Wide load notification

Hello there, I am on again, :confused: :confused: to ask you lads for some “profesional expert” advice. :unamused: :unamused: I have been moving wide loads,“porta cabin bases and cielings” locally, and the manufacturers have sorted out the legalities of informing the police of the width, route etc. :smiley: :smiley: now they want me to move them a bit further and have asked me to sort out the paperwork. Its about 200 miles to the destination passing through several counties, no load over 3.5 metres wide. :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: Where do I start ■■?

dft.gov.uk/pgr/roadsafety/dr … an4651.pdf

Here is a start from DFT

i,m sure you can do it online now but i cant find the link now, someone sent it to me but i stopped doing the long/wide stuff 6 months ago so had no need for it

i believe rikki may be able to help or send a pm to jj72. he is something to do with STG and seems a very helpful bloke.

I’m pretty sure you’ve been able to do it on-line for a long time.

When I was doing wide loads, (only 3.0m - 3.5m wide, not proper wide), which was over 10 years ago, I’m sure my boss was e-mailing the permit applications. (I worked on British Steel, delivering steel plate).

That form, which Wheel Nut provided a link to, had to be completed and sent to each Police area that a notifiable load was going to pass through, for each individual load. Permission had to be received from each Police area before the load could proceed through that area. It includes load dimensions, route planned to be taken (which they can reject, usually offering an alternative) and possibly planned timings.

There was an alternative system for companies doing wide-ish stuff, not requiring an ■■■■■■ (like I was), on a regular, frequent basis.
You could apply for an annual permit from each Police area through which you passed with these loads. I seem to remember that you had to be going to regular customers using set routes, it wasn’t a carte blanche to go wherever you liked.
You then had to submit a weekly or monthly report on what loads you had moved, including dimensions and routes.

Neither of these types of permit was a free service either, they had to be paid for.

I don’t know if A link exists. You probably still have to request permission from each Police area, so there would be a page of links. It shouldn’t be too difficult to find those links though. You’ll know where your going, so which Police areas your going through, and the company your working for will probably help you with the local Police, the general procedure, etc initially.
It should be simply a matter of finding the Police HQ’s web site for each area.
You’ll want to do a bit of routing research before applying. Low bridges for eg. It’s no good getting permission from one police area to use a particular route, only to find the next area refuses because there’s a (say) 12’ bridge a couple of miles further along that route. They might supply you with an alternative route which doesn’t join up with the previous (or next) area. You’d then have to revise your route through the other area, if you see what I mean. That sort of thing would be frustrating for you and for the police, plus it would take extra time you may not have.

The usual system is to fax the order (download and print the form in wheelnuts link, then fill in details and fax) to each countys constabularys abnormal load officer, and if they don’t come back to you its ok presume everything is kosher, but don’t, as some countys hav’nt a clue where all the roadworks are :unamused:
The highways agency set up the ESDAL web site a couple of years ago, you planned your route on screen using the map of the uk and it gave all the contact details for the different forces (fax no’s) for the movement order to be faxed to, and was quite easy to use.
But…unfortunately they saw fit to upgrade it :exclamation: , probably because it was too easy to use and didn’t fall within the usual gov criteria requiring it to be a complete load of ■■■■■■■■ and unusable. Now you need to go on a course to get your head round how to use it, but then it keeps people in jobs training grannies how to ■■■■ eggs.
I’ve gone back to the old sytem of a simple UK map of the countys, and faxing/emailing each countys constabularys abload office, which is good enough for operating between 2.9m to 4m wide, and within 44 tonnes.
If you need all the contacts they can be found seperatly on the ESDAL site,
esdal.com/public-4-004/inde … Kzg**.EPT2
but I think you have to register first to get access, have fun :grimacing:

EASY AS THAT THEN !!! :cry: :cry: Thankyou Gents, see you in three weeks :confused: :laughing:

sampopmat:
EASY AS THAT THEN !!! :cry: :cry: Thankyou Gents, see you in three weeks :confused: :laughing:

3 weeks :question: :question: , I like an optimist :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: