 is driving artic’s on a DHL contract with less than 2 years experience. So OP, don’t view you’re age as a blocker, just a stumbling block that with time will disappear anyway!

Best of luck! :smiley:

A couple of thoughts occur to me…

1. You have to kiss a few frogs before you find your prince. Agencies are mostly frogs - especially for young and/or inexperienced drivers - but if you speak to enough of them you’re more likely to find one that has a contract with a firm who’ll take you on. There aren’t many, so you may need to try several places, but the opportunities do exist out there.

2. What you do in the present helps to control your future. Get your C+E licence now, and you’ve got it for life (mostly). Even if you can’t find work immediately you’ll soon grow old and your options will start to open up. It won’t be wasted.

Good luck! :slight_smile: