Would you work for this?!?!?!?!?

Driver - HGV class 1

Driving in Northern and Southern Ireland and Great Britain

Job Reference : 881271 No. of Vacancies : Not Specified
Contract type : FULL-TIME / PERMANENT Hours Per Week : 40
Location : North and South of Ireland, COLERAINE, CO. LONDONDERRY Closing Date : Wed Jul 01 2009
Salary : £5.73 negotiable BRITISH POUND

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Sign of the times - just another employer taking advantage of the fact that there are more drivers than jobs - this is quite common nowadays - unfortunately…

I certainly wouldn’t… Sadly, though, there are people out there that will - which devalues everyone else. :imp:

me personally based in leeds ( i know certain areas varie ) i would rather take my chances on the agency for 2 maybe 3 days a week.

Imagine what will happen if the Tories get in next and do away with the minimum wage. £4 per hour anyone?

I dont get it, how can someone with so much resposibility be paid so little? Surely road haulage is too much of a safety critical area to force people to work for next to nothing. Pay peanuts, get monkeys. Road safety will suffer, lives will be lost, but if it makes someone a few quid, who cares?

have seen similar ads and i think they just fill in the minimum wage,but the proper wages etc are discussed at interview.

Lankytim:
I dont get it, how can someone with so much resposibility be paid so little?

I wonder how many other “Proffessionals” work for that rate

We are now or are going to be … proffessionals … Is that not what the CPC means ■■ :unamused:

Ragnarok:
Imagine what will happen if the Tories get in next and do away with the minimum wage. £4 per hour anyone?

yes imagine…all the so called single parents may have to work for a living :open_mouth: all the self inflicted obese people will lose there mobility allowance,thus freeing up the highways from them scooter things…and supermarkets…has anyone else noticed the increase of these things in the last few years?granted for the elderly and infirm,but take a closer look at the “type” of folk using them now…fat,■■■ hanging out the mouth layabouts that clog up our streets on route to the daily fix of bingo…labour?for the working man/women…i don’t think so. my opinion & no offence intented.

V8Actros:

Ragnarok:

yes imagine…all the so called single parents may have to work for a living :open_mouth: all the self inflicted obese people will lose there mobility allowance,thus freeing up the highways from them scooter things…and supermarkets…has anyone else noticed the increase of these things in the last few years?granted for the elderly and infirm,but take a closer look at the “type” of folk using them now…fat,■■■ hanging out the mouth layabouts that clog up our streets on route to the daily fix of bingo…labour?for the working man/women…i don’t think so. my opinion & no offence intented.

no wot u mean mate no a bloke just like it,his scooters a white green n yellow volvo :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: ,seriously totaly agre with were your coming from ,

i might depending on just how negotiable they are (leaving the geography out of it of course) planning on being. it would take at least another £3 per hour before i would consider it and that would depend on the amount of hours i can get. some jobs i have been offered are 45 hours and i see that as part time. £9 P/H (day rate on weekdays), overtime after 8 hours, min 55 hours a week or get someone else

can be when you read the ads further or make a contact they say wages and hours can be discussed/explained at interview,the minimum wage and basic hours just seems to be there to fill the blanks on the advert.certainly not going to get a job doing distance work and 40 hours a week.

Nah i wouldnt drive a truck for that kinda money, i’d work for minimum wage but be doing something else like working in a bar or somthing.

I think if you work for that kinda wage just doing the industry down and are letting yourself be walked all over.

One agency used to do a lot of work with, they sent a letter out saying they were droping their rates due to the economic situation back in Feb, they werent giving me much work anyways. They called up for me to do a shift and told them to forget it because of the rates being lowered, its getting to a point its not worth my while 60-70 mile round trip to work, wear and tare on the car and at times only a 8 hour shift.

They call back up week late desperate for drivers, low and behold i can get my normal rate. Somtimes gotta stick to your guns.

Scroll right down to bottom of that advert mate and it says wage negotiable over teh phone. Maybe its just a standard procedure selection when they insert teh ad■■?

scottishcruiser:
Scroll right down to bottom of that advert mate and it says wage negotiable over teh phone. Maybe its just a standard procedure selection when they insert teh ad■■?

probably because they know ■■■■ well no driver would work for that. you would be better off on the dole and you could get unskilled work paying more so why take the responsibility of driving when you could be stacking shelves for more money and less outgoings? i hope no decent driver phones them. recession or not, we are all better than that!

they dont want to put wages on advert so they just put a figure,normally minimum wage,and then when you follow it up they talk money :unamused:

Lankytim:
ISurely road haulage is too much of a safety critical area to force people to work for next to nothing.

no-one is ‘forcing’ them to work for that rate. if you (as 99% of drivers would) value yourself over that then leave it be. he will get someone to work for that but i think it is not hard to work out the type of driver it will be.

DISGUSTING :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation:

McPloppy ©:

Lankytim:
I dont get it, how can someone with so much resposibility be paid so little?

I wonder how many other “Proffessionals” work for that rate

We are now or are going to be … proffessionals … Is that not what the CPC means ■■ :unamused:

Your lot aren’t that much in front where wages come into it

But just think about it, you might get a fancy Scanny with lots of goodies bolted on :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :wink:

I’ll keep me Renault and a good wage :smiley: