Driver hours offences and the WTD

what’s the score with the “half hour after 6 hours” rule under the WTD, if you breach it?

If caught by VOSA is it punishable in a similar way to normal tacho offences?
Is it just the driver who gets a slapped wrist or is it the company as well?

I’ve found it so bloomin’ difficult to get it right, when I’ve been on multi-dropping (not a problem now, on night-trunking mind) - and I ask cos I just got back a paper to sign confirming I understand the offences, from the company I’m driving for.

How does it become a problem if you are taking your statutory breaks afetr 4.5 hrs total driving, if you are sticking to that you cannot exceed the 6hr working rule.

CM:
How does it become a problem if you are taking your statutory breaks afetr 4.5 hrs total driving, if you are sticking to that you cannot exceed the 6hr working rule.

Like he said, doing multi-dropping etc, you may well only get to 4.5 hours driving after say 7 hours work. For example I worked 9.25 hours yesterday but only had a total driving time of 6 hours exactly. I only had one drop so it wasn’t a problem but other days when I’ve had say 8 drops, you’re stopping and starting all day and stopped period can be up to 30 minutes at places so your duty time is mounting up like no tomorrow but driving time isn’t.

CM:

Very easily, in the past I’ve had days were I have driven for less than 1 hour, so no 45 minute break required, but worked for 10, 12 or more hours.

CM:

On-site and clock ticking at say, 5am.
Given box, paperwork, keys to wagon, go couple up, queue to get out, pass security etc in 35 minutes.
Drive say, 70 miles to the 1st drop, taking 90 minutes to do so.
Drop 12 pallets, into a shop’s back yard, out of sight of trailer-rear, and so having to lock up each time in case of cigarette or booze theft (on my head be it if there’s a theft before the shop staff sign for it). Time taken say, 1 hour.
Drive to next drop in order to hit time-band, and say 25 miles across the city (Birmingham for example). That’s another hour drive-time. It’s a residential area so manouver trailer in to the tight alley-way, and begin the tip so I can get moving and unblock the pavement ASAP. 8 pallets, taking 40 minutes cos cigarette seals have to be checked, and shop-keeper keeps disappearing to serve people.
Drop eventually complete, take 15 minutes cos I’m knackered but still looking out for traffic wardens (they’re harsh in brum).
Next site in the adjacent city 30 miles away through urban roads - taking 1hr 10 minutes. Arrive on site, stop on the roadway to nip in and find out how they like it dropped, check out the side-road and access, back in and manouver round, avoiding pedestrians and parked cars. total a bit over 5 minutes.

Now, we’re already at 6hr 15mins, and only driven 3hr 45m.
I’m supposed to have stopped en-route between 2 and 3, on urban roads to take half an hour - often impossible without causing obstruction or breaking the law.

And thing is quite often, say I’ve got a 6-hit run round south and west yorkshire that I’ll not only be pushing it on driver hours and duty hours by the old regs, let alone with having to take longer finding suitable places at unsuitable times for breaks that used to fit in naturally with a drop order but now have to be taken early.

Like I say, glad I’m on the night-trunk but thats only cos I’m carrying an injury for now - won’t last forever :smiley: