Wooo!

8wheels, I dont remember seeing you, I was probably in a world of my own. :slight_smile: :blush:

Saaamon:

Toast:
Thanks again everyone it is a great feeling. :grimacing:

Saaamon:

8wheels:
Nice one,

You trained with ACE? I saw their rigid this morning coming out of the BP in Harlow. Was that you?

Well done on your pass, when you doing trailer test? I trained with ace, cant rate them highly enough.

No, I didnt go with them in the end I went with K W and daughters, they have been brilliant. I’m going back todo my C+E November time. Saaamon you have your trailer training soon dont you?

kate x

Yeah 3rd of oct training starts, looking forward to it, just want to get it over and done with, cant stand driving tests! Where abouts are you from, i assume essex/hertford area? Have you got any work lined up?

Well good luck for it keep us posted with how you get on, it will soon come round & pass then your wonder what all the fuss was about. I was really nervous yesterday but after about 10minutes in to the driving I relaxed about it all. Dont put to much pressure on yourself. Yea near stansted/dunmow, dont know if you know it. No no work lined up as of yet, I’m working in a full time job at the moment so not in any major hurry to find something but will be getting my cv out there see what I can find or might wait till I have got my C+E then look for something.

Toast:
8wheels, I dont remember seeing you, I was probably in a world of my own. :slight_smile: :blush:

Saaamon:

Toast:
Thanks again everyone it is a great feeling. :grimacing:

Saaamon:

8wheels:
Nice one,

You trained with ACE? I saw their rigid this morning coming out of the BP in Harlow. Was that you?

Well done on your pass, when you doing trailer test? I trained with ace, cant rate them highly enough.

No, I didnt go with them in the end I went with K W and daughters, they have been brilliant. I’m going back todo my C+E November time. Saaamon you have your trailer training soon dont you?

kate x

Yeah 3rd of oct training starts, looking forward to it, just want to get it over and done with, cant stand driving tests! Where abouts are you from, i assume essex/hertford area? Have you got any work lined up?

Well good luck for it keep us posted with how you get on, it will soon come round & pass then your wonder what all the fuss was about. I was really nervous yesterday but after about 10minutes in to the driving I relaxed about it all. Dont put to much pressure on yourself. Yea near stansted/dunmow, dont know if you know it. No no work lined up as of yet, I’m working in a full time job at the moment so not in any major hurry to find something but will be getting my cv out there see what I can find or might wait till I have got my C+E then look for something.

Yeah i know stansted and dunmow well, one of my mates lives in dunmow and so does some of my family. I live in saffron walden. There is work out there, helps if you know the right people, thats how i got my job, new driver coupled with being 22 isn’t ideal so was very lucky.

Did you do your test in chelmsford? Thats where i’m doing my artic, went there for a drop in a rigid last week and it was like a bloody rat race!

Congratulations on passing your Cat C :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Saaamon:
Yeah i know stansted and dunmow well, one of my mates lives in dunmow and so does some of my family. I live in saffron walden. There is work out there, helps if you know the right people, thats how i got my job, new driver coupled with being 22 isn’t ideal so was very lucky.

Did you do your test in chelmsford? Thats where i’m doing my artic, went there for a drop in a rigid last week and it was like a bloody rat race!

Oh really your not fair then. Yea deffinetly helps if you know the right people you sound very lucky! theres a guy I know through my parents bussiness his going to send me over some contacts so will wait and see what he comes up with. Being only almost 21 its not going in my favor, but least I can now drive the horse box and hopefully something will come along soon.

Yea did my test in Chelmsford had a really lovely examiner called Paul. Your be ok, It’s not that bad untill its school time then its a nightmare but I suppose thats the same anywhere. Do you know what time your test is?

bonnie lass:
Congratulations on passing your Cat C :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Thankyou Bonnie lass :smiley:

Well what do you expect coming from Saffron Walden :laughing: :laughing:

No no work lined up as of yet, I’m working in a full time job at the moment so not in any major hurry to find something but will be getting my cv out there see what I can find or might wait till I have got my C+E then look for something.Toast

You could try 3663 in Harlow, it’d be bloody hard graft but good experience and I think they take new drivers.

Toast:

Saaamon:

Oh really your not fair then. Yea deffinetly helps if you know the right people you sound very lucky! theres a guy I know through my parents bussiness his going to send me over some contacts so will wait and see what he comes up with. Being only almost 21 its not going in my favor, but least I can now drive the horse box and hopefully something will come along soon.

Yea did my test in Chelmsford had a really lovely examiner called Paul. Your be ok, It’s not that bad untill its school time then its a nightmare but I suppose thats the same anywhere. Do you know what time your test is?

I’ve asked the planner to spend me out round chelmsford way over the next couple of weeks so i can get the feel of it. Dont really know anything, as far as i know its on friday so hopefully morning ish, are there silly bus lanes that you can only use at certain times there? Cant stand them! Is there any kind of work in haulage that you’e got a specific interested in having a go at? I’d love to have a spell on flats one day aswell as plant.

8wheels:

Well what do you expect coming from Saffron Walden :laughing: :laughing:

I’d be even more zbed if i came from norfolk lol.

8wheels:
You could try 3663 in Harlow, it’d be bloody hard graft but good experience and I think they take new drivers.

Thanks I will give them ago, Its the experience that I need.

Saaamon:
I’ve asked the planner to spend me out round chelmsford way over the next couple of weeks so i can get the feel of it. Dont really know anything, as far as i know its on friday so hopefully morning ish, are there silly bus lanes that you can only use at certain times there? Cant stand them! Is there any kind of work in haulage that you’e got a specific interested in having a go at? I’d love to have a spell on flats one day aswell as plant.

Yea good idea least your get to know your way round pretty well and the roads, Yea theres a bus lane in New London road think you use it after 10 or 11 O’clock not sure up to what time tho. Your have to check the sign as i cant rememeber lol. i think thats the only bus lane, well its the only one on all the test routes I went round in the last week. They are a pain esp when theres a car parked in them!
I’m up for giving most things ago, just really want the experience, I am going to have to start off somewhere,

Congtatulations on the pass
Get yourself out there and keep plugging away take no notice of rejections eventually someone will say yes and your away I know Dbc have depots in chelmsford and newmarket they were looking for drivers a while back might be worth a go ?
Good luck anyway
Jen x

Toast:

8wheels:

Thanks I will give them ago, Its the experience that I need.

Saaamon:

Yea good idea least your get to know your way round pretty well and the roads, Yea theres a bus lane in New London road think you use it after 10 or 11 O’clock not sure up to what time tho. Your have to check the sign as i cant rememeber lol. i think thats the only bus lane, well its the only one on all the test routes I went round in the last week. They are a pain esp when theres a car parked in them!
I’m up for giving most things ago, just really want the experience, I am going to have to start off somewhere,

Doesn’t sound to bad then. Yeah you kinda have to take what your given and be prepared to bend over to keep it lol. I’m not keen on the type of work i do but enjoy just building up the start of hopefully a good career, i’m out on a 7.5t tomorrow, only the second time i’ve driven one, its a nice break from driving 6wheelers, hardly any weight limits and 50 on single carriage ways, ahh bliss.

Saaamon:
Doesn’t sound to bad then. Yeah you kinda have to take what your given and be prepared to bend over to keep it lol. I’m not keen on the type of work i do but enjoy just building up the start of hopefully a good career, i’m out on a 7.5t tomorrow, only the second time i’ve driven one, its a nice break from driving 6wheelers, hardly any weight limits and 50 on single carriage ways, ahh bliss.

No not that bad :wink: yea I know what you mean but like you say start at the bottom and buliding your self up to get a good career. I suppose its quite nice to have a change now and again. Where do you plan to end up then?

Jennie:
Get yourself out there and keep plugging away take no notice of rejections eventually someone will say yes and your away I know Dbc have depots in chelmsford and newmarket they were looking for drivers a while back might be worth a go ?
Good luck anyway
Jen x

Thanks Jen, I will give them ago aswell. Hopefully I’ll find something soon.
I love how everyone is so friendly and helpful on here. Thanks again :smiley:

Jennie:
Good luck anyway
Jen x

DBC and Brakes both have a biggish depot in Chelmsford if you are prepared to travel that far for 4.30 / 5am starts. Brakes also have a smaller depot in Bps Stortford. Both take new drivers, I started with DBC not the work I wanted but deffo worthwhile as a step to other things.

TM at Chelmsford was Phil (badger) Down, dunno if he’s still there or not.

I have already sent over my cv to Brakes. I’m fine with early starts and it only takes me 20-25 toget in to chelmsford so not that bad. How did you find working for Dbc, 8wheels?

Toast:

Saaamon:

No not that bad :wink: yea I know what you mean but like you say start at the bottom and buliding your self up to get a good career. I suppose its quite nice to have a change now and again. Where do you plan to end up then?

Rich and famous! Spose its hard to say as I only know one job but it would nice to do distance work with nights out, I’d like to have a go at most things just to say I have, but its early days and who knows what could happen.

Toast:
I have already sent over my cv to Brakes. I’m fine with early starts and it only takes me 20-25 toget in to chelmsford so not that bad. How did you find working for Dbc, 8wheels?

I didn’t like the early morning starts and found the whole job repetitive. I was a spare driver and never allocated a route or vehicle, I’d cover for holidays / sick leave or help a regular driver if every vehicle was covered. In a way I got the variety as I’d not be doing one job for too long but every drop was more of the same, lugging stuff into a kitchen or store room.

On the plus side, there were lots of other drivers to learn from about using the vehicle, managing the load, and also route knowledge. You’d often get given grub at the school kitchens and a few tips from the butchers and every so often they’d go through the freezer store and clear the short or out of date food and sell outers of stuff at £2 / box.

If I’d not been set on getting on to Plant work it would have been an OK job and I’d have stayed longer. The pay was a bit strange though, something like this.

£400 week basic. (sounds Ok) Including an attendance bonus of £35

We pay you for 47 hours at £7.50 hr even if you do it in less. This includes your breaks, however if you work into overtime they will stop you the breaks and only start paying overtime rate at 49 hours. Overtime rate was 30p on basic rate. Therefore you could work 40 hours and get £400 or 50 hours and get £407.80. No-one ever did or wanted overtime. It was also ■■■■■■■■■■ across the week meaning that you could have a couple of 12hr days and then they’d give you an easy run to get the average down again.
Also if you got back too early, you ran the risk of getting sent back out again whilst some of the layby dwellers would have skived about and would roll in a little later, reload and go home.
At least with a properly hourly paid job you get for what you work and overtime is when you go over your contracted hours.

That’s how it is (or was) but it wasn’t a bad job once you knew how to play it.

Doesnt sound like to bad of a job, the pay way does sound abit strange tho. It doesnt sound like something Id like todo forever, but least its all experience gained. I’ll get in touch with them. Thanks :slight_smile:

Saaamon:
Rich and famous! Spose its hard to say as I only know one job but it would nice to do distance work with nights out, I’d like to have a go at most things just to say I have, but its early days and who knows what could happen.

:laughing: I think we would all like to be rich and famous!

Toast:

Saaamon:

:laughing: I think we would all like to be rich and famous!

If i play my cards right i could end up being an eddie stobart truck driving superstar…

Think i’ll learn to tie a noose be for that could happen lol.