WTF

If your boss said to you that you need a hgv to drive a 7.5 tonner.

What would you say to him.

Mark

He is probably right if you passed your test since 1995…
(but check the year)

I know what you are saying.

But you cannot drive a class 2 truck with that licence.

When i say hgv i mean HGV .

Mark

If you passed your car test on or before 31st December 1996, then you would have the entitlement C1 which is for a 7.5 tonner

:grimacing:

delboy98:
If you passed your car test on or before 31st December 1996, then you would have the entitlement C1 which is for a 7.5 tonner

Yeah

So do you now have to take a HGV test to drive a 7.5 tonner?
Mark

delboy98:

If you took your car test after 31st December 1996, then you wouldn’t have the entitlement C1, which means you need to take a test to drive a 7.5 tonner. It seems pretty straight forward to me Brit-Mark. :unamused: :unamused:

If you passed your car test on or after 1 January 1997, all you can drive is a car or a van up to 3500 kilos, your not even allowed to tow a trailer (unless the trailer is under 750 kilos, but not exceeding 3500 kilos overall total) :open_mouth:

Therefore to drive a 7.5 tonner if you passed your car test after 1st Jan 1997, you would have to take a seperate test to drive a 7.5 tonner!! :open_mouth:

I think Mark is making the distinction between a class 3 motor being a HGV, and a 7.5 tonner being less of a vehicle in the sense that the 7.5 tonner is less worthy of carrying the tag HGV.

brit_mark:
So do you now have to take a HGV test to drive a 7.5 tonner?
Mark

No, you have to do a test in a 7.5tonner to get category C1 on your licence. According to the DVLA website this means “a vehicle weighing at least 4 tonnes MAM and capable of at least 80kph” as a test vehicle.

Paul

Tramper:
I think Mark is making the distinction between a class 3 motor being a HGV, and a 7.5 tonner being less of a vehicle in the sense that the 7.5 tonner is less worthy of carrying the tag HGV.

Well on this page on the dvla website they say

DVLA website:
Extra rules for vehicles between 3.5 and 7.5 tonnes (category C1), minibuses with between 9 and 16 seats (category D1), Large Goods Vehicles (LGV) and Passenger Carrying Vehicles (PCV).

To me this would imply that the DVLA don’t count a category C1 vehicle as an LGV.

Paul

Nor me. Just pointing out the facts of what was being said.

I’ve heard the term ‘medium size goods vehicles’ for 7.5 tonners (cat C1) as opposed to ‘large goods vehicles’ for those over, so therefore they are not technically LGV’s (HGV’s).

Thanks for the replies.

My boss said to me that you need a class 2 licence to drive a 7.5 tonner.

I said you did’nt, so i must have been right.
Thanks
Mark

brit_mark:
My boss said to me that you need a class 2 licence to drive a 7.5 tonner.

I said you did’nt, so i must have been right.

Yes, you were, although to be pedantic (something I’m very good at!) there’s no such thing as a “Class 2 licence”. You need a licence with category C1 on it to drive a 7.5tonner. This is not the same as category C, which is what he was presumably referring to as a “class 2 licence”.

Paul

I think brit_mark’s boss may have meant Group 2 Licence rather than Class 2. Group 2 Licences are LGV, PCV, C1 - Medium Goods and D1 - Minibus.

best thing to do is forget about Class 1 and class 2 as they dont exist anymore.

it’s now LGV and PCV both of which split into 4 catergories, C1, C and C1+E, C+E (change the C to a D for busses)

dennisw1:
best thing to do is forget about Class 1 and class 2 as they dont exist anymore.

Which is why I suspect he meant Group 2 rather than Class 2. Even if he was still relating back to the old Class system of licence, surely he would have claimed it was a Class 3 required not 2?