WTD and roadside checks

I suspect that the first time anyone will be interested in your WTD records will be in the investigation after you’ve been involved in an accident.
Then the manure will come into contact with the air circulation system if you have no records, or if your records don’t show that you have been complying with the regulations.
If the accident is a fatality then you can expect the investigation to involve the use of a mighty fine toothcomb.

The thing that really gives me the hump is that its all work, if I am in a wagon, sat waiting in some ■■■■■ drivers room or having a break in a layby I am still in work, I am paid salary and only work days, no nights out and start around the same time each day, the quicker I do my job the more time I have at home away from work.

I will admit on a open forum that I tip on break, put the tacho on POA when tipping, but I stick to the tacho regs and never get any infingments, apart from the WTD ■■■■■■ I want to be home as soon a possible, that’s what matters to me, not some draconion law.

I thought the wtd 6 hr rule didnt come in till next year,■■?
it is just advisory at the moment- our compny tries to get you to take it but doesnt allow for it in the routing but does allow a 45 - sometimes!
you are entitled to the 6hr break- take it

i take it when it suits me to do so, but if im having a bad day and company ■■■■ me off i take a 6 hr break!

unless some says im wrong??

how does POA cancel out the WTD rules? or vice cersa?

demonbiker:
it is just advisory at the moment- our compny tries to get you to take it but doesnt allow for it in the routing but does allow a 45 - sometimes!

i take it when it suits me to do so, but if im having a bad day and company [zb] me off i take a 6 hr break!

unless some says im wrong??

You have a lot of home work to do!

Wayne:
I want to be home as soon a possible, that’s what matters to me, not some draconion law.

Very good Wayne, and we all feel the same i think. But lets for a minute imagine (say) a greek driver coming from Greece to deliver here, or visa verca, you can see the cause for restriction on what people do?

Mike-C:

Wayne:
I want to be home as soon a possible, that’s what matters to me, not some draconion law.

Very good Wayne, and we all feel the same i think. But lets for a minute imagine (say) a greek driver coming from Greece to deliver here, or visa verca, you can see the cause for restriction on what people do?

Thats what Tacho regs are for, if the powers that be can’t stop the Greek driver running bent with one set of rules how are they going to do it with two sets and two different bodies enforcing the rules.

Wayne:

Mike-C:

Wayne:

Thats what Tacho regs are for, if the powers that be can’t stop the Greek driver running bent with one set of rules how are they going to do it with two sets and two different bodies enforcing the rules.

Well we only have one set of rules, but plenty of bodies (in different countries) enforcing them. But for your original question as to who is enforcing them, as i said before it is meant to be your company. I remember a while ago, (i’m sure i’ll be corrected if i’m wrong!), Rob-K posted that he had been stopped a few times by VOSA and not pulled over for flouting the six hour rule, not that you should take this as a ‘green light’ to flout it but just a mention of how they where coming down on it at the time[just after its inception].
But hey, i aint the law and i think you (Wayne’it’s a load of bull’)and Edward ‘it’s a complete nonsense’ Teller could champion our cause and make the pages of Comercial Motor yourselves. I can imagine your bosses now saying “he signed the forms saying he knew his obligations with regards to EU driving regs and WTD but he chose to flout them, and as our nannies, grandads brother in laws sister had died we couldn’t devote as much time as we like to run the buisness and they took advantage”.
Just do it Wayne, ignore it. I personally think the 45 minute break is a pain in the arse, as is the ‘restrictive’ 9 hour daily rest reduction, but hey they don’t listen to me like everyone else!!! Anyway, at least we know what we’re meant to be doing even of we don’t do it hey?!!

Mike-C:

demonbiker:
isnt it just advisory at the moment ■■

• our compny tries to get you to take it but doesnt allow for it in the routing but does allow a 45 - sometimes!

i take it when it suits me to do so, but if im having a bad day and company [zb] me off i take a 6 hr break!

unless someone says im wrong??

Didnt really answer my question tho!

demonbiker:

Mike-C:

Didnt really answer my question tho!

Ok, here goes!

No, its effective now.

isnt it just advisory at the moment ■■

No.

- our compny tries to get you to take it but doesnt allow for it in the routing but does allow a 45 - sometimes!

The 30minute break requirment after 6hours can count towards your 45minute break requirment if you hit the 4 and half hours drive.

unless someone says im wrong??
:open_mouth:

It doesn’t.

POA does not count as other work, the same as rest does not count as other work, so if you did a ten hour shift and five of those hours was POA, you have only done 5 hours work. (Even though you were still in work).

Wayne.

Ok i’ll hold me hands up :open_mouth: i’ve never taken a POA, as far as i’m concerned, i’m either Driving Working or having a break. As for the 6 hr rule i thought that if your duty was going to exceed 9hrs, then you were required to take 45 mins at 6hrs, well this is what i do, though if you’re doing all driving, then you’ll need your 45min’s at your 4.30hrs driving time, which cancel out the 6hr rule :wink:

eddie snax:
Ok i’ll hold me hands up :open_mouth: i’ve never taken a POA, as far as i’m concerned, i’m either Driving Working or having a break.

Nothing wrong with that, thats all i do.

eddie snax:
As for the 6 hr rule i thought that if your duty was going to exceed 9hrs, then you were required to take 45 mins at 6hrs, well this is what i do, though if you’re doing all driving, then you’ll need your 45min’s at your 4.30hrs driving time, which cancel out the 6hr rule :wink:

After 6hours work you need 30 mins and after another 3hours work (total now 9 hours work) you will need to add 15mins break to that making total 45 mins break. Unless your driving kicks in a 45 before that happens as you say. Almost right Ed !!

Mike-C:

eddie snax:
. Almost right Ed !!

Thats Me :wink: :wink:

See almost got that last post right :unamused:

As far as i’m concerned at my place its the best thing thats happened.My wages have gone from £8.06 to £11.15 an hour to compensate for the less earnings.

It just annoys me that the number of drivers i speak to say “oh, i’m exempt”
or were not bothering.But then they moan their on £7 an hour flat rate.
If they did the job properly then they would reaslise they can’t earn enough by doing the job legally.And would either negotiate a rise or find a better paid job that did’nt expect its drivers to break the law.

Tony b

tonyb…:
It just annoys me that the number of drivers i speak to say “oh, i’m exempt”
or were not bothering.b

We all have our little irritations, mine is driver’s that moan about 12 or more hours a day, or starting early or working late, or heaven forbid a night out in the truck :unamused: Its lorry driving, that what you do. Personaly i’m happy with 60 hrs or so a week, and if the rates go up then that is reflected in my bonus, i for one havent and never will rejoice the 48hr week, but like so much rules and regs you just have to make the best of it, a lot like lorry driving :wink:

Putting aside the Eastern Europeans, but without them or the 48hr week, this wages and hours business would have been sorted out by supply and demand, EG - the more driver’s who left the industry because of the low wages and long hours, the more pay and/or better condition’s would have had to been offered to a smaller pool of driver’s, to atract them too or stop them from leaving transport firm’s, as things improved then some would be attracted back, and new people would train, this would then level out over time.

Though we will never know, because of the large and misgiuded hand of political interference :unamused:

eddie snax:
i for one havent and never will rejoice the 48hr week

Me neither.

eddie snax:
but like so much rules and regs you just have to make the best of it, a lot like lorry driving :wink:

You’re not wrong. :wink: The whole 48 hour week thing is a non starter anyway, a few weeks ago i clocked up, and was paid for, 84 hours but because of the amount of POA and breaks it was a nice and neat 46 hour week as far as the WTD was concerned. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Coffeeholic:
[ a few weeks ago i clocked up, and was paid for, 84 hours but because of the amount of POA and breaks it was a nice and neat 46 hour week as far as the WTD was concerned. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

KER-CHING in a large wad styly :sunglasses:

And like a true Scot, you only had a pound in your pocket for brew :wink:

But the whole thing has become a farse :unamused: , and praise be for that, the sooner its done away with the better, :wink: