Wide Loads and Long loads

Hi guys

Got a quick question about long loads e.g. loads hang over the rear or the front.

According to my DSA LGV book a loads projecting over 305mm (12 inches) beyond the width of the vehicle require side markers and notification etc.

Does any know what the laws are regarding loads projecting to the rear?? Does the adove rule or does different rules apply??

My company states its 1 metre but they are the biggest cowboys going. Ive been told by various different people its 1metre, 1/2 metre, 18 inches, 2 metres etc…

I need to find the law in writing to show my boss. I can`t find it anywhere on the net.

Thanks Guys

JIm - one confused trucker

lincolnshire.gov.uk/upload/p … Guide2.pdf

Thanks you. Will print out and show the boss.

Thanks Again

Jim

I used to deliver steel plate for BSD (then Corus). A 3.0m wide load was normal, 3.5m was a bit wide and if I could see the sides of my trailer it was narrow.

A movement order application, for a wide or long load, has to have details of the weight and dimensions of the load and a detailed route plan. Every police force on the route has to be notified separately.

There were several places I used to deliver to on a regular basis, some places it was daily. Instead of having to declare the route 2 days in advance of every load, we had permanent (annually renewed) movement orders. Every month we had to notify each Police force on the routes we had used, details of the loads we had moved over the last month.