Under 25 - problems?

just curious as to how many lads on here struggle to find work due to being under 25 years old, i keep checking local jobs in my area and its never been a problem till recently for me, and might not even be a problem if im offered the job (awaiting a reply).

regards ian

I don’t have any problems getting agency work, but permanent work is another matter.

Only class one offers I’ve had are DHL Tradeteam, which I did on agency and it nearly killed me, and Fergusons Transport, who are having problems keeping drivers.

I’m 22 by the way.

I’m 43, inexperienced and I’m finding it hard to get work.

cheers guys sounds as if youve had some work tho chiz no matter how litthle, by this i mean if they`l insure you for day then age working full time shouldnt be a problem if you find it . have you been round local firms asking yet

dinosteveus1

is it really as hard as your saying to get a start? , could i ask how long you have passed and how much work you get?

bigcheese:
dinosteveus1

is it really as hard as your saying to get a start? , could i ask how long you have passed and how much work you get?

Hi Ian,
I passed 5 weeks ago.
I have NO experience driving anything bigger than a car so that goes against me, also living in this dump with the UK’s biggest Port doesn’t help. Everybody wants this elusive 2 years experience.
I got a few days with Driver Hire driving a 7.5t van, ummmmm that was good but didn’t last long enough. Other than that nothing.
I’ve just come back from visiting my Mum who’s just had a Stroke and there are loads of ‘C’ jobs in her local paper but not many for ‘C&E’ . That’s the Wakefield Express BTW.

I was even prepared to work for ‘Robbies Dad’ (see Vacancy section) in Belgium, I was quite excited with this until I found out you only get one weekend a month in the UK with your Family. :angry: :angry: :angry:

I must admit thought that I could ‘look’ a lot harder but with my Mum being ill I wanted to wait until I knew what’s going to happen with her. This would not have stopped me accepting a job if one came by of course.

dinosteveus1:

bigcheese:
dinosteveus1

Hi Ian,
I passed 5 weeks ago.
I have NO experience driving anything bigger than a car so that goes against me, also living in this dump with the UK’s biggest Port doesn’t help. Everybody wants this elusive 2 years experience.
I got a few days with Driver Hire driving a 7.5t van, ummmmm that was good but didn’t last long enough. Other than that nothing.
I’ve just come back from visiting my Mum who’s just had a Stroke and there are loads of ‘C’ jobs in her local paper but not many for ‘C&E’ . That’s the Wakefield Express BTW.

I was even prepared to work for ‘Robbies Dad’ (see Vacancy section) in Belgium, I was quite excited with this until I found out you only get one weekend a month in the UK with your Family. :angry: :angry: :angry:

I must admit thought that I could ‘look’ a lot harder but with my Mum being ill I wanted to wait until I knew what’s going to happen with her. This would not have stopped me accepting a job if one came by of course.

Just spotted your other post in the vacancy forum…

dinosteveus1:
Hi,

I passed my C Class ( ‘rigid’) driving test about 18 months ago. I have NO experience other than driving a 7.5t box van.

I then went on a C&E training course which I passed and became the proud owner of a C&E class entitlement.
Anyway, that was just about a month ago and I still cannot get any driving work I don’t have ‘the experience’ needed. How do I get this elusive experience if nobody will give me a break.
I would love a job a job driving, long hauls, nights or anything as long as it’s driving.
I have no experience of commercial driving but I’m willing to learn and I’ll do whatever needs doing. I’m so keen, please just give me a chance, somebody.
BTW, I also have a HIAB Certificate and a Digi Card.

Can somebody take me under their ‘wing’ and show me how to be a good driver?
Or does anybody need a ‘Drivers Mate’ or something similar (as long as I can do some driving) so I could learn the ropes. I’d like a job to go with that if possible please. Money is not an issue, obviously I cannot afford to work for free or peanuts but the experience is more important than the money.

I live near Ipswich.

Regards,
Steve.

PS,
I want this, give me a chance and you will not regret it.

I can be contacted via pm or email:-
dinosteveus1@googlemail.com

i would have thought they`d be plenty container work over your area, wakefield is literally two mins away from me ( i live near the national coal mining museum ) and there are plenty class 1 and 2 here not many ask for exp or over 25 in the ads although it might be diffrent case if i actually applied but maybe not too, (im holding out for a transfer at moment ) so if i get knocked back ill start appling for other jobs.

sorry to hear about your old lass hope she picks up well soon
regards ian

bigcheese:
i would have thought they`d be plenty container work over your area, wakefield is literally two mins away from me ( i live near the national coal mining museum ) and there are plenty class 1 and 2 here not many ask for exp or over 25 in the ads although it might be diffrent case if i actually applied but maybe not too, (im holding out for a transfer at moment ) so if i get knocked back ill start appling for other jobs.

sorry to hear about your old lass hope she picks up well soon
regards ian

Cheers. I cannot believe how laid back Pinderfields Hospital is compared to Leeds G. I.
I went to the Museum a couple of years ago, very interesting.

There is plenty of container work but they all require experience. I don’t have any.

Good luck with the transfer. :smiley:

This is the job I was really up for:-
trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=35781

I cannot C&P it, only a Mod can so you will need to click on the link. :blush:

aint the agencies giving any work your way not even a bit of weekend work just to get experience

Iam 26 just passed class1 last friday got 4years shunting experience with class 1 and 3years adr on class 2 no-one will touch us must have 2years experience on class 1.

hi k.adams

surely your joking dude!

I must ask. Have any of you younger ones got points on your licence?

Although most companies tolerate 6 points for speeding, some will take a dim view.

Not joking mate the only company around here who offered me a start is Trailer Express half their workforce is Polish. I cant do nights away until November the agency Iam sign up with Ive had 3 shifts since april. I ring over 15 agencys through out the North West and only 2 have said come in.

no mate aint any points at all full clean licence for last six years+. jesus i cant believe its so hard to get a start not even threw a agency. as days and years go by and no company touching new drivers something has got to give soon. this driver cpc next sept is going to lower the driving minimum age to 18 thatl be useless when they wont even touch under 25s in the current 21 years old law.

personally i cant really moan as i aint applied for any jobs yet as i still have all my eggs in one basket hoping for a transfer, i hope i dont find it this hard if i have to look elsewhere to go driving.

I got no points in last 3 years clean licence. I just cant understand insurance companies.

chippy:
I must ask. Have any of you younger ones got points on your licence?

Although most companies tolerate 6 points for speeding, some will take a dim view.

ive got 3 poitns on my licence, though they are spent, got them over 3 and a half years ago so not long till its fully clean.

A way round all this could be.

The agency or potencial employer/s should have someone in place to assess the driving of the less than 2 years experience drivers.

I know Tesco and other large outfits do this. Is it all down to insurance or lack of experience?

This 2 year thing has been doing the rounds for years, but was not quite so bad as it is now.

Someone who has bags of experience may be in themselves more of a risk than a newly qualified driver. Bad habits etc.

The new driver may well have a more modern system of driving in place and is fully up to date with new rules, road signs, block changing and all the rest of it than one who passed 20 years ago.

It seems unjust that people have paid out loads of dosh to train to be a professional driver, pass a multitude of tests only to be told you can’t do the job.

too right pal, its a insurance thing tho, i was tols the under 25 thing wouldnt be a problem as companies insure all there fleet for any driver with appropriate licence regardless of anthing else, ill soon find out if this is true when work get back to me

Hi guys i am 21 and i recently passed my class1 about 8 weeks ago . About 7 weeks ago i got a job driving class 1 a 55 plate scania doing tramping even been to ireland this week . I have 6 points on my licence as well . Look i know i have been lucky but i just went in there with the right attitude and they deiceded to give me a shot . Just keep pestering you will get there in the end .