Woke up with a flat battery in France

As title says…i’m now waiting for recovery to come out and get me going again. As i’m on a French motorway services, Volvo are not permitted to come out to me. It has to be through those orange SOS boxes on motorway even though i’m safely parked up in services lorry park. Tried jumping it off with another lorry who kindly helped but to no avail. My battery is down to 18v. No idea why it has died overnight as i don’t have a telly or other gadgety things to drain battery and not left any lights on.

I’d have thought that a teddy bear would be more suitable to wake up with :laughing:

peirre:
I’d have thought that a teddy bear would be more suitable to wake up with :laughing:

Not finding that funny as i still wait for them to turn up :smiley:

Has anyone mentioned ABS?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18v is extremely low. I’ll bet it’s more than just a single dead cell, especially if a jump failed.
Private companies often come out to service areas but the big players all play by the rules regarding concessions etc.
Anyway good luck, and I hope you ain’t paying the bill !

Franglais:
18v is extremely low. I’ll bet it’s more than just a single dead cell, especially if a jump failed.
Private companies often come out to service areas but the big players all play by the rules regarding concessions etc.

Stand-by for the great blame game. £10 says they’ll start by blaming the o.p. for leaving his lights on… :unamused:

Franglais:

18v and seeing other threads about dodgy Volvo batteries one has died

A breakdown van came and he got his mobile battery charger out and initially did the same as we did which was put the red lead on that metal tube which pulls out at rear of unit by the run up bars and put the black lead on the metal frame, but it was still dead. So he took the front battery cover off and put the black lead on something in there and it fired up straight away.
Sorry for my lack of description in using the correct jargon as i’m not mechanically minded.

£300 was the charge

If I had seen this earlier I would have suggested exactly that. 18v you need to be direct to battery, too much power loss the other way. Abs lead wouldn’t have worked either at 18v.

Having replaced a two year old set 6months ago, one battery had over charged, making it bow out, and the other boiled dry, upon removing them, the cable that joins them,had severely corroded, there was corrosion under the plastic battery container, and corrosion on the main feed cable, battery box was washed out and oiled, battery container washed out, new jumper cable made, new terminal fitted too the supply cable, all signs of battery acid removed washed. Has been fine since, get Volvo to reset battery circuit, and check what the standby settings are… O and use Volvo batteries,

V4 batterys arnt up to the job, due to the amount of juice they use, a known Volvo problem, hence why they want you to have the new secondary gel batteries too.

18V at least one if not both batteries are knackered. Once a battery drops below 11.6V its suffered internal damage.

Last wagon I owned was a Daf 85 on contract maintenance. Batteries replaced every 2 years automatically as cheaper than a silly o’clock callout.

ArcticMonkey:
£300 was the charge

Surely 24 volts would be the charge?

Yeah alright, I’ll get me coat!

Beau Nydel:
Last wagon I owned was a Daf 85 on contract maintenance. Batteries replaced every 2 years automatically as cheaper than a silly o’clock callout.

We all know this is correct, but the people who pay the bills don’t they just see the cost of batteries, not the bigger picture,…

biggriffin:

Beau Nydel:

We all know this is correct, but the people who pay the bills don’t they just see the cost of batteries, not the bigger picture,…

correct me if i’m wrong but isn’t there s decent weigh in when buying new battreies ?

m.a.n rules:

biggriffin:

Beau Nydel:

correct me if i’m wrong but isn’t there s decent weigh in when buying new battreies ?

Ours just sit near the scrap bin, and the local pickey-scrap man takes em,.
Dealerships sell them for recycling, there’s a big company I think in the Midlands who collect from motor trade, got Dafs and mountys on em.

Think my old batteries ended up on trade ins :slight_smile:

Went to Volvo at Le Mans to get 2 new batteries put on just to be on the safe side and gaffer wants the old ones bringing back

the nodding donkey:

Franglais:

Stand-by for the great blame game. £10 says they’ll start by blaming the o.p. for leaving his lights on… :unamused:

No lights left on, i don’t use an inverter or watch telly and laptop. No idea how it’s happened