WTD question.

Hello dears :laughing:

A point was raised in conversation t’other day and I have no idea what the answer is :question:

If, as a lorry driver, you work more than 6 hours without a break, what are the implications? As an example - 2 hours driving followed by 2 hours dis-loading, then 1 hour re-loading then more than 1 hour driving which takes you beyond 6 hours working time. (That’s just a made-up example to illustrate the point. And yes, you’d have a break somewhere in there to keep legal, but if you didn’t?..)

What can/would happen in such cases?

Easy! Don’t go over the six hours. Anyone who wants to work up to six hours without a break for a brew or butty wants their head testing. If I remember correctly, should you go over six hours, it is a WTD infringement which picks up 1 point for tacho infringements so really is nothing to worry about. But keep doing it and it will be picked up on.

threewheelsonmywagon:

A point was raised in conversation t’other day and I have no idea what the answer is :question:

If, as a lorry driver, you work more than 6 hours without a break, what are the implications? As an example - 2 hours driving followed by 2 hours dis-loading, then 1 hour re-loading then more than 1 hour driving which takes you beyond 6 hours working time. (That’s just a made-up example to illustrate the point. And yes, you’d have a break somewhere in there to keep legal, but if you didn’t?..)

VOSA don’t actively enforce the RT(WT)R so probably nothing would happen other than you being issued an infringement by the company you drive for, however if VOSA ever did a company inspection and found that the company had arbitrarily ignored the regulations it could lead to further action.

The 6 hour rule is one of the working time regulations that are very easy to check at a road-side check so personally I abide by it, apart from that the company I drive for enforces it so I don’t have much choice :wink:

Not only that but I wouldn’t want to work more than 6 hrs anyway without a break even if it was legal to do so .

threewheelsonmywagon:

To be legal you would need just 15 minutes break somewhere in that example, if you didn’t your transport manager would waste endless sheets of paper writing infringements with various times required varying from 15 to 45 minutes, and you would waste time signing them :stuck_out_tongue:

I would get 15 minutes in whilst tipping and loading because a fork truck driver will not go 3 hours without a pot of tea, neither will I