The WTD 6 hour rule

What’s the deal with it? What can vosa do to you if you ignore it or go over 6 now and again?

Shoot you, pump you, empty your pockets, kill your dog, smoke your ■■■■ and drink your beer.

Steve-o:
What’s the deal with it? What can vosa do to you if you ignore it or go over 6 now and again?

It would have to be in a company visit they found any WTD infringements, they do not currently bother too much with WTD compliance in roadside checks. The initial thing would likely be education rather than sanction.

Coffeeholic:
they do not currently bother too much with WTD compliance in roadside checks.

I though geebee45 said they did check this 6 hour rule but I stand to be corrected if I have remembered wrong.

ROG:
I though geebee45 said they did check this 6 hour rule but I stand to be corrected if I have remembered wrong.

I think you may be referring to when he said this.

geebee45:
not really too bothered about RTD breaks at roadside, but if records suggest that the Regulation is not being adhered to then that could trigger an Operator visit.

That suggests it isn’t being checked but if it appears the WTD is being ignored then that might trigger a visit to the company rather than any action taken against the driver.

Thanks coffee. You sort of put my mind at rest. The way I see it is, there is no way I’m stopping at 5:55 minutes when 6:05 can get me to the burger van.

Could be, but I thought he said something specific about the 6 hour rule ■■

As I said, probably remembered incorrectly…

ROG:
Could be, but I thought he said something specific about the 6 hour rule ■■

RTD breaks and 6 hour rule are surely the same thing?

Steve-o:
The way I see it is, there is no way I’m stopping at 5:55 minutes when 6:05 can get me to the burger van.

I would have thought that for most drivers, the tacho breaks would be needed well before the need for RT(WTD)R breaks - breaks count for both but the tacho split break rules must be adhered to (15 then 30)

Coffeeholic:

I seem to remember that something was said about roadside checks being impossible for the RTD breaks except the 6 hour rule… probably not… but it makes sense

I’m off distance and on local so 6 hours WTD usually comes before any driving break is needed. I get lots of POA so sometimes it can be as late as 3pm before I need a 45 tacho/WTD break. I ususally get it on break when ever I can so I’m not stuck sitting around close to finishing time. I will never ever tip/work during rest mode though, that’s my nap time haha

ROG:

Coffeeholic:

I seem to remember that something was said about roadside checks being impossible for the RTD breaks except the 6 hour rule… probably not… but it makes sense

Maybe you are thinking of this

geebee45:
I wouldn’t worry too much about the WTD. As most employers (and their drivers) have opted for at least 17 week reference periods, it is virtually impossible to enforce WTD at the roadside.

That seems to be more about the 48 hour average thing and there was no mention of the 6 hour thing in that post.

like i always say at these times
4 hours duty 30 min break 4 hours duty 30 mins break 4 hours duty go home
sorted
i never said its legal but it works for me

By the roadside they can only give education on the WTD - look in the Enforcement Sanctions Policy document on their site, it lists all possible infringements and the action that they can take.

Worth remembering though that it could trigger an operator visit and every visit now has to involve a full WTD check, it’s government policy.

So who checks for WTD for any other sector of industry? Speak to anyone outside of road haulage and you will get a blank look if you say working time directive.
Has anyone actually been done for WTD infringements?
How can the government, who must do as told by the EEC beurocrats (unelected) tell one agency check truckers are adhering to it but not have any form of check in place for the rest of the UK workforce.

DoYouMeanMe?:
So who checks for WTD for any other sector of industry? Speak to anyone outside of road haulage and you will get a blank look if you say working time directive.
Has anyone actually been done for WTD infringements?
How can the government, who must do as told by the EEC beurocrats (unelected) tell one agency check truckers are adhering to it but not have any form of check in place for the rest of the UK workforce.

From HSE website;

“More formal enforcement responsibilities are split between HSE, the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA), the Vehicle and Operator Services Agency (VOSA), and the Maritime and Coastguard Agency (MCA)”

When you say “Has anyone actually been done for WTD infringements”, operators have certainly been to PI over it and it can be prosecuted in court but I’m not personally aware of this happening.

From DfT website;

“The Courts have a system of fines and custodial sentences that can be applied to anyone who persistently contravenes the Regulations.”

Like a broken speed limit, 6 hours is not a target. I would simply stop at the burger van earlier. 15 minutes break will cover your arse