WTD!

It seems like this wtd is causing a bit of trouble in the workforce has anyone else noticed it or is it just me?.

At my workplace people are worried about losing overtime an not being paid for AOD also someone else mentioned timesheets and tm,s saying they are adding time to waiting periods etc etc.

I am among a few drivers who will not opt out of the 10 hour night shift and some who have signed it seem to be slightly upset and thus we seem to have 2 groups who are not as frielndly as they used to be :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: .

There is also talk of many drivers seeking other work and not in the transport industry.

Is it just me or have you noticed it too?

I was also told that the AOD is only for the first year then it becomes a definate 48 hour week but i,m not too sure if thats right can anyone confirm?.

There are so many different interpritations of this wtd that it just leaves the mind boggling .

lets all open leisure centres

i think your kid is on radio 2 tommorrow or was it today

jammymut , you say some have opted out ■■? there is no opt out of this that is what a lot of the fuss is about , when they brought this in for factory workers there was an opt out clause , but there is not for transport , have you not read the draft that was put in commercial motor the week it came out , i would of thought every driver in uk would have a copy

porkifer:
jammymut , you say some have opted out ■■? there is no opt out of this that is what a lot of the fuss is about , when they brought this in for factory workers there was an opt out clause , but there is not for transport , have you not read the draft that was put in commercial motor the week it came out , i would of thought every driver in uk would have a copy

If you start work between midnight and 4am then you can only work 10 hours under the new WTD, however if the work force agree then this can be extended so you can do your normal shift.

i stand in the corner with head bowed , corrected :confused:

:smiley: :smiley:

Porkife i work night shift so like gurner said there is an opt out not from the 48 hour average week but only for the 10 hour “working time”.

I for one would NOT like to opt out as i think 10 hours “working time” is enough for anyone you can still be asked to do a 15 hour shift whether you opt in or out , i just dont want to do that much work in a night.

The WTD is a shambles but I suppose it is good for people like Jammy who actually don’t want to be forced to do a 15 hour shift. That is probably the best thing about it, it introduces choice to the worker instead of “Do it or your sacked.”

I understood that you could only opt out of that 10 hour night rule if the workforce collectively agree. If there are a couple that don’t opt out then nobody can opt out.

Mind you saying that for the past 5-6 weeks i’ve pretty much had my head up my own arse so i don’t really know whats going on about it all

Hey Tiggz…can i put my head up there too :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

10 out of 10 for effort trucky

If you get this months T&D there is a fairly clear article on the WTD seems to make sense to my addled brain

i havent managed to track down a copy of T&D yet :frowning:
from what i have read, the final draft isnt out yet and there may still be changes so how can we hope to have a clear idea of what will happen to us?
i still cant get my head around the WTD as it is so i am waiting for the definate rules to be published before i try and understand it. then its digital tacho time in a few months. that one could take more drivers out of the industry than the WTD :open_mouth:

It is not an ‘opt out’. It is an agreement, an actual legal document you have to enter into - either with your union or with the rest of your workforce.

A workforce agreement has to be signed by ELECTED representatives, or if there are fewer than 20 employees signed by the majority. You cannot choose to opt out indvidually, it must be agreed with the rest of your colleagues under such an agreement.

(was at WTD seminar yesterday and therefore has big head. excellent chocolate brownies were served. also have big arse)

I gave up driving trucks for a living hoping that when the WTD came in things would be better, i have been out of it for 14 months now, driving a PHV or mini cab to southerners i live in york and the hourly rate for class one here is a joke, McDs pay more an hour.
i maybe thought that the WTD would improve wages and working conditions but what i have read on here and on the grape vine, it doesnt look like it .
i probably make more per mile than a truck does £1.30 per mile and that is in a car that does 40 mpg compared to a truck doing 8 - 9 mpg i dont do the mileage a truck does but i bet i make more profit than some haulage companies do per vehicle, i was gonna use this job as a stop gap until this WTD was sorted and drivers got a decent wage for 48hrs, but it doesnt look like we would get it, i did about 15 years on trucks and really enjoyed it even though the last 2 years of it was on agency work.
Think i will leave it for another year to see if it has improved, but the way this industry is, i shouldnt have thought so.

Dapper Scavenger:
(was at WTD seminar yesterday and therefore has big head. excellent chocolate brownies were served. also have big arse)

You must have eaten a LOT of chocolate brownies then Dapper.
:open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: