WTD - You can work over 48 hours per week

Today I have seen a briefing information pack that Exel are using as part of the RTD education for its drivers. If you want to work more than the 48 hours per week average then you can…but only if the additional hours are NOT in the transport sector, you tell all your employers of the hours worked elsewhere and your tacho regs are complied with.

So is it just me who thinks the spirit and letter of the law are completely at odds with each other?

In that case I think Exel need to check their facts. Working Time Regulations are not unique to the Transport Industry and are already enshrined in several other occupations, Nursing and Medical Care being one of them.

The regulations, as written, relate to ‘Mobile Workers’. If a person is employed in the Transport Industry, then they are a ‘Mobile Worker’, and subject to the Regulations. Whilst there are exemptions for Charitable work, serving in a bar at night would, I think, not be excluded, because the person in question would continue to be a ‘Mobile Worker’.

I’ll stand to be corrected, but I see nothing the Regulations that permits ‘Ancilliary’ employment.

Krankee:
In that case I think Exel need to check their facts. Working Time Regulations are not unique to the Transport Industry and are already enshrined in several other occupations, Nursing and Medical Care being one of them.

Sorry but your wrong on the medical and nursing sector being under any working time directive. A good friend of mine is a nurse, and beleive me, she doesn’t work within the regs.

If they were to introduce the WTD to that profession, the whole system would just fall on it’s knees. A nurse can do agency work and get paid £60 PER HOUR… that’s how short they are of nurses. and bear in mind thats a 12- 15 hour shift on £60 PER HOUR.

tiggz:

Krankee:

Sorry but your wrong on the medical and nursing sector being under any working time directive. A good friend of mine is a nurse, and beleive me, she doesn’t work within the regs.

If they were to introduce the WTD to that profession, the whole system would just fall on it’s knees. A nurse can do agency work and get paid £60 PER HOUR… that’s how short they are of nurses. and bear in mind thats a 12- 15 hour shift on £60 PER HOUR.

yeah ok tiggz, i’ll change careers 2morrow if thats the case :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

kitkat:

tiggz:

Krankee:

yeah ok tiggz, i’ll change careers 2morrow if thats the case :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

she ain’t that far off the mark… right hospital,right ward… my better half is a nurse… and the money is rolling in… but would you do a 9 hour shift with only 10 minutes for a quick brew?

what would be the point in me actually stating something if it was a load of ■■■■■■?

She’s an Intensive Care Unit Sister, trust me she gets the money and travels for it to.

tiggz:
what would be the point in me actually stating something if it was a load of [zb]■■?

She’s an Intensive Care Unit Sister, trust me she gets the money and travels for it to.

theres a difference there straight away there tiggz,1st of all you said that she was a nurse,you didn’t state that she’s a sister and works in intensive care .

i presume sister’s get more pennies than a nurse plus being in a high dependancy unit would give them alot more responsibility,so the pay would need to be of a higher rate for that type of job.

so tiggz you don’t need to get the attitude head on if you state the proper facts at the start and it would be better understood.
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

To return to the original thread, I understood the WTD Regs allowed you to work upto 60 hours a week and the 48 hours was worked out as an average over either 4 or 6 months.
I stand by to be corrected lol :smiley:

kitkat:
theres a difference there straight away there tiggz,1st of all you said that she was a nurse,you didn’t state that she’s a sister and works in intensive care

I have a friend who tells people he ‘works with computers’. Chances are he’s a PC World service engineer, £15k per year and a company car.

kitkat:
i presume sister’s get more pennies than a nurse plus being in a high dependancy unit would give them alot more responsibility,so the pay would need to be of a higher rate for that type of job.

As it turns out, he’s a program writer £50K basic, + loads of bonus’s and a very nice company car!

kitkat:
so tiggz you don’t need to get the attitude head on if you state the proper facts at the start

I’d say what Tiggz said was ‘normal’. It is how we communicate normally. If some one wants more detail it’s normal to ask, not to expect a full explanation from the word go.

I think you were a tad harsh, KitKat. :unamused:

well said marcus, thank you ■■

As I understand the WTD the hours involved are driving and otherwork i.e. unloading it doesn’t include the time you are sat around on your arse at a depot waiting to be tipped (this is classed as time “available to work” (cross hammers) and is not counted as part of your 48 hrs working time.

My current job see’s me doing a 12 hour day, and 2 trips. 6 hours driving and maximum 3 hours tipping and reloading so that’s 9 hours of working time and that leaves me with 3 hours “available to work” - sat doing nothing. So therefore I can work 5 12 hour shifts a week should I want too, as it is I only do 3 so it’s not going to effect me.

The main point of WTD is to bring the hours down of those that do multidrop work and are on the go all day and reducing fatigue related incidents.

Crash Override:
As I understand the WTD the hours involved are driving and otherwork i.e. unloading it doesn’t include the time you are sat around on your arse at a depot waiting to be tipped (this is classed as time “available to work” (cross hammers) and is not counted as part of your 48 hrs working time.

Not quite right. The time sat around waiting doesn’t count towards the 48 hrs as long as you know how long you’ll be waiting. If you’re told an hour and its anything over that then only the hour you were told is discounted.

I think you were a tad harsh, KitKat

nothing harsh in my post m8,just call it as i read it

I’d say what Tiggz said was ‘normal’. It is how we communicate normally. If some one wants more detail it’s normal to ask, not to expect a full explanation from the word go.

no but if someone places something up then they should have evidence to back it up.on checking the internet for these type of jobs nothing touches £900 for a 15 hour shift in any hospital or £720 for a 12 hour shift,so unless they can back the info up then i’m affraid i won’t believe it untill i see it for my own eyes.

tiggz:

lost yer tongue :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

:imp: Never mind the nurses. Has anybody found out where to lost earnings from when the overtime is cut?
I know the rates will creep up slowly when the employers realise the wagon is standing for half the week but the summer is looking pretty grim from where I am sitting.
i drive an 8 leg roll on/off so POA’s won’t affect me because I am mobile break to break.
The only thing I can think of is to buy 2 gallons of lucasade and get my 9 year old down the quacks. that ADHD pays well so I hear

kitkat:

tiggz:

lost yer tongue :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

no just my dad kitkat…

For those who are concerned about possible loss of earnings why

do you not approach your employer and speak about your worries.

I am not converstent with the way the Inland Revenue works in

the U:K , where I AM WORKING AT present our employer can use

the firms accountant to exploit the holes in the system so that he

can pay for certain work, with out 1. breaking the law 2. not haveing

to pay tax on the money 3.loseing drivers due to low earnings.

IF YOU DO NOT ASK THEN WHO IS AT FAULT:

:cry: I have talked to my employer and we (all the drivers at our depot) are now negotiating but it does not look like we will get far.
I am on holiday for two weeks looking around for a more sympathetic management. No point staying where I am if they aren’t prepared to listen.
The depot manager spent two hours on Monday saying how we were losing money but he did not raise any points which related to drivers. All the problems appear to be in the admin not how the job gets done.
The wall is making my head hurt now :unamused:

just a quick note today i recived a letter asking if i wished to opt out of the 48 hrs regulations (can they do that)■■?

after speaking to my boss his comments was as follows::

time spent waiting (available to work) does not count towards your 48

another rumour is signing the trucks over to drivers on a self-employed basis so it is the driver responsability to fall inline with the regs and not the company!!!

can they do this!!! :unamused:

TUBS:
another rumour is signing the trucks over to drivers on a self-employed basis so it is the driver responsability to fall inline with the regs and not the company!!!

can they do this!!! :unamused:

This has been brought up before; try using the search button and look for ‘WTD’. Sorry, I haven’t got time just now!!

As I recall, some of the wording in the WTD makes it clear that you have to be able to work for anyone (if self-employed) to be exempt from the legislation. By being contracted to one ‘employer’ you will still be subject to the WTD regs.

It is the same situation for some people whoe are genuine owner-drivers but are contracted to one company i.e. tipper drivers.