Yesterday

I had a ride round Dewsbury in a very big Czech outfit, driver was lost, I had the time, so I tried to help.
It was a big Scania and not having been in a big motor for a few years now, I didn’t like it. It’s not lorry driving as I used to know it, automatic gearbox, cab rolling about on it’s mountings, armchair seats. No, I wasn’t impressed.
Anyway, I got the fella to his drop and he was grateful. Only a little place round a back street and then it all came back. The t ossers weren’t busy, stood outside smoking actually, I had a word, told them the situation, “Aye, we MIGHT get to him tomorrow, he’ll have to park up”. This was only lunchtime. :imp:

grumpy old man:
I had a ride round Dewsbury in a very big Czech outfit, driver was lost, I had the time, so I tried to help.
It was a big Scania and not having been in a big motor for a few years now, I didn’t like it. It’s not lorry driving as I used to know it, automatic gearbox, cab rolling about on it’s mountings, armchair seats. No, I wasn’t impressed.
Anyway, I got the fella to his drop and he was grateful. Only a little place round a back street and then it all came back. The t ossers weren’t busy, stood outside smoking actually, I had a word, told them the situation, “Aye, we MIGHT get to him tomorrow, he’ll have to park up”. This was only lunchtime. :imp:

Hi Brian,aye sounds about right,bloody tossers,nowt’s changed there then. :angry:
Take the driver out for some Tetleys tonight,that’ll cheer him up. :laughing:

You couldn’t have put it better, bloody tossers, its lazy articles like them that has put this country where it is now, & why our Industrial Heritage is now down the crapper! I found this when I worked for the Dutch (& we’re supposed to get on with them!), the times I pulled in somewhere to tip over here, sometimes I would go to the window/office & I wouldn’t speak other than say hello & just hand them my notes, there may be no other wagon in the yard or they are sat there having a brew/smoke, but I would be told to go & park in the corner & wait, I would just nod & go put the kettle on, get the chair out & maybe make something to eat, its amazing how once they realised you didn’t give a toss but were quite happy to wait that it appeared that there was no fun in it for them, & often I would be tipped & on my way in 20 mins! I have also had the “bloody foreigner, tell him to park up, he can f-----g wait” comment, from some brain-dead moron sat with his feet-up drooling over Page 3. its great to see there face when you ask them if it will be any quicker as I am English! Some people need to get out more I think!

adr:
You couldn’t have put it better, bloody tossers, its lazy articles like them that has put this country where it is now, & why our Industrial Heritage is now down the crapper! I found this when I worked for the Dutch (& we’re supposed to get on with them!), the times I pulled in somewhere to tip over here, sometimes I would go to the window/office & I wouldn’t speak other than say hello & just hand them my notes, there may be no other wagon in the yard or they are sat there having a brew/smoke, but I would be told to go & park in the corner & wait, I would just nod & go put the kettle on, get the chair out & maybe make something to eat, its amazing how once they realised you didn’t give a toss but were quite happy to wait that it appeared that there was no fun in it for them, & often I would be tipped & on my way in 20 mins! I have also had the “bloody foreigner, tell him to park up, he can f-----g wait” comment, from some brain-dead moron sat with his feet-up drooling over Page 3. its great to see there face when you ask them if it will be any quicker as I am English! Some people need to get out more I think!

Some of these places that have ridiculous delivery times or we don’t accept loads on a Friday. WTF is that about.

I got to a place in Stoke and they finish tipping at 11am on Fridays because they knock off at 3pm. I had one pallet, not worth arguing and it would give me a late start on Monday, unless they changed my job, which they did. On the other hand I have pulled up outside to be asked what I have on and been tipped immediately even though it was booked for the next day.

I once had the same problem with an outfit in Essex, I had loaded catering packs of canned chicken from Prodavka in Yugo,

I drove day and night to try to tip on Friday around noon. I went in the office and was told they would not touch it until Monday. :imp:

I called my boss to tell him the situation and he told me to go into the office and ask them what month they would like it delivered, their response was “if that is your attitude we don’t want it and you won’t get paid for the load” :laughing:

I told them not to talk silly as I would open the side of the tilt and sell it at the Friday market and get my money.

After lots of adjectives, threats and negotiations I got tipped, however after tipping they said that they were expecting two free sample cases, I told them to do the count and sign the CMR as I knew nothing about any samples.

The two free sample packs got distributed between my neighbors. :laughing: :laughing:

Hiya…the usual story ASAP rip your gut out and arrive at 3.30 with 1 pallet, too late drive come back at
8am…OK no problem …so its 8am next day and heaving it down, the yards flooded…I say its time lads
i bet you wished you’d done it last night when it was dry…next time i delivered there i said tonight or in the
morning when it peeeeing down…with a large smile
John

3300John:
Hiya…the usual story ASAP rip your gut out and arrive at 3.30 with 1 pallet, too late drive come back at
8am…OK no problem …so its 8am next day and heaving it down, the yards flooded…I say its time lads
i bet you wished you’d done it last night when it was dry…next time i delivered there i said tonight or in the
John

Many many years ago we had a paper drop at Uxbridge (IIRC) and there was always some of the reels on the load that were required urgently so we used to put them on the backend ,to come off first.But what used to happen was they’ed whip off the ones they were waiting for then keep the motor standing for a few hours before the rest of the reels were unloaded.This happened two or three times and they didn’t give a toss once they’ed got the urgent stuff off.So we said,sod this for a game of cowboys,and we persuaded our customer to let us put the urgent stuff on the front end and load out with the none urgent gear! They were mad as ******** the next time we turned up!! but they had to fully unload to get at the urgent reels! We told them that as long as we got tipped in reasonable time from now on we would happily put the urgent reels on last!! We always did OK after that!! Cheers Dennis.

Bewick:

3300John:
John

Many many years ago we had a paper drop at Uxbridge (IIRC) and there was always some of the reels on the load that were required urgently so we used to put them on the backend ,to come off first.But what used to happen was they’ed whip off the ones they were waiting for then keep the motor standing for a few hours before the rest of the reels were unloaded.This happened two or three times and they didn’t give a toss once they’ed got the urgent stuff off.So we said,sod this for a game of cowboys,and we persuaded our customer to let us put the urgent stuff on the front end and load out with the none urgent gear! They were mad as ******** the next time we turned up!! but they had to fully unload to get at the urgent reels! We told them that as long as we got tipped in reasonable time from now on we would happily put the urgent reels on last!! We always did OK after that!! Cheers Dennis.

Hiya Dennis…was that sanderson’s the wallpaper firm in Uxbridge?? i used to go there myself and found they was not very helpful
John

3300John:

Bewick:

3300John:
John

Hiya Dennis…was that sanderson’s the wallpaper firm in Uxbridge?? i used to go there myself and found they was not very helpful
John

No that wasn’t the name John,we did a few drops around that side of London and for the life of me I can’t re-call the name,these deliveries phased out in the early 70’s as the paper mill moved into other types of paper production. cheers Dennis.

Hey Grumpy,

Living in Dewsbury, fine ale drinker, West Yorkshire Licensed Refreshment Rooms on the station, probably the best boozer in the UK, and I visited 900 of the finest in 3 years travelling the canals recently.
Get a grip man. Have a pint for me next time you’re in there, (if you’re not barred that is)
I’m in France the last 8 months and missing a good Oakham or Saltaire or such like.
Anyway just remember that ‘no good deed goes unpunished’ so you will get your comeuppance for helping the Cheko out.
That should cheer you up a bit

take care

I had ten tons of angle iron to deliver to Baird TV at Bradford. The security man was a real pain in the bum there, After he examined my notes he told me where the iron was to be left (It was a fairly regular drop and we always crow barred it off ) But this time the Managing Directors car was parked there. Being somewhat of a Bolshie so and so the angle iron got tipped where the security man told and blocked in the Roller. The next time I went there the security guard went bolistic at me but I just laughed and told him I just did what he told me to do. Victor Meldrew eat your heart out.

Went to Orbro Cash & Carry in Salford early 70s.only about 29 boxes for them.delivery door was just shutter in wall.About 6 lorries in queue. They had a one lorry in one lorry out system.Waited about 20mins till shuter went up told chap what I,d got and would he please check the paperwork for me,as I thought it might be a duplicate order as I had delivered the same lot 2 days ago."The end of the queue is where you belong "says he,and closes the shutter. About 2 hours later,my turn.He opens the shutter and tells me to back my motor in.He closes shutter and takes my notes,looks in filing cabinet and says “Duplicated order return to sender,pull your lorry out” Where the hell do they get these people from ?