Volvo FH batteries flat again

Yesterday I traveled from Manchester to Tilbury, parked up over night with the night heater on intimitently, then this morning dead flat. Volvo came out fitted 2 new batteries under warranty (15 plate). Fitter told these new trucks are going through batteries like there’s no tomorrow and Volvo plan to start fitting 4 batteries from 2017 2 purely for starting and 2 for everything else…!

All these electric gizmos they are putting in.

Radar19:

Like microwaves, domestic kettles, play stations etc… :grimacing:

the nodding donkey:

Radar19:

Like microwaves, domestic kettles, play stations etc… :grimacing:

It was only a matter of time before problems like this was going to turn up . And yet drivers and others would have you believe the new Volvo`s are the greatest thing since sliced bread ■■?.

Go back on log books, don’t need electic for them ! What’s a playstation ■■ :slight_smile:

raymundo:
Go back on log books, don’t need electic for them ! What’s a playstation ■■ :slight_smile:

You should enjoy a playstation. It’s got a gear stick.

We have same kinda issues with our new volvos. Like driver will go do a delivery using taillift plus side lights on for interior lightning. Maybe 25-30minutes dead as a dodo. Don’t know if ours have been replaced on warranty though would need to ask the boss.

Too much ■■■■■ running off the batteries. Isotrak, cameras, anti collision sensors, lane departure, anti front collision radar. All a load of needless crap.

backload:
Volvo plan to start fitting 4 batteries from 2017 2 purely for starting and 2 for everything else…!

I’ve always thought that trucks, like boats and motorhomes, should have separate starter and leisure batteries.

Our 2015 Volvo is on it’s 5th heater blower, they don’t like wet weather either, slipping and a sliding :unamused: Constantly telling you to stop, electrical malfunction. Comfortable truck, but poor product for a Volvo.

What Silly Billy’s you all are,Volvo and Renault are almost one.Volvo gave Renault ALL the good bits…Renault gave Volvo…the electrics…
…Renault owner, it’s a fact.

Volvo’s have always been a problem for this since the days of FL’s and long before the game boy generation got behind the wheel, long weekend standing like at Christmas you’d better turn the bloody thing off at the mains or fair chance it’ll be a no go.

Armagedon:
What Silly Billy’s you all are,Volvo and Renault are almost one.Volvo gave Renault ALL the good bits…Renault gave Volvo…the electrics…
…Renault owner, it’s a fact.

Tis true for the rigids, renault brake pads required not volvo.

Harry Monk:

backload:
Volvo plan to start fitting 4 batteries from 2017 2 purely for starting and 2 for everything else…!

I’ve always thought that trucks, like boats and motorhomes, should have separate starter and leisure batteries.

Every time I get a new truck it’s something I think about doing but never get round to.

Probably wouldn’t cost a lot more than a call out for a jump start.

merc0447:
We have same kinda issues with our new volvos. Like driver will go do a delivery using taillift plus side lights on for interior lightning. Maybe 25-30minutes dead as a dodo. Don’t know if ours have been replaced on warranty though would need to ask the boss.

Too much [zb] running off the batteries. Isotrak, cameras, anti collision sensors, lane departure, anti front collision radar. All a load of needless crap.

In theory LED sidelights should these days substantially reduce battery drain.

It sounds like these Volvos either have a flaw in the circuitry design or a problem with the charging set-up that’s murdering the batteries prematurely.

Own Account Driver:

Harry Monk:

backload:

Every time I get a new truck it’s something I think about doing but never get round to.

Should be done by the manufacturers. All it would cost would be two extra batteries and a split charge relay.

Harry Monk:

Own Account Driver:

Harry Monk:

backload:

Should be done by the manufacturers. All it would cost would be two extra batteries and a split charge relay.

But now that sounds like a domestic battery set up like we have on a boat, or a campervan. Not what you would expect in a truck. Its taken this long to get big cabs as an industry standard. The electrics will be a bit longer. Just like the toilet build in under the passenger seat. But that will open an other can of worms… :wink:

You would think in this day and age there would be something that wud start the engine automatically if the batteries get to low on amperage

bubsy06:
You would think in this day and age there would be something that wud start the engine automatically if the batteries get to low on amperage

There is an alternative , but most truck manufacturers haven`t taken it on board yet :wink: :unamused:
(think this was covered in a previous Mack air start thread ).

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air-start_system

Bit short on Space with 3 axle

Not just Volvos either! I had my first inkling something was wrong when the truck alarm didn’t go off this morning, second clue was the dim interior lights followed by the ominous click when I pressed the start button! Hey ho, at least my flask is full of hot water.